GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a preferred

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a preferred  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Sep 2018, 02:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:07) correct 33% (01:04) wrong based on 419 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Judge Lois Forer’s study asks why do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among rich and poor.

(A) do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among

(B) some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed between

(C) do some litigants have a preferred status over another in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among

(D) some litigants have a preferred status to another in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact not equally distributed between

(E) does one litigant have a preferred status over the other in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact they are not equally distributed among

Originally posted by KocharRohit on 09 Nov 2009, 02:33.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Sep 2018, 02:28, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a preferred  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:22
Hirendhanak:

In direct speech:

Jack “hi, Jill, when do you plan to go up the hill?

In reported/indirect speech: Jack asks Jill when she plans to go up the hill.

Here the do has been removed and merged with the main verb as done in an affirmative statement.

Direct Speech:
Jack asked Jill “Hi, when does your mother think of going back to her house?
Reported / indirect speech:

Jack asked Jill when her mother thought of going back to her house.

There may be some exceptions, but by and large this is the general use of “do and does” in direct interrogative sentences.

For example, look at the following example which is just a reported speech and a statement.

He said that he always used to muse why do some people vote for corrupt parties. Here the use of the word do is a mistake. The correct form will be: He said that he always used to muse why some people vote/voted for corrupt parties.

Sorry, if I have dragged you too much

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Re: Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a preferred  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2009, 03:00
"asks" does not require "do" or "does". Eliminate A, C and E.

Between B and D, D contains two errors. "have a preferred status to another", here another cannot be used as a pronoun so it does not properly complete the comparison. Also "in theory" should contain a "which" before it because "which" will refer directly to the noun right before it, namely the courts.

Answer would then be B.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2009, 12:17
IMO B

B - main verb is 'have' - have a status over another ..... preferred modifies status - it is not the main verb

D - main verb is preferred - preferred status to another (meaning changes as it says status is preferred to something else like prefer icecreams to chocolates) .... Actually meaning is some people have preferred status over others' (status).

Hope it helps in some way ..... i couldnot better explain than this....

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 10:08
One small to Mr. Alit. By pre - empting the answer, it is not going to be interesting. I suggest that you float your question for a while and then come out with your reasoning. This will invite various dimensions and you will get deeper insight.

Coming to the passage, ‘why do’ or ‘why does’ is used in direct speech while the ‘do or does” will be dropped in reported or indirect speech. So we can drop A, C and E.

Another split is that we need to use ‘between’ because there are only two categories namely rich and poor. So choices using among rcan be eliminated. Between B and D, the decider is the user of the correct idiom, ‘status over’. ‘Status to’ is a wrong idiom . Hence D can be ignored, leaving only B as the royal answer.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 01:16
daagh wrote:
One small to Mr. Alit. By pre - empting the answer, it is not going to be interesting. I suggest that you float your question for a while and then come out with your reasoning. This will invite various dimensions and you will get deeper insight.

Coming to the passage, ‘why do’ or ‘why does’ is used in direct speech while the ‘do or does” will be dropped in reported or indirect speech. So we can drop A, C and E.

Another split is that we need to use ‘between’ because there are only two categories namely rich and poor. So choices using among rcan be eliminated. Between B and D, the decider is the user of the correct idiom, ‘status over’. ‘Status to’ is a wrong idiom . Hence D can be ignored, leaving only B as the royal answer.

Can you simplify the above with an explanation and example

thanks in advance

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 05:48
Going through the above posts i am not able to conclude regarding which is the correct idiom - "status over" / "status to".
Can anyone please help?
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2015, 23:28
The idiom needs prefer. Status is a noun so is not a part of an idiomatic expression.

"preferred" is not being used as a verb in any of the answer choices, so the idiom "prefer x to y" does not apply here..

"which" totally refers to "courts", as it should, and everything is fine. i couldn't tell what you thought the problem was with "which"..

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 09:10
Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among rich and poor.

Is this not a subjuntive case. use of 'ask'.

Pls help
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 02:02
rishabhdxt wrote:
Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among rich and poor.

Is this not a subjuntive case. use of 'ask'.

Pls help

No, it does not require a subjunctive case. Here "ask" is used to put forward a question, not to demand something.

Moreover, "that" would be required after "ask", even if it were used as a bossy verb that requires subjunctive.

I asked him why he was late. (question: not a bossy verb, hence does not require subjunctive)
I asked him to leave. (bossy verb, but without "that": subjunctive is not required).
I asked that he leave. (bossy verb with "that": subjunctive required)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 04:33
A.among rich and poor - incorrect. among is used for more than 2.
B. seems correct.
C.among rich and poor - incorrect. among is used for more than 2.
D. preferred status to another. It should be preferred status over another
E. among rich and poor - incorrect. among is used for more than 2.

KocharRohit wrote:
1.Judge Lois Forer’s study asks why do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among rich and poor.

(A) do some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among
(B) some litigants have a preferred status over others in the use of a public resource, the courts, which in theory are available to all but in fact are unequally distributed between
(C) do some litigants have a preferred status over another in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact are unequally distributed among
(D) some litigants have a preferred status to another in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact not equally distributed between
(E) does one litigant have a preferred status over the other in the use of a public resource, the courts, in theory available to all but in fact they are not equally distributed among
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 02:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a preferred &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 02:32

Judge Lois Forer's study asks why do some litigants have a preferred

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap