GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 13:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Julie wants to be sure that she has enough pies for each of her

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
G
Reviews Badge
Julie wants to be sure that she has enough pies for each of her  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 21:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:24) correct 62% (01:41) wrong based on 120 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Julie wants to be sure that she has enough pies for each of her 30 guests to have at least one slice. One pie can be divided into eight slices. If \(⌈x⌉\)represents the least integer greater than \(x\), and \(x\) is greater than \(0\), will \(⌈x⌉\) pies be enough for each guest to have at least one slice?

(1) \(5 < 2x < 12\)

(2) \(x\) is a multiple of \(3\)

** When even your best effort fails, do you back down from chasing your dreams ??? **

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Oct 2018, 02:21
\(\frac{30}{8}\)=3 r 6
Need 3 pies + 6 slices.
So, we need 4 full pies

1)Note that this is 'x' not ⌈x⌉.
Smallest x is around 2.6. 2x2.6=5.2
2.6=⌈3⌉ isn't enough for 3 pies+ 6 slices
Largest x is around 5.9. 2x5.9=11.8
5.9=⌈6⌉ is enough

Insufficient

2) x=0, 3, 6, 9...
Insufficient
⌈1⌉⌈4⌉⌈7⌉⌈10⌉

Together
x=0, 3, 6, 9...and ⌈x⌉=⌈1⌉⌈4⌉⌈7⌉⌈10⌉
2x>5
x can't be 0
2x<12
Can't be 6 or larger
Only option left is x=3

x=3, therefore ⌈x⌉=4
So we know that number of pies is between 3 and 4. Could be less than, equal to, or greater than 3.6
Insufficient
E

EDIT
I am wrong btw. I wasn't careful about the original condition saying x>0

Originally posted by philipssonicare on 28 Oct 2018, 00:15.
Last edited by philipssonicare on 28 Oct 2018, 02:21, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Oct 2018, 17:16
From statement 1:

\(5<2x<12\)
\(2.5<x<6\) x can be 3, 4 or 5.

If 3 pies then 8*3 = 24 slices. Not enough
If 4 or 5 pies then 32 or 40 slices. Enough.
Insufficient.

From statement 2:

x is a multiple of 3.
Already given that x > 0. So, min value of x can be 3. Then [x] is 3. Then 8*3 = 24 pies. Not enough.
If x is 6 then 48 pies. Enough.
InSufficient.

Combining both gives only x as 3. So 24 pies. Not enough.

C is the answer.

When you want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you achieve it.

Originally posted by Afc0892 on 28 Oct 2018, 01:48.
Last edited by Afc0892 on 28 Oct 2018, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Julie wants to be sure that she has enough pies for each of her  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 07:51
Got my mistake.
X is number of pies means x is integer.
Here I did mistake taking X as positive fractions.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 12:08
I have a silly doubt.

Can someone please clarify if 5.1 would be considered as a multiple of 3 or not (as 3 divides it completely)? If not, please let me know why.

Thanks for the help.
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Julie wants to be sure that she has enough pies for each of her  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 12:16
sssjav
https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/fact ... iples.html

"Multiples of Anything
We must multiply by an integer, but the number that is being multiplied can be anything.

Example: Multiples of π
..., −2π, −π, 0, π, 2π, 3π, 4π, ..."

3 is the number being multiplied, so it must be multiplied by an integer
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 17:14
Somebody can explain, why the answer is C?, why the option B is insufficient, if we are told that X is >0 and is a multiple of three, the other X should be 4. Therefore, it has to be sufficient.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 17:20
jorgetomas9 wrote:
Somebody can explain, why the answer is C?, why the option B is insufficient, if we are told that X is >0 and is a multiple of three, the other X should be 4. Therefore, it has to be sufficient.

Hi,

From statement 2: It's given that x is a multiple of 3. If x = 3. then Number of pies = 8*3 = 24 pies. Remember x is the number of pies and each pie has 8 slices. So 24 Slices of pie are not enough for 30 people.

If x is 6 or above then the number of slices for 30 would be enough. So both yes or no from statement 2. Hence insufficient.

But on combining both. we get x as 3. only 24 slices. not enough. Hence c is the answer.

When you want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you achieve it.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 17:27
Afc0892 wrote:
jorgetomas9 wrote:

Hi,

From statement 2: It's given that x is a multiple of 3. If x = 3. then Number of pies = 8*3 = 24 pies. Remember x is the number of pies and each pie has 8 slices. So 24 Slices of pie are not enough for 30 people.

If x is 6 or above then the number of slices for 30 would be enough. So both yes or no from statement 2. Hence insufficient.

But on combining both. we get x as 3. only 24 slices. not enough. Hence c is the answer.

But ⌈x⌉ is not least greater than X?, if X equals 3, therefore ⌈x⌉ should be 4 and 4 * 8 =32 , maybe I am wrong in my interpretation.

Is ⌈x⌉>X?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 22:55
jorgetomas9
https://www.mathsisfun.com/sets/functio ... iling.html

⌈x⌉ : This function of x essentially means that x takes the value of the least integer CLOSEST to x, and greater than (or equal to) x: greater only if x is not an integer itself. (I agree that this info is not given very clearly in the question, but I'd suggest to you to learn it anyway)

Note: This is known as the ceiling function of x. The FLOOR function for x, where the brackets are inverted in the shape of an "L" and a mirrored L, would represent the greatest integer less than or equal to x.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 06:36
sssjav wrote:
jorgetomas9

⌈x⌉ : This function of x essentially means that x takes the value of the least integer CLOSEST to x, and greater than (or equal to) x: greater only if x is not an integer itself. (I agree that this info is not given very clearly in the question, but I'd suggest to you to learn it anyway)

Note: This is known as the ceiling function of x. The FLOOR function for x, where the brackets are inverted in the shape of an "L" and a mirrored L, would represent the greatest integer less than or equal to x.

Ok, I get it, thank you very much.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 22:49
In simple words, we need to check whether x is 4 or greater.

1. x is between 2.5 and 6. It could be 3 or 4 so the answer could be yes or no.
2. Insufficient, easily.
Combining, in the range of 2.5<x<6, x=3 is the only case possible for x to be a multiple of 3.
Hence, she has 3 pies and can get only 24 slices. So we get NO.
Sufficient.
C.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 10:04
sssjav wrote:
jorgetomas9

Thank you for the explanation, however I think that the question is poorly worded since it provides an insufficient explanation of the function ⌈x⌉

I would suggest to amend the text of the question. " If ⌈x⌉ represents the least integer greater than x "
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 13:05
Manfo wrote:
sssjav wrote:
jorgetomas9

Thank you for the explanation, however I think that the question is poorly worded since it provides an insufficient explanation of the function ⌈x⌉

I would suggest to amend the text of the question. " If ⌈x⌉ represents the least integer greater than x "

I agree, based on the current wording if x = 3 then [x] = 4
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 21:58
Manfo wrote:
sssjav wrote:
jorgetomas9

Hello

Yes, I think there could be some doubt in the wording: instead of symbolising ⌈x⌉ as 'least integer greater than x', question could have symbolised ⌈x⌉ as 'least integer greater than or equal to x'.

But in either case, answer would still be C only. If we assume ⌈x⌉ to be 'least integer greater than x', then after combining the two statements, x=3 and thus ⌈x⌉ = 4. 4 pies will be sufficient for 30 guests. Answer to the question is a clear YES, and together the two statements are sufficient.

If however, we change the wording of the question to be that ⌈x⌉ means 'least integer greater than or equal to x', then after combining the statements, x=3 and thus ⌈x⌉ is also = 3. 3 pies will NOT be sufficient for 30 guests. Answer to the question is a clear NO, and still together the two statements are sufficient.

So in any case, answer would be C only.
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 22:11
sssjav wrote:
I have a silly doubt.

Can someone please clarify if 5.1 would be considered as a multiple of 3 or not (as 3 divides it completely)? If not, please let me know why.

Thanks for the help.

It cannot be as x represents the number of pies. Re-read the first sentence of the question.

Regards,

Vaibhav

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 02:00
amanvermagmat wrote:
Manfo wrote:
sssjav wrote:
jorgetomas9

Hello

Yes, I think there could be some doubt in the wording: instead of symbolising ⌈x⌉ as 'least integer greater than x', question could have symbolised ⌈x⌉ as 'least integer greater than or equal to x'.

But in either case, answer would still be C only. If we assume ⌈x⌉ to be 'least integer greater than x', then after combining the two statements, x=3 and thus ⌈x⌉ = 4. 4 pies will be sufficient for 30 guests. Answer to the question is a clear YES, and together the two statements are sufficient.

If however, we change the wording of the question to be that ⌈x⌉ means 'least integer greater than or equal to x', then after combining the statements, x=3 and thus ⌈x⌉ is also = 3. 3 pies will NOT be sufficient for 30 guests. Answer to the question is a clear NO, and still together the two statements are sufficient.

So in any case, answer would be C only.

Hi,

I don't agree, if " ⌈x⌉ represents the least integer greater than x, and x is greater than 0 " and if (2) " x is a multiple of 3 " this means that x is 3, 6, 9, etc.. and ⌈x⌉ will then be 4 , 7, 10, etc..

So ⌈x⌉ * 8 > 30 , hence (2) is sufficient. We don't need the first statement. Ans = B

Please re-edit the text since statistics on this question are clearly flawed because of the bad wording..
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 15:00
XavierAlexander wrote:
Julie wants to be sure that she has enough pies for each of her 30 guests to have at least one slice. One pie can be divided into eight slices. If \(⌈x⌉\)represents the least integer greater than \(x\), and \(x\) is greater than \(0\), will \(⌈x⌉\) pies be enough for each guest to have at least one slice?

(1) \(5 < 2x < 12\)

(2) \(x\) is a multiple of \(3\)

Guys, the official answer is: E

Here is the explanation from Manhattan:

Each pie produces 8 slices and Julie needs to feed 30 guests. ⌈x⌉
is defined as an integer, so the question is asking about an integer value of pies. 3 pies would only produce 24 slices, which is not enough. 4 pies will produce 32 slices. Julie will need at least 4 pies to feed all her guests

(1) INSUFFICIENT: Simplify the inequality.

5 < 2x < 12

2.5 < x < 6

x can be anything between 2.5 and 6, giving multiple possible values for ⌈x⌉
. Test Cases to determine whether all values of ⌈x⌉
are at least 4. Keep in mind that x does not have to be an integer, even though ⌈x⌉
does.

Case 1: x = 5.99, ⌈x⌉
= 6. Yes, there are enough pies.

Case 2: x = 2.51, ⌈x⌉
= 3. No, there are not enough pies.

Since there is at least one Yes case and at least one No case, this statement is not sufficient. Eliminate choices (A) and (D).

(2) SUFFICIENT: The question specifies that x is greater than 0. Therefore, x can be any positive multiple of 3. All of these produce enough pies for Julie.

Case 1: x = 3, ⌈x⌉
= 4. Yes, there are enough pies.

Case 2: x = 6, ⌈x⌉
= 7. Yes, there are enough pies.

Eliminate choices (C) and (E).

The correct answer is (B).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Julie wants to be sure that she has enough pies for each of her &nbs [#permalink] 12 Nov 2018, 15:00

Julie wants to be sure that she has enough pies for each of her

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap