GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kelley (IU) vs. Johns Hopkins

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Kelley (IU) vs. Johns Hopkins  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 12:23
Hi!

Looking at part-time/distance programs. Short-term career wise (next 5 years) I need the MBA to check HR's box and qualify for the next level of promotions. Planning on staying in my same company/same industry at least for now. Because of this, the program honestly doesn't matter much. Really any fairly reputable university will do the trick for my current path. However, I want to be mindful of long-term career opportunities as well. I'm not sure where I will be located in the U.S. in 10+ years (I've lived in 7 states thus far, I'm not afraid to move). I want a degree that will carry well across the country and presents a solid educational background no matter where I end up down the road.

Which leads me to a debate: Kelley (IU) vs. Carey (Johns Hopkins). Kelley has a solid online MBA and is a reputable business school. However, I'm not sure how much weight an "Indiana University" degree carries on the east or west coasts. Johns Hopkins has no established MBA program (somewhat new, accredited, but not yet ranked). While a JHU MBA might not mean much now, it might develop into something great down the road - and certainly the general reputation of Johns Hopkins is widely respected across the U.S. and internationally.

Any input on what the better bet is here?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Kelley (IU) vs. Johns Hopkins  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 11:41
I tend to rank all programs based on the FT rankings. Perhaps I am short-sighted but it makes it pretty easy since that's the most competitive side of the business school. It is not a tough choice between Kelley, a top 20 MBA program vs. a John Hopkins, a not ranked MBA program...

I would consider admissions requirements and average GMAT scores for the programs. The more stringent they are, the better the program is ranked, and better it will be. I would not bank on any future potential or good will. I have never seen it play out. It makes little sense to bank on the future and you should only make your bets on the present and what you see in front of you.

P.S. While John Hopkins has a strong name from its Med School, folks who are aware of how the MBA works, will know it is not even ranked. However, the general population would probably recognize John Hopkins more so than Kelley.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.25
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Kelley (IU) vs. Johns Hopkins  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 19:48
First, I'm a JHU (undergrad) alum so I'll just get that out of the way up front.

I think you're in a great position to pick Hopkins. If you were looking to pursue the traditional path of doing an MBA then leaving your current job immediately after, I'd say go with Kelley. But since you're planning to wait to switch for a while, IMO that changes the calculus quite a bit. JHU just got accredited last year- I imagine it will get ranked next year. The average GMAT isn't too far off from Kelley's (650 to 670). But I think the long term potential is quite a bit more in Hopkins' favor. JHU has many more top ranked programs (med school, SAIS, other PHD programs, undergrad) and as a result the name stretches quite a bit farther. Sure, in MBA-specific circles Kelley is better known and will have more clout, but unless you're compulsively checking the rankings or are a b-school recruiter I imagine most will not know that Hopkins is unranked. Additionally, if you're able to get out and meet students in other programs, that network will be much stronger too. I don't think you'd be wrong to pick Kelley, but I do think you can bank on Hopkins having significant upward momentum.

I'll also add that as someone who is at SOM, which I think is in a somewhat similar situation (great university, somewhat lower in the rankings for b-school) there are tons of opportunities that I get from going here that I wouldn't get at Darden, or NYU, or even a place like Tuck. I think the same would be true for you at Hopkins. The strength of the university as a whole will draw in speakers/faculty/recognition beyond the level of its b-school peers.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 1
Kelley (IU) vs. Johns Hopkins  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 12:19
To piggy back, Yale SOM was once #25 in the rankings in 1990, then skyrocketed way up. However, its important to know Carey's location is not on campus and is in fact all the way in downtown Baltimore. You're essentially going to class in a couple floors within an office building. Definitely not like Yale SOM where its integrated with the rest of the institutions. So they are pretty much banking on the JHU name without any of the JHU "experience". But your talking about part time, so this may be a non-factor.
GMAT Club Bot
Kelley (IU) vs. Johns Hopkins &nbs [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 12:19

Kelley (IU) vs. Johns Hopkins

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap