Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 977
Schools: Yale '22
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27 (Online)
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Laboratory rats and mice live up to 40% longer than usual when fed a [#permalink]
Hello expert,
Is it a wrong comparison in D?
A diet that has 30% fewer Calories than (they normally eat) —> this compares “diet” to “eat”, I think it is a wrong comparison.
Should it be: A diet has 30% fewer Calories than DIET (they normally eat) DOES.
Or: A diet has 30% fewer Calories than (what they normally eat) DOES.
Hope experts helps! Thanks.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Laboratory rats and mice live up to 40% longer than usual when fed a [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,
A diet that has 30% fewer Calories than (they normally eat) —> this compares “diet” to “eat”, I think it is a wrong comparison.

The comparison expressed by the (D) version is understood to mean the following:

at least 30% fewer calories than (the calories) they normally eat

While the wording of comparisons can be a little strange, as the wording of this one is, the comparison basically makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Re: Laboratory rats and mice live up to 40% longer than usual when fed a [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,

The comparison expressed by the (D) version is understood to mean the following:

While the wording of comparisons can be a little strange, as the wording of this one is, the comparison basically makes sense.

MartyTargetTestPrep thanks for your response expert. I understand the meaning, and I know Choice D omits something. But I am confused whether it can be omitted in GMAT? Cuz I never met a comparison question like this one (I mean generally they don’t omit in GMAT).
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,

MartyTargetTestPrep thanks for your response expert. I understand the meaning, and I know Choice D omits something. But I am confused whether it can be omitted in GMAT? Cuz I never met a comparison question like this one (I mean generally they don’t omit in GMAT).

Hello Mavisdu1017,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, such a comparison structure is not ideal, but it is perfectly acceptable.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,

Show SpoilerMy timer result: 25 January 2022
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 14.22.07.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 14.22.07.png [ 70.92 KiB | Viewed 1400 times ]

Hello, Mavisdu1017. I see that you have already received a few responses above, but since you followed up with me by PM, I will add my thoughts on the matter. First of all, I wrote a lengthy post on as _____ as comparisons a few months back, and I think it may prove useful to you. In that article, I encourage people to test a given comparison to see whether it yields a reasonable interpretation, even if some words seem to be missing. We should employ the same strategy here, rather than looking to apply some supposed rule or another without much thought. Also, if you can find any reason, comparison or no, to doubt an answer choice, you should mark that doubt. It is okay to be unsure of certain matters, but you want to keep moving.

Quote:
Laboratory rats and mice live up to 40% longer than usual when fed a diet of at least 30% fewer calories than that which they would normally eat, but that otherwise contains all necessary vitamins and nutrients.

(A) of at least 30% fewer calories than that which they would normally eat, but that otherwise

It could just be me, but I have major reservations about when fed a diet of... calories. I am not sure whether of can work on its own in this context, since calories do not appropriately describe what the animals were fed. My doubt would be removed entirely with another word to qualify the diet, as in consisting of. In terms of the comparison, that must refer to diet, and which must be used as the relative pronoun because in English, we do not stack that pronouns, as in ... than that that they would normally eat. It is a grammatical peculiarity. So, is the comparison inherently unsound? I do not think so. There are times in which a modifier may be applied to a noun ahead of the object of a preposition—see the following questions from the Official Guide: LINK 1, LINK 2, and LINK 3—and I see no reason why a comparison could not adhere to a similar tendency. The that preceding otherwise is difficult to follow. Since the sentence uses of earlier instead of that, it appears as though that at the end of the underlined portion is commenting on the normal diet, rather than on the calorie-restricted diet.

1) {a diet that} they would normally eat

2) but {a diet} that otherwise contains all necessary vitamins and nutrients

Compare:

1) a diet of at least 30% fewer calories

2) but {a diet} that otherwise contains all necessary vitamins and nutrients

If nothing else, we have to question the lack of parallelism if the second interpretation is intended. In short, I would see off the original sentence for a diet of calories and everything that that of entails.

Quote:
(B) with at least 30% fewer calories than what they would normally eat though otherwise it

A diet with fewer calories? This might be a more functional preposition than of on its own—e.g., a library with 30 percent fewer books as opposed to a library of 30 percent fewer books—but I still feel as though it could be improved. Luckily for us, we see a glaring target in it at the end of the underlined portion. The latter half of the comparison reads, {the diet} they would normally eat though otherwise {the diet} contains... We can take the time to sort out what we think the sentence is driving at, or we can search for a more reasonable alternative.

Quote:
(C) that has at least 30% fewer of the calories than they would normally eat, but otherwise it

Two things stand out to me here. First, of the is entirely unnecessary within the comparative fewer calories, so this answer choice is already on shaky ground. Then, the same it pops up that I objected to before. I will save my discussion of the comparison for the next answer choice, but here, there is a noticeable lack of clarity at the end:

{Animals live longer} when fed a diet that has at least 30% fewer {calories} than {the diet/the calories that the animals} would normally eat, but otherwise {the diet} contains all necessary vitamins and nutrients.

We should understand that it refers to the first diet mentioned, the calorie-restricted diet, but that is not apparent on first read.

Quote:
(D) that has at least 30% fewer calories than they would normally eat but that otherwise

I would argue that the comparison and subsequent resolution of the sentence is clearer without being explicit, or, in other words, by omitting just what would follow than. Check for a reasonable interpretation:

1) a diet that has at least 30% fewer calories than {the calories that} they would normally eat

2) a diet that has at least 30% fewer calories than {the diet that} they would normally eat

I prefer the second interpretation, since, strictly speaking, animals do not eat calories (but can be said to consume some quantity of them), and it is true that in this sort of context, the exam would typically repeat a verb or use a substitute in an appropriate form of to do, but what we have to ask ourselves is whether either interpretation is unsound. Is it incorrect to omit a verb in a basic comparison between a diet that has more or less of something than another diet? I would say no. The context of this sentence allows us to appreciate that one aspect of a diet is being compared to that same aspect of another diet without being explicitly mentioned, and perhaps the author felt it would be less clear to use both would... eat and has or does. That is admittedly a judgment call, one that I imagine a native English speaker would not think twice about, but I suppose the takeaway is not to apply your understanding of comparisons too narrowly. At least the two parts of the sentence that comment on the calorie-restricted diet are better connected by way of the grammar:

a diet that has X but that otherwise contains Y

Again, I think the above sentence is easier to follow than one that said,

a diet that has fewer calories than the X that {the animals} would normally eat but that otherwise contains Y

Perhaps the point I have been aiming to make on clarity makes more sense now. In short, I see no compelling reason to eliminate (D), even if it takes some liberties.

Quote:
(E) that has at least 30% fewer calories than that which they normally eat, though that otherwise

If we work out the logic of this sentence, it follows a similar pattern as the one above:

a diet that has fewer calories than the X that {the animals} would normally eat, though that otherwise contains Y

The parallelism that links the beginning with the end is much harder to spot, and it is difficult to find any justification for the presence of the comma + {al}though. You would not think a similar-meaning word to but would make that much of a difference, but it is much easier to follow the iteration of the sentence that answer choice (D) creates than this one.

There you have it. I am not sure whether you feel any better about comparisons, but perhaps this question has taught you that you cannot let your guard down. Just when you think you have everything figured out, another sentence will come along and challenge your preconceived notions of what a correct sentence should look like.

- Andrew
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Laboratory rats and mice live up to 40% longer than usual when fed a [#permalink]
Brilliant analysis AndrewN. Loved the post above.

I have a small harmless query though. Is the usage of "would" apt here?
than they would normally eat? Isn't simple present tense apt here to convey a "fact". "Would" is generally used in GMAT to state a "hypothetical" or "to state the future in past". Here, the author wants to convey a fact about the mice's normal intake. Thus, isn't than they normally eat better or correct? (E) does that, but it falls due to other issues.

So, I am kind of unable to see how "would" fits here.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500