GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 13:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 20:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (01:18) correct 77% (01:26) wrong based on 728 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines to sell cans or bottles of soft drinks and individual packages of snacks. When the management of Kooclaka considered whether to fill vending machines in hospitals with 330ml or 500ml cans or bottles, it decided to sell only 500ml bottles, because patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer a larger, reusable bottle.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A. All Kooclaka’s products are manufactured by the same manufacturer.
B. The revenues from selling 500ml bottles are 5% less than for 500ml cans.
C. Kooclaka’s competitors sell only 500ml bottles in hospitals.
D. More 330ml bottles than 500ml bottles can be put in a vending machine.
E. The average number of visitors is 2.3 per hospital patient.

Please explain your answer.
Source: examPAL practice question

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 670 Q51 V30
GPA: 3
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 02:03
I think. We have to validate this answer. According to me right answer has to be Option (E)
Option B suggests that the company's revenue will decrease. But Option (E) suggests that it's revenue is not only based upon patients.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 22:27
For weakening, we need to suggest an alternative through which it concludes that their strategy is wrong. As option B suggests that by selling 500 ml bottles revenue will be decreased by 5%

Also I have doubt on option D. But is does'nt say much to draw a conclusion so as to weaken the argument.

Sent from my 2014818 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 22:33
Takdir wrote:
Why the answer is B

Option B suggest that the company's revenue will decrease. However I am guessing that it's the right answer.

Option D can also be right as it is actually comparing 300 ml bottles with 500 bottles.

Sent from my 2014818 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 04:12
The question does not mention that they are concerned about profits.
B can possibly a weakner, if they were more concerned about profits than about frequency of patients Leaving there bed.

E can be weakner since visitors can get them the bottles to the bed.

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 23:21

per passage: "it decided to sell only 500ml bottles, because patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer a larger, reusable bottle"

If patients prefer bottles, then the revenues from bottles should be higher.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 06:42
When they replace all Hospital VMs with 500ml bottles won't the revenue from bottles increase after the effect. ?
I don't think B is a weakener. E is also not a weakener. Even if visitors are visiting no guarantee that they will buy from people.
D is a little better option IMO.
daagh , GMATNinja Can you tackle this question please.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 07:49
Nightmare007 wrote:
When they replace all Hospital VMs with 500ml bottles won't the revenue from bottles increase after the effect. ?
I don't think B is a weakener. E is also not a weakener. Even if visitors are visiting no guarantee that they will buy from people.

I'm curious as to what's your reasoning is for selecting D.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 23:49
mikecal wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:

I'm curious as to what's your reasoning is for selecting D.

Yeah when i checked it again. Now i understood D can never be the answer. Since we need larger and reusable bottles.
and yes B is a weakener - since 500 ml cans are as large as and also reusable when compared with bottles. So there might be some other reasoning for using bottles. And use of bottles is not properly justified. :) .
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 05:39
key words are "cans" and "bottles".
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 23:30
It is a besed on supply and demand so b should be correct if we eye at primises Aur conclusion which standing supportive claim whether to fill 300 or 500cans or bottles but here demnads of big containing which cans are not so patients will demand a great amount of bottles containing 500 ml so revenue will increase it is strong concluclsion if we assume they are demanding more 300 bottles which is no a long durability so 300ml bottles revenue increases and 5ooml decrease so B is vailid answer

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 23:47
E seems to be the best fit as I points out to a customer base that is larger than the patients group size... then in that case there would be canned item demand demand from the visitors; more number of smaller size bottles can be filled and its practical...

Sent from my GT-I9060I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 23:48
In this question... Company doesn't want to bother the patient again and again for water. That's why it is selling only 500 ml bottle but in vending machine less 500 ml bottles can be kept than 300 ml bottles. So all patients couldn't get the bottle. So those who don't get bottle have to bother. So ultimate purpose of company of not to bother patient is not solved and thus weaken the plan.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 12:05
I'd go with C. This answer gives a different reason why the 500ml were sold

Sent from my D6503 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 18:47
mitravanu wrote:
Kooclka is a full-time vending business, which uses vending machines to sell cans of bottles of soft drinks and individual packages of snacks. When the management of Kooclka considered weather to fill vending machines in hospitals with 330 ml or 500 ml cans or bottles, it decided to sell only 500 ml bottles.The management thought patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer larger, reusable bottle.

Which of the following if true weakens the argument above?

A. All of Kooclka's products are manufactured by the same manufacturer.

C. Most of Kooclka's competitors sell only 500ml bottles in hospitals.

D. More 330ml bottles then 500 ml bottles can be put together in a vending machine.

I think B cannot be correct answer for following reasons:
1. Revenues # profit. Larger revenue is not equal to larger profit.
2 C or E sounds more attractive. For C, since none of my competitors in hospital provide other choice --> it could be my advantage. For E, the management though"patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer larger,reusable bottle". However, the number of visitors is more than double the number of patients. In my opinion C+E would be a perfect answer.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 19:50
E

We have to weaken the reasoning that management used 500ml bottle thinking only about patients.
So we can say as the number of visitor is more management thought to make more money by selling big cans

Sent from my vivo 1609 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 20:03
Even I picked E. Why E is not the answer?
The logic I used was that the management thought patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer larger, reusable bottle.But if the number of visitors is more than double, they can bring 330 ml bottles or cans for patients. There is little or no need for the patient to leave bed for these soft drinks.
The argument does not talk about revenue or profit.
What is wrong with my logic?
Someone please explain.

Cheers,
Varsha Madhav
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos please if my post helped you...!!

BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 01:49
Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines to sell cans or bottles of soft drinks and individual packages of snacks. When the management of Kooclaka considered whether to fill vending machines in hospitals with 330ml or 500ml cans or bottles, it decided to sell only 500ml bottles, because patients do not leave their beds very often, thus they prefer a larger, reusable bottle.

A. All Kooclaka’s products are manufactured by the same manufacturer. --Doesn't matter
B. The revenues from selling 500ml bottles are 5% less than for 500ml cans. --Correct. If cans make more profit for the firm then cans should be prefered over bottles
C. Kooclaka’s competitors sell only 500ml bottles in hospitals. --Doesn't matter.
D. More 330ml bottles than 500ml bottles can be put in a vending machine. --Few people will but 330ml
E. The average number of visitors is 2.3 per hospital patient. --This strengthens the argument

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 00:38

Which of the following if true weakens the argument above?

A. All of Kooclka's products are manufactured by the same manufacturer.

C. Most of Kooclka's competitors sell only 500ml bottles in hospitals.

D. More 330ml bottles then 500 ml bottles can be put together in a vending machine.

When analysing the argument
Main Conclusion: thus they prefer a larger, reusable bottle.
Primary premise: because patients do not leave their beds very often.

How can we weaken the conclusion?
i) by destroying the premise
ii) by adding a premise to weaken the conclusion

Answer option B does the latter. By adding additional premise the author says that the company uses bottles instead of cans, because of revenue purposes(less revenue doesnt mean less profit) and not because patients do not leave their beds often(as mentioned in the argument).
While option E says that for 10 patient there are 23 visitors. But it doesnt mention anything about whether the visitors buy bottles for patients.

Correct me if i am wrong

Expert reply will be very much appreciated GMATNinja souvik101990 hazelnut GMATNinjaTwo

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 05:27

I am confused with the conclusion of the sentence... lets break the sentence into 2 parts , Part A: Mgmt decided to sell only 500 bottles Part B: Patients do not leave their beds and prefer large reusable bottle

Part A, hence part B or Part B hence part A, thus Part A sounds to be the conclusion.

Conclusion: Mgmt decided to sell only 500 bottles

Arg: Patients prefer large reusable bottles and do not leave bed ----->mgmt decided to launch 500 bottles, kind of a cause and effect relation.
Weakener: Effect happened but some other reason caused this decision, which can be told from Option C. It is because competitors were using 500 bottle, mgmt decided to sell 500 bottles

Please correct me if i am wrong
Re: Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines &nbs [#permalink] 17 Mar 2018, 05:27

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 37 posts ] 

Kooclaka is a full-line vending business, which uses vending machines

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap