Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)

11% [2]
88% [15]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72884 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)? [#permalink]
Congrats on two great options!

I think you have a misconception of the prestige and reputation. Obviously Kellogg full time is considered > Fuqua, but the widely held consensus is that a full time program from any top 10/15/20 is going to me much more impressive than a part time program regardless of where it's from. The part time programs at Kellogg/Booth etc. have lower admissions statistics by every measure, and don't replicate the true MBA experience. People like to say "once you're a decade out, nobody will know the difference on your resume." That misses the point. An MBA is most valuable in the immediate years following due to the structured recruiting and knowledge, and becomes valuable later in your career due to the intimate network you developed years ago.

You'll be sacrificing the true value of the MBA (experience, recruiting, network, shared experiences, friends) in order to have a marginally better name on your resume.

With all due respect, there is a reason you got into Kellogg (PT) and not into much lower ranked schools like Marshall or Darden. Duke looks like an extremely favorable outcome given your other results, I wouldn't let this opportunity go.

Originally posted by mradamsmith on 10 Jun 2019, 06:45.
Last edited by mradamsmith on 16 Jun 2019, 20:13, edited 2 times in total.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)? [#permalink]
Hi filup

congrats for those schools

The nature of your goal as career switcher is not compatible with PT program. So If I were you, I would accept without hesitation this big opportunity with Duke with its scholarship and great access to consulting field, especially MBB.

Good luck
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72884 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
To add to my earlier post, Kellogg would be a much safer choice as it would allow you to keep working. Recruiting will be problematic while being a remote PT student. It will be really really hard to participate in the events or treks.

Perhaps souvik101990 can share more based on his Ross experience and part timers there.

Posted from my mobile device
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Duke FT for sure
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)? [#permalink]
Kudos
Even as a Kellogg alum (FT), I can tell you that MBB wont recruit you out of PT program. FT networking invites are sent out separately and PT folks are not included unless you feel you can network like crazy to get a foot in the door. Yes, Kellogg connection is extremely strong at MBB, you’ll have to do a lot more to even get invited for interview at MBB.

Ill go with Duke on this one as MBA is all about networking and making connections. Having your classes on Saturdays will not give you tike to network with other MBA students, let alone with recruiters. Something to think about.

DM if you have Kellogg related questions. Happy to guide you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
It looks like everybody wants to work at an MBB after MBA, there are other good post MBA options too- and people should consider those.
Example:
1. IB is more money and less travel
2. Tech is more money, again less travel and significant growth opportunities
3. Media is significant growth because of OTT and M&A
4. Healthcare, CPG, other strategy consulting firms have significant growth and pay well too

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hey Everyone, I ended up choosing Duke. Thank you for the feedback. Your views played an incredibly valuable role in helping me see this decision from other angles and ultimately make a decision I feel good about! :)
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
filup wrote:
Hey Everyone, I ended up choosing Duke. Thank you for the feedback. Your views played an incredibly valuable role in helping me see this decision from other angles and ultimately make a decision I feel good about! :)

Congrats and wish you the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Accounting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
Even as a Kellogg alum (FT), I can tell you that MBB wont recruit you out of PT program. FT networking invites are sent out separately and PT folks are not included unless you feel you can network like crazy to get a foot in the door. Yes, Kellogg connection is extremely strong at MBB, you’ll have to do a lot more to even get invited for interview at MBB.

Ill go with Duke on this one as MBA is all about networking and making connections. Having your classes on Saturdays will not give you tike to network with other MBA students, let alone with recruiters. Something to think about.

DM if you have Kellogg related questions. Happy to guide you.

I kept reading that while the top consulting firms don't recruit from PT programs as much, they do recruit from PT MBA programs if its a top 10 school including Kellogg. Is that not true at all?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Accounting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
JohnJohnJ wrote:
It looks like everybody wants to work at an MBB after MBA, there are other good post MBA options too- and people should consider those.
Example:
1. IB is more money and less travel
2. Tech is more money, again less travel and significant growth opportunities
3. Media is significant growth because of OTT and M&A
4. Healthcare, CPG, other strategy consulting firms have significant growth and pay well too

Yes that's true but I think the tier 1 Consulting jobs put you on a track like no other. I work for a fortune 50 company and I kept running into the executives who report directly to the CEO and the CFO. These executives are all typically in their early 40s so I did some research. Turns out, almost all of them went to tier 1 MBA schools and spent 5-10 years at a tier 1 consulting firms. From there they entered one of the largest companies in the world at 4o-42 as a SVP reporting directly to the CEO or the CFO, right on track to be the next CEO or CFO in the next 1-5 years. I don't think the other jobs outside of consulting put people on that track so fast. So fast is relative of course. I know the 5-10 years these guys spend in consulting is still like 10-20 years at work for those who work 40 hour work weeks. Bottom line, I think few, if any, other jobs put people on that track and get people to the SVP level of a fortune 500 company in their early 40s.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Can I ask how you negotiated your scholarship package?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
wingedvictory wrote:
Can I ask how you negotiated your scholarship package?

yup would love to know how to negotiate a scholarship package.

thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts