GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2019, 03:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)

• 11% [2]
  • 88% [15]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Jun 2019, 14:19
Hey Everyone,

I was fortunate to be admitted into Kellogg’s Evening & Weekend program and Fuqua’s full-time program. Having a difficult time deciding between the two so interested in hearing your feedback on which program you would recommend attending. Listed below is a bit of background on myself, b-school priorities, pros/cons list, and finances. Both are excellent schools and I’ve tried to be fair in my assessment of each one.

While I don’t doubt the power of the Duke name, I am leaning towards Kellogg simply because deep down I would regret not going to a higher ranked/better brand school such as Kellogg. Realize this comes down to where I believe I can best achieve what it is I’m looking to get out of business school and that no one can make this decision for me but would like to hear your thoughts to make sure I am looking at this from the right angles and not missing anything. Appreciate your vote and any other comments that might come to mind! :)

----

Background Info

----
Current Job: Project Manager at Rolls-Royce Aerospace.

Post-MBA Goals: Pivot to MBB technology strategy consulting for five years and then transition into corporate strategy at tech company developing either autonomous vehicles, drone delivery, or air taxis (think Amazon, Uber, Boeing, Tesla, etc.).

Financial:
Duke: Negotiated a 60% scholarship package. Cost = 2 years @ $94k/yr (living expenses included)
Kellogg: $21k tuition support from employer that I will need to pay back since I plan to leave company upon graduation. Cost = 3 yrs @ $84/yr (living + travel expenses included)

Notes:
-No issues with relocating to Durham and building a new social circle but I do currently have a strong community in Indianapolis
-Kellogg classes are on Saturdays and there's a high likelihood I will have the flexibility to spend some of Friday doing school work by working remotely from Chicago
-Pros/Cons analysis below is listed in order of highest to lower priority

----

Pros/Cons Analysis

----
Ranking & Brand
Kellogg Pros: US News #6 (tie) in 2020. Historically bounces between #4 & #6. Certainly could be wrong but my observations are that there is a perceptions that Kellogg is a in a league above Fuqua.
Kellogg Cons: -

Duke Pros: Great national and global recognition but Kellogg historically outperforms it in rankings.
Duke Cons: Main goal was to get into the best b-school I can. 5 yrs from now I would regret passing up on opportunity to go to a higher ranked school

Pivot Probability (i.e. probability I will successfully pivot from engineering to MBB strategy consulting)
Kellogg Pros: PT students utilize all FT student recruiting resources/network and participate in OCR with FT students. 2016 study conducted by Admissions suggested 54% of PT students successfully pivoted industry and/or function upon graduation.
Kellogg Cons: Only one opportunity to participate in OCR the semester I graduate

Duke Pros: 35% placement into Consulting for 2018
Duke Cons: -

Level of Debt
Kellogg Pros: Estimated $240k LESS in financial losses upon graduation (based upon Fuqua scholarship, tuition, living expenses, foregone salary, and signing bonus. Can post calcs if requested)
Kellogg Cons: $21k of employer tuition assistance to be paid back upon graduating since I plan to break contract early and leave company (i.e. 'claw back' clause)

Duke Pros: -
Duke Cons: Estimated $240k MORE in financial losses upon graduation (based upon Fuqua scholarship, tuition, living expenses, foregone salary, and signing bonus. Can post calcs if requested)

Extracurricular
Kellogg Pros: Plenty of PT clubs that align with my career interests (e.g. Consulting, Strategy, High Tech)
Kellogg Cons: Most students are working and will simply not be as involved as FT students are. PT campus is 1 hr away from activities on FT campus. Cannot be as involved with clubs as a working PT student

Duke Pros: Plenty of time to get involved with tech, consulting, strategy, volunteering clubs

Cultural Fit
Kellogg Pros: Everyone I interacted with was incredibly helpful. Culture of mutual success.
Kellogg Cons: -

Duke Pros: Resonated slightly more with the positive energy, family vibes, and campus overall atmosphere at Fuqua. Felt a stronger sense of community between Fuqua FT students over Kellogg PT students after visiting both schools.

Social Life
Kellogg Pros: Allowed to work remotely from Chicago on Friday's which will allow me to get more school work done and free up some time for social activities
Kellogg Cons: 3 hr Indianapolis to Chicago commute adds layer of intensity especially during the winter. Estimating 85% of my weekends will be dedicated towards school rather than social activities

Duke Pros: Lots of involvement from trips, section classmates socials, apartment pool parties, dinners, etc.
Duke Cons: Full-time experience at Duke sounded incredible but I've already done a ton of traveling and partying as an undergrad/working professional. Spent half of my life living abroad between South America, Asia, and Europe.

Grow Network:
Kellogg Pros: Alumni network responsive and incredibly helpful as I've contacted various individuals for guidance on navigating my decision process. Positive reflection of not only student culture but also active alumni base
Kellogg Cons: Less opportunities to network both inside and outside of the classroom due to time constraints and mentality of PT program.

Duke Pros: More opportunities to network both inside and outside of the classroom
Duke Cons: Missing out on globally renowned Kellogg alumni network.

Note: Created a decision matrix in excel with composite scores based on personally assigned grading criteria weights/scores and both schools came into at a dead tie! Unable to post the image here but happy to share this analysis with anyone that may be interested.

Originally posted by filup on 09 Jun 2019, 12:58.
Last edited by filup on 09 Jun 2019, 14:19, edited 3 times in total.
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 13:27
Tough call. I think you've definitely thought through this thoroughly and have developed a strong pros/cons list.

If it were me, I would be taking Duke Full Time - All day long.

I can tell you're frustrated with this decision since it is such a close call. I would choose to take solace in this situation. The fact of the matter is, you'll probably be successful in achieving your goals, regardless of which program you go with.

Again, if it were me, I'd pack my bags and go to Durham and have the best 2 years of my life.

Regards,
Mike

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2019, 15:00
Congrats on your admits!!!

I hopefully will make your choice easy (maybe). MBB requires a FT MBA. Not because they are picky but pursuing an MBB career requires a whole bunch of coffee chats, meetings, interviews, courting, and dance around the fire to convince them that you are the one. The volume and competitive nature of the MBB recruiting is just not compatible with PT or Weekend MBA. If that's what you set your sights on, Then that's what you have to do...
S
Schools: Duke '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jun 2019, 20:13
Congrats on two great options!

I think you have a misconception of the prestige and reputation. Obviously Kellogg full time is considered > Fuqua, but the widely held consensus is that a full time program from any top 10/15/20 is going to me much more impressive than a part time program regardless of where it's from. The part time programs at Kellogg/Booth etc. have lower admissions statistics by every measure, and don't replicate the true MBA experience. People like to say "once you're a decade out, nobody will know the difference on your resume." That misses the point. An MBA is most valuable in the immediate years following due to the structured recruiting and knowledge, and becomes valuable later in your career due to the intimate network you developed years ago.

You'll be sacrificing the true value of the MBA (experience, recruiting, network, shared experiences, friends) in order to have a marginally better name on your resume.

With all due respect, there is a reason you got into Kellogg (PT) and not into much lower ranked schools like Marshall or Darden. Duke looks like an extremely favorable outcome given your other results, I wouldn't let this opportunity go.

Originally posted by mradamsmith on 10 Jun 2019, 06:45.
Last edited by mradamsmith on 16 Jun 2019, 20:13, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2019, 07:03
Hi filup

congrats for those schools

The nature of your goal as career switcher is not compatible with PT program. So If I were you, I would accept without hesitation this big opportunity with Duke with its scholarship and great access to consulting field, especially MBB.

Good luck
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 13:35
To add to my earlier post, Kellogg would be a much safer choice as it would allow you to keep working. Recruiting will be problematic while being a remote PT student. It will be really really hard to participate in the events or treks.

Perhaps souvik101990 can share more based on his Ross experience and part timers there.

Posted from my mobile device
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 14:13
Duke FT for sure
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 06:08
Even as a Kellogg alum (FT), I can tell you that MBB wont recruit you out of PT program. FT networking invites are sent out separately and PT folks are not included unless you feel you can network like crazy to get a foot in the door. Yes, Kellogg connection is extremely strong at MBB, you’ll have to do a lot more to even get invited for interview at MBB.

Ill go with Duke on this one as MBA is all about networking and making connections. Having your classes on Saturdays will not give you tike to network with other MBA students, let alone with recruiters. Something to think about.

DM if you have Kellogg related questions. Happy to guide you.

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2019, 20:50
It looks like everybody wants to work at an MBB after MBA, there are other good post MBA options too- and people should consider those.
Example:
1. IB is more money and less travel
2. Tech is more money, again less travel and significant growth opportunities
3. Media is significant growth because of OTT and M&A
4. Healthcare, CPG, other strategy consulting firms have significant growth and pay well too

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 12:51
Hey Everyone, I ended up choosing Duke. Thank you for the feedback. Your views played an incredibly valuable role in helping me see this decision from other angles and ultimately make a decision I feel good about! :)
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2019, 12:53
filup wrote:
Hey Everyone, I ended up choosing Duke. Thank you for the feedback. Your views played an incredibly valuable role in helping me see this decision from other angles and ultimately make a decision I feel good about! :)

Congrats and wish you the best.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.55
WE: Accounting (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2019, 23:40
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
Even as a Kellogg alum (FT), I can tell you that MBB wont recruit you out of PT program. FT networking invites are sent out separately and PT folks are not included unless you feel you can network like crazy to get a foot in the door. Yes, Kellogg connection is extremely strong at MBB, you’ll have to do a lot more to even get invited for interview at MBB.

Ill go with Duke on this one as MBA is all about networking and making connections. Having your classes on Saturdays will not give you tike to network with other MBA students, let alone with recruiters. Something to think about.

DM if you have Kellogg related questions. Happy to guide you.

I kept reading that while the top consulting firms don't recruit from PT programs as much, they do recruit from PT MBA programs if its a top 10 school including Kellogg. Is that not true at all?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.55
WE: Accounting (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2019, 23:48
JohnJohnJ wrote:
It looks like everybody wants to work at an MBB after MBA, there are other good post MBA options too- and people should consider those.
Example:
1. IB is more money and less travel
2. Tech is more money, again less travel and significant growth opportunities
3. Media is significant growth because of OTT and M&A
4. Healthcare, CPG, other strategy consulting firms have significant growth and pay well too

Yes that's true but I think the tier 1 Consulting jobs put you on a track like no other. I work for a fortune 50 company and I kept running into the executives who report directly to the CEO and the CFO. These executives are all typically in their early 40s so I did some research. Turns out, almost all of them went to tier 1 MBA schools and spent 5-10 years at a tier 1 consulting firms. From there they entered one of the largest companies in the world at 4o-42 as a SVP reporting directly to the CEO or the CFO, right on track to be the next CEO or CFO in the next 1-5 years. I don't think the other jobs outside of consulting put people on that track so fast. So fast is relative of course. I know the 5-10 years these guys spend in consulting is still like 10-20 years at work for those who work 40 hour work weeks. Bottom line, I think few, if any, other jobs put people on that track and get people to the SVP level of a fortune 500 company in their early 40s.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)?   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2019, 23:48

Kellogg (PT) vs Fuqua (FT w/ $$)?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste