Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.24
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q169 V165
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Johnson (Cornell) Class of 2017 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
taehyun89 wrote:

i know you didn't ask me, but just thought it would be helpful to add another data point

i received my call 3 hours after admission results were posted online

A challenger appears.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
freeflow wrote:
seechange wrote:
INTERVIEW OPTIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS

Hi all,

Any international applicants have conducted the interview outside of Ithaca and London? My invite just gave me two options of Ithaca and London. I'm based in Southeast Asia. I reckon they must give options for international students? Does anyone know if they give preferences to in-person vs. Skype interview; with their recruiters vs. with an alum?

Would appreciate any insights from you.

You can interview over Skype. They understand most internationals won't be able to interview in person. All kinds of results are possible for all kinds of interviews :wink:

Good luck!

Ugh that doesn't sound good for Skype interviewees then. I read on a couple of forums that alumni interviews may be available depending on locations, but the Interview Coordinator I'm in touch with confirmed that there are only 3 options: in-person in Ithaca, in-person in London and Skype. Does anyone know if Johnson still has the alumni interview option in other locations, preferably Asia?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
seechange wrote:
freeflow wrote:
seechange wrote:
INTERVIEW OPTIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS

Hi all,

Any international applicants have conducted the interview outside of Ithaca and London? My invite just gave me two options of Ithaca and London. I'm based in Southeast Asia. I reckon they must give options for international students? Does anyone know if they give preferences to in-person vs. Skype interview; with their recruiters vs. with an alum?

Would appreciate any insights from you.

You can interview over Skype. They understand most internationals won't be able to interview in person. All kinds of results are possible for all kinds of interviews :wink:

Good luck!

Ugh that doesn't sound good for Skype interviewees then. I read on a couple of forums that alumni interviews may be available depending on locations, but the Interview Coordinator I'm in touch with confirmed that there are only 3 options: in-person in Ithaca, in-person in London and Skype. Does anyone know if Johnson still has the alumni interview option in other locations, preferably Asia?

I actually don't think I've heard of Alumni interviews for Johnson this year. From my understanding, all interviews in Ithaca were performed by adcom or members of the Johnson Admissions Group (JAG). The JAG is a student group and so I believe most members here that interviewed in Ithaca were interviewed by current students.

From what I've experienced and what I can tell from reading others' experiences here, interviews with current students, alumni, and adcom are all very different. If you interview via skype you'll likely be interviewing with a member of the adcom. Take a look on this thread to see how others handled interviews with adcom. It should give you a good idea of what to expect and what kind of questions they'll likely ask you.

However, just because you won't be interviewing with an alumnus, doesn't mean you can't try to reach out to one on your own. If you do get the chance to connect with one in Asia, it'll likely give you a great talking point in your interview to show your interest in Johnson and that you have a proactive type of personality.

:gl !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
alwayswaiting wrote:
roose011 wrote:
alwayswaiting wrote:
Anyone know what the odds of getting one of the big-time scholarships are if you are invited to fellowship weekend? I had lost hope for Johnson and was about to put the deposit in elsewhere when I got a call inviting me to the party.

I got called for scholarship weekend as well, so I'll see you there. They hold 3 scholarship weekends. I don't know how many they invite at each one, but they told me that they're inviting 20-25 individuals to this one. Assuming that that number holds true for the other weekends (though probably is higher at the earlier weekends) you have about a 1 in 3 chance if about 25 individuals receive the Park Fellows. So, it's between you, me, and some other person. :wink:

Is there a fight to the death? Because I was never very good at hand-to-hand combat.

I actually got a call as well out of the blue yesterday afternoon - what a pleasant surprise, but not very much notice at all! Now I have to rearrange my Darden plans, AND I have to prepare for a fight to the death inside the steel cage of case studies...

Looking forward to seeing all of you over the next two weeks. Did anyone who got that call yesterday receive an official email yet? And are you going up both this weekend and for Destination Johnson the following weekend?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
alwayswaiting wrote:
roose011 wrote:
alwayswaiting wrote:

I got called for scholarship weekend as well, so I'll see you there. They hold 3 scholarship weekends. I don't know how many they invite at each one, but they told me that they're inviting 20-25 individuals to this one. Assuming that that number holds true for the other weekends (though probably is higher at the earlier weekends) you have about a 1 in 3 chance if about 25 individuals receive the Park Fellows. So, it's between you, me, and some other person. :wink:

Is there a fight to the death? Because I was never very good at hand-to-hand combat.

I actually got a call as well out of the blue yesterday afternoon - what a pleasant surprise, but not very much notice at all! Now I have to rearrange my Darden plans, AND I have to prepare for a fight to the death inside the steel cage of case studies...

Looking forward to seeing all of you over the next two weeks. Did anyone who got that call yesterday receive an official email yet? And are you going up both this weekend and for Destination Johnson the following weekend?

I just decided to take a whole week and a half off and go to both events (I'm coming from dallas, so I didn't want to spend money on two round trips). I'm going to take a look at housing options, grocery stores, talk to students, etc. for the days between the two events.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
taehyun89 wrote:

I just decided to take a whole week and a half off and go to both events (I'm coming from dallas, so I didn't want to spend money on two round trips). I'm going to take a look at housing options, grocery stores, talk to students, etc. for the days between the two events.

I still have not received the official email. I plan on calling the office today and asking for more details.

I will be going for the scholarship weekend, and if that seals my fate at Johnson I will probably go to DJ as well. Fortunately I live close enough to Ithaca to drive there and back without too much hassle.

Also, re:grocery stores - Wegman's. They have attained a somewhat cult-like following in the area. Nothing else compares.

Edit: Shortly after writing this, I received the official email. Let the games begin.

Originally posted by alwayswaiting on 03 Apr 2015, 08:14.
Last edited by alwayswaiting on 03 Apr 2015, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
alwayswaiting wrote:
taehyun89 wrote:

I still have not received the official email. I plan on calling the office today and asking for more details.

I will be going for the scholarship weekend, and if that seals my fate at Johnson I will probably go to DJ as well. Fortunately I live close enough to Ithaca to drive there and back without too much hassle.

Also, re:grocery stores - Wegman's. They have attained a somewhat cult-like following in the area. Nothing else compares.

+1 Kudos for the Wegman's recognition! I love that place!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
dtse86 wrote:

If I learned anything from my interview in Ithaca it's that Wegman's and bowling are serious business. :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mbaplz wrote:
dtse86 wrote:

If I learned anything from my interview in Ithaca it's that Wegman's and bowling are serious business. :lol:

Several sections worth of the bowling PE class fill up every year...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Well I look forward to seeing any of you who will be attending scholarship weekend. Is there anyone else who was invited that didn't apply for park?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I actually don't think I've heard of Alumni interviews for Johnson this year. From my understanding, all interviews in Ithaca were performed by adcom or members of the Johnson Admissions Group (JAG). The JAG is a student group and so I believe most members here that interviewed in Ithaca were interviewed by current students.

From what I've experienced and what I can tell from reading others' experiences here, interviews with current students, alumni, and adcom are all very different. If you interview via skype you'll likely be interviewing with a member of the adcom. Take a look on this thread to see how others handled interviews with adcom. It should give you a good idea of what to expect and what kind of questions they'll likely ask you.

However, just because you won't be interviewing with an alumnus, doesn't mean you can't try to reach out to one on your own. If you do get the chance to connect with one in Asia, it'll likely give you a great talking point in your interview to show your interest in Johnson and that you have a proactive type of personality.

:gl ![/quote]

Thanks a ton! I think you're right about Johnson not offering alumni interviews. I'm increasingly leaning towards the Skype option as opposed to flying out, as both are conducted by adcom or members of JAG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Are there any current students lurking here? If so, can you please shoot me a private message?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Random question - does anyone have any experience with securing housing prior to scholarship and financial aid stuff being all figured out? Just wondering how accommodating landlords are to letting students sign a lease on a place before they have proof of financial aid. Or, maybe there is some sort of alternative to this? Any insight is appreciated!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
fuzzypenguin wrote:
Random question - does anyone have any experience with securing housing prior to scholarship and financial aid stuff being all figured out? Just wondering how accommodating landlords are to letting students sign a lease on a place before they have proof of financial aid. Or, maybe there is some sort of alternative to this? Any insight is appreciated!

It's possible - I put a deposit down and filled out all the paperwork later. Oddly enough, they let me do a lease with a W-2 from work while I was still employed, so I went that route instead. Different apartments do things differently, wouldn't hurt to make contact before coming to Ithaca. Also, if you go the Craiglist route, private landlords are probably way more flexible on that issue.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I got a request from a Cornell applicant to put together an interview guide. If any of you are still have an upcoming interview, check out my Cornell MBA interview guide.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ConsultingOrBust wrote:
I got a request from a Cornell applicant to put together an interview guide. If any of you are still have an upcoming interview, check out my Cornell MBA interview guide.

Thanks a bunch!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
ConsultingOrBust wrote:

many thanks, very helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts