GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 08:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kellogg vs Ross ($) - Decision Paralysis!

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.63
Reviews Badge
Kellogg vs Ross ($) - Decision Paralysis!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 18:18
Hello,

I was just admitted off the waitlist at Kellogg. Fantastic news, but I'm now deep in deliberation. I've already accepted and paid the deposit at Ross (previously decided between Ross and Anderson).

Post MBA, I'm most interested in renewable energy or sustainability. I'm currently living in San Francisco and have long-term aspirations on the West Coast. I'm in a serious relationship with my girlfriend who is living (and will stay) in SoCal. Here are what I see as key differences/questions for each school:

Ross
- Huge opportunity with the Erb Institute offering a dual degree in Environmental Science which aligns with my career interests (not set on this yet though)
- Great culture, I would fit in well here
- I love MAP!
- I've been offered a $10K/year scholarship

Kellogg
- I love the culture of the program and it's been my top choice since I first began researching schools
- The location is better for seeing family and also my girlfriend (cheaper flights, less of a timezone difference)
- Kellogg is higher ranked and better known than Ross, this could be a key factor as I'll be trying to enter an industry I don't yet have experience in
- After crunching the numbers, it nets out at ~$40K more over the two years due to higher tuition cost, lack of scholarship etc.

One of the key things I'm trying to figure out is whether I'll be able to reasonably recruit for alternative energy types of roles at Kellogg. I know I can make it happen, but that's only after talking to 10+ current students and alumni. I just haven't had a chance to do this at Kellogg. The dual degree opportunity at Ross is significant though, I don't think there's anything like it at Kellogg.

What do you all think?

Thank you for your time!
Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Kellogg vs Ross ($) - Decision Paralysis!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2017, 21:35
Stevaineer wrote:
Hello,

I was just admitted off the waitlist at Kellogg. Fantastic news, but I'm now deep in deliberation. I've already accepted and paid the deposit at Ross (previously decided between Ross and Anderson).

Post MBA, I'm most interested in renewable energy or sustainability. I'm currently living in San Francisco and have long-term aspirations on the West Coast. I'm in a serious relationship with my girlfriend who is living (and will stay) in SoCal. Here are what I see as key differences/questions for each school:

Ross
- Huge opportunity with the Erb Institute offering a dual degree in Environmental Science which aligns with my career interests (not set on this yet though)
- Great culture, I would fit in well here
- I love MAP!
- I've been offered a $10K/year scholarship

Kellogg
- I love the culture of the program and it's been my top choice since I first began researching schools
- The location is better for seeing family and also my girlfriend (cheaper flights, less of a timezone difference)
- Kellogg is higher ranked and better known than Ross, this could be a key factor as I'll be trying to enter an industry I don't yet have experience in
- After crunching the numbers, it nets out at ~$40K more over the two years due to higher tuition cost, lack of scholarship etc.

One of the key things I'm trying to figure out is whether I'll be able to reasonably recruit for alternative energy types of roles at Kellogg. I know I can make it happen, but that's only after talking to 10+ current students and alumni. I just haven't had a chance to do this at Kellogg. The dual degree opportunity at Ross is significant though, I don't think there's anything like it at Kellogg.

What do you all think?

Thank you for your time!

Hey man.

Congratulations on getting into 3 fabulous schools.You cannot go wrong with any of them.
Personally if I were in your shoes -> I would have jumped at the Kellogg's offer.
More specifically because the cost/ scholarship offered at Ross isn't that much to challenge the Unparalleled brand of Kellogg.

Kellogg for me.

P.S -> With that Kellogg's new Technology Hub going up in some time, the program is destined to gain strength.

MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 11:23
Wow! The story continues. Congrats! What made you pick Ross over Anderson eventually?

I am not familiar with Ross's Environmental degree option - you will have to weigh it separately and see what it's worth for you. I would definitely figure out how important Sustainability track is to you before you accept. Kellogg is a better generalist degree while Ross is a better specific one (so it seems).

Kellogg is a stronger overall brand and program. Perhaps not as strong as the Michigan Football spirit but meaningfully more competitive. Average GMAT is 728 vs 708 at Ross and acceptance rate is 20% vs 26% at Ross. Both programs will give you an opportunity to network and recruit almost anywhere in the country, though with sustainability and a more of a niche field, you will have to rely on networking, alums, etc rather than recruiting events or career services to find your next job. If you are still figuring out sustainability, it may be worth a quick check/search for companies you would aspire to intern at and eventually work at to check if indeed they bring in any folks from Ross or maybe Kellogg. One challenge with sustainability is that there maybe 1-2 jobs in many companies but not really a single "Sustainability firm" per se.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 13:59
Stevaineer wrote:

Congrats! Late to the party but very curious about your decision! This is very similar to the choice I will be making over the next month.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 14:16
kellogg easy call here
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 01:53
Kellogg has pretty good placement stats for West Coast. I'll recommend Kellogg over Ross, mainly because most people change their mind about what jobs to take during MBA, and Kellogg will give you a wider range of options. Your current scholarship at Ross is fairly small, not enough to swing the decision IMO.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 11:00
It's safe to say that you should ignore the money and think long-term here: an MBA is something that will benefit you for MANY years down the road.
Re: Kellogg vs Ross ($) - Decision Paralysis! &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jan 2018, 11:00

Kellogg vs Ross ($) - Decision Paralysis!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap