It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

KRoll background check

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
B

Kudos [?]: 572 [1], given: 345

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Premium Member Reviews Badge
KRoll background check [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 23:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
activesurf95 wrote:
aerien wrote:
activesurf95 wrote:
Hey Guys - happy new year! Sorry, but I'm reviving this old thread. I caught a mistake in my community volunteer section after reviewing my application proof in greater detail. I applied to a top 10 business school program. Dates and hours are wrong (I put five months of involvement whereas I was only involved for two months). This is something that is back in 2009, and involves picking up trash / cleaning.

Is this something that background check firms will need to verify? The exact dates of my involvement? Been worrying about it and just wanted to ask someone who knew better. Apart from this, I have several other more material community service activities that I'm in presently.

Thanks!

Don't worry about this much. If Kroll or any other background check company has questions, they will reach out to you directly.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Aerien. Appreciate the response. Do you know if they typically review stuff like this that happened that long ago? Sorry if I'm jumping the gun here.

From what I've heard they of course confirm all the major stuff -- education, jobs, etc. As far as confirming every line item of community service someone's done, I guess (but really have no confirmation) that checks are either done for places that are easily confirmed (eg major organizations) and/or are only checked in detail if something signals as a red flag. If you happened to mark something off by an hour or two or a month or two, it might not be a big deal -- and they of course can and will reach out to you if there are any clarifications needed; if you say you want to college and you didn't, well you have much bigger issues then.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 572 [1], given: 345

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Operations
Re: KRoll background check [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 09:44
Thanks! That makes sense. Just guilt tripping over it. I'm off by a few months but will clarify if necessary. Thanks for the insight.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 15:10
I hope I'm just being a little paranoid, but I have a question about employment verification.

Before my current employer, I show one other company that I worked for between graduating from undergrad and moving to my current employer. The company that I was originally hired under (from undergrad) was acquired by another company (which is the only name I state on my resume and show as working there the entire time). From before/after the acquisition, nothing changed in terms of title, responsibilities, manager, team, compensation, etc. Because of this, after doing research online on how to note this on my resume, everything I read said to just list the name of the last company name (since the roles were the same) so that it doesn't cause confusion that I had two different jobs.

I'm concerned that when my employment is verified for that company, my start date will show as the date of acquisition and not my original start date. Should I be concerned? I would hope that HR's records will show my original start date, since the old company that was acquired doesn't exist anymore...

Thanks!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 29054 [0], given: 5255

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 17:34
What makes you confident that your start date will be the date of acquisition? Did your vacation/benefits reset?

It depends. I think you should be in the clear since putting 2 companies on the resume would imply a change of employment, which did not technically happen. I think this will be easily explainable should this even be brought to light unless this was an extreme situation.

You can always approach HR and ask about their reporting practice (or even better, get one of your co-workers to do that so you don't have to be dishonest if you don't want to disclose your HBS transition)

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 17:53
bb wrote:
What makes you confident that your start date will be the date of acquisition? Did your vacation/benefits reset?

It depends. I think you should be in the clear since putting 2 companies on the resume would imply a change of employment, which did not technically happen. I think this will be easily explainable should this even be brought to light unless this was an extreme situation.

You can always approach HR and ask about their reporting practice (or even better, get one of your co-workers to do that so you don't have to be dishonest if you don't want to disclose your HBS transition)

Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply! I don't recall any benefits changing, so I would think they'd still report my original hire date (I did just email my old company, in a very general email, asking how this is reported). And as you mentioned, my intent to only put one company was solely to avoid any confusion that I had two different jobs, so if it comes down to it I hope that explanation is acceptable. Plus, neither company is a big name (the adcoms weren't familiar with the one on my resume, so i don't think this would change their opinion of my work experience).

Thanks again. Hopefully I'm just worrying for nothing!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 17:55
mj800 wrote:
bb wrote:

Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply! I don't recall any benefits changing, so I would think they'd still report my original hire date (I did just email my old company, in a very general email, asking how this is reported). And as you mentioned, my intent to only put one company was solely to avoid any confusion that I had two different jobs, so if it comes down to it I hope that explanation is acceptable. Plus, neither company is a big name (the adcoms weren't familiar with the one on my resume, so i don't think this would change their opinion of my work experience).

I think you should be definitely in the clear - I have checked around on Linkedin and everyone I could think of who worked for a company that was acquired had a new company as the company they worked for pre-acquisition. So it is a some kind of an indicator of generally acceptable employment principles of sorts.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 18:02
bb wrote:
mj800 wrote:
bb wrote:

Good Luck!

I think you should be definitely in the clear - I have checked around on Linkedin and everyone I could think of who worked for a company that was acquired had a new company as the company they worked for pre-acquisition. So it is a some kind of an indicator of generally acceptable employment principles of sorts.

Thanks for looking that up! I'm just going to forget about it and just address it if it happens to come up.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
My employer told me that Kroll called both him and HR. They checked 2 bullets on my resume with the manager. I am not sure if my case if common, but they actually scared me because my manager does not have knowledge about every project(bullet) on my resume. I am wondering if anybody else has the similar experience.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 07:14
crazyg wrote:
My employer told me that Kroll called both him and HR. They checked 2 bullets on my resume with the manager. I am not sure if my case if common, but they actually scared me because my manager does not have knowledge about every project(bullet) on my resume. I am wondering if anybody else has the similar experience.

Hi guys!!

Wanted to ask you how the process works exactly with the background check companies: when you pay them the fees: do you have some sort of login and data sheet to confirm info of contact for past employment? I think I gave the wrong number since it changed; further do you know how far back in history they check? I mean do they check the last job only, the current only, the past 2, etc etc...?
thks :)

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 13:27
In my case (I just completed mine for HBS), they contacted me with the specific information they were looking for (I didn't fill out anything up front, they just started with the information the school provided them). I only had two different employers since undergrad and they checked employment information for both... I'm guessing they check all of your employers since undergrad, but i'm not sure about this (this is probably also school-dependent).

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 13:37
Hi Mj800! Thks for the reply;) so they first tried with the info provided by you to hbs (btw impressive to get into hbs!!!congrats) and then they contacted you when they encountered some issues contacting your former employers? Thks for sharing your exp:)

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 14:16
Ella2017 wrote:
Hi Mj800! Thks for the reply;) so they first tried with the info provided by you to hbs (btw impressive to get into hbs!!!congrats) and then they contacted you when they encountered some issues contacting your former employers? Thks for sharing your exp:)

Exactly.. After about a week after I started the background check they sent me an email asking for my SSN (because it was required by one of my employers to release my information). Then about a week after that they emailed me again asking for contact information for the HR person at my other employer (I guess they couldn't find it). In each case I just gave them the information they needed and they just carried on with the process. Btw, at least in my case, they didn't let me know when they had completed my check (I found out it was done when I saw that item marked "completed" in my HBS admit account).

I would just wait until they email you. I think it's fairly common for them to need additional information from you at some point during the process.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 14:17
mj800 wrote:
Ella2017 wrote:

Exactly.. After about a week after I started the background check they sent me an email asking for my SSN (because it was required by one of my employers to release my information). Then about a week after that they emailed me again asking for contact information for the HR person at my other employer (I guess they couldn't find it). In each case I just gave them the information they needed and they just carried on with the process. Btw, at least in my case, they didn't let me know when they had completed my check (I found out it was done when I saw that item marked "completed" in my HBS admit account).

I would just wait until they email you. I think it's fairly common for them to need additional information from you at some point during the process.

Thanks for the reassuring words:))

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 0

GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 00:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

Would love some input from people in the know: I have 3 situations that I'm a little concerned about when it comes to background verification:

1) My supervisor left the company a few weeks after my app was due and my new supervisor is extremely hands off and we've only spent a month together. Only my previous boss and the one before him can really testify to my experience. How would Kroll handle this? I've already given HR a headsup about background verification so they have my docs updated.
2) I am hoping to quit my job in 2 months or so to spend the summer backpacking. Does anyone know when background checks are conducted? With scenario #1, I'd rather be in the vicinity in case they need to get in touch with an employer or need any verification, so I'm unsure of when to actually leave.
3) I got a huge raise after my first 2 years and my supervisor at the time told me at my perf review that I was being promoted but nothing was formalized except in pay because I was told "Titles don't matter here." since then, my supervisor has changed and we've been acquired, so I'm worried since I said I was promoted in my app, it might come across as disingenuous although it was 100% true. Should I have my prev supervisor write in a letter to HR confirming what was discussed? My responsibilites definitely changed and several managers can attest to that.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 0

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 10:31
deetdeet wrote:
Hi guys,

Would love some input from people in the know: I have 3 situations that I'm a little concerned about when it comes to background verification:

1) My supervisor left the company a few weeks after my app was due and my new supervisor is extremely hands off and we've only spent a month together. Only my previous boss and the one before him can really testify to my experience. How would Kroll handle this? I've already given HR a headsup about background verification so they have my docs updated.
2) I am hoping to quit my job in 2 months or so to spend the summer backpacking. Does anyone know when background checks are conducted? With scenario #1, I'd rather be in the vicinity in case they need to get in touch with an employer or need any verification, so I'm unsure of when to actually leave.
3) I got a huge raise after my first 2 years and my supervisor at the time told me at my perf review that I was being promoted but nothing was formalized except in pay because I was told "Titles don't matter here." since then, my supervisor has changed and we've been acquired, so I'm worried since I said I was promoted in my app, it might come across as disingenuous although it was 100% true. Should I have my prev supervisor write in a letter to HR confirming what was discussed? My responsibilites definitely changed and several managers can attest to that.

Thanks for the post. Don't worry too much about these but see below...

1. It sounds like you are thinking of both letter of recommendation and background check, or at least you should be.
I assume you got a letter already from the previous boss? If so, then don't worry about Kroll. All they check is whether the facts you submitted are correct. They don't call and ask how good of a job you did at work. If you worked there, then it won't be an issue. HR should be able to verify this.

2. It is fine to quit work and do some traveling, so don't worry about this either. You can update the school with your plans once you get in.

3. This is a bit more murky. Did you list a specific title on the resume that you did not really have? Or is the title accurate? If the title is accurate, then you should be ok here as well since the comp did reflect a promotion of sorts. As far as Kroll is concerned, you want the titles, start dates, stop dates and salaries to match.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 10:44
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
deetdeet wrote:
Hi guys,

1. It sounds like you are thinking of both letter of recommendation and background check, or at least you should be.
I assume you got a letter already from the previous boss? If so, then don't worry about Kroll. All they check is whether the facts you submitted are correct. They don't call and ask how good of a job you did at work. If you worked there, then it won't be an issue. HR should be able to verify this.

2. It is fine to quit work and do some traveling, so don't worry about this either. You can update the school with your plans once you get in.

3. This is a bit more murky. Did you list a specific title on the resume that you did not really have? Or is the title accurate? If the title is accurate, then you should be ok here as well since the comp did reflect a promotion of sorts. As far as Kroll is concerned, you want the titles, start dates, stop dates and salaries to match.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much re 1& 2!-- HR has all my titles start and stop dates and salaries so I should be ok!

3. No, I only listed the title that my employment form reflected but I did mention that I was promoted after a year to take on more responsibility and I listed out how that changed. My title however remained the same and I made sure that's all kosher. I should be ok then right? I was just concerned if they went through each bullet point and were being particularly nitpicky.

Thanks !

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 10:48
deetdeet wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
deetdeet wrote:
Hi guys,

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much re 1& 2!-- HR has all my titles start and stop dates and salaries so I should be ok!

3. No, I only listed the title that my employment form reflected but I did mention that I was promoted after a year to take on more responsibility and I listed out how that changed. My title however remained the same and I made sure that's all kosher. I should be ok then right? I was just concerned if they went through each bullet point and were being particularly nitpicky.

Thanks !

You are most welcome. I would not worry about that, especially if the letter of recommendation supported the promotion, even if it was not a title promotion. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 03:06
crazyg wrote:

Was your manager also one of your recommenders? Or did they contact someone who wasn't your recommender?

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 22:31
How do they check info if you spent time between jobs for travelling or for taking care of a sick family member?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 00:35
bb wrote:
mj800 wrote:
bb wrote:

Two quesitons
1) if you fail a background for whatever reason at one school, since all the top 10 use Kroll, does it mean they share information through Kroll with each other (i'm not just talking about adverse information any of your background check information, financial information)?

1a) How do they verify where you worked other than an application form, is there a database they can also pull up? What if I tell HR to not give out anything past what's required (salary dates required, in fact in NYC salary info is illegal when given my employer)

1b) If I did a Masters between my undergrad and grad, other than transcripts and date of attendance can they call the dean of my school/program and question them about me personally? From what I understand Kroll not the admissions office (ever) makes calls. Again I just rather them reach out to the contacts I give them

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: KRoll background check   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2017, 00:35

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16    Next  [ 304 posts ] 

KRoll background check

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap