GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 19:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Low GPA but good work+ international experience

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Low GPA but good work+ international experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 07:47
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about applying for INSEAD (Singapore Campus).
I talked already to INSEAD in person but I would be interested in your frank opinion.

Profile:
Nationality: German
Degree: B.Sc in Business Administration (GPA just 2.0), of a German university
International Exp.: Lived for 2 years in South Korea as exchange student - Korean language ability ~A2-B1
Work Exp.: +5yrs, mainly at one of the world largest Private Equity Companies as Financial Analyst (got promoted after 2 yrs)
Expected GMAT: 600-650

I know that my GPA is not good. But I think my international and also my work experience is quite good. What is your opinion?
Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
Re: Low GPA but good work+ international experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 08:05
Hey,

fellow German here.

if you studied at a German university, how do you have a GPA? It's a very American/English system, where usually 4.0 is highest and 1 or 0 is lowest. Are you sure your GPA is 2?

If you're using the German scale and your average grade is 2 (on a scale from 1-6, where one is best and 6 is worst), then a 2 isn't too bad. I'd say they would look more at your international experience and work experience, both of which seem promising.

My bigger concern would be the GMAT: A score of 600-650 is not going to get you in. I'm speaking from experience. Aim for 70th percentile in both verbal and quant, which translates to a 670+. The average student at INSEAD has a score of 700. Sure, there are outliers, but if you look at the materials they say that 80% of applicants have a GMAT between 650 and 750 or something like that.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 08:31
Frank opinion from an admit here:

You're on the older side, nearly the crossover to EMBA. Make sure to explain why MBA and not EMBA.

Agree. Are you sure it's a low GPA? Europeans tend to be marked lower than US counterparts. I.e 70%+ in the UK is 1st class honors ~ 4.0 GPA. if it is low, explain in optional essay.

Workex and international exposure is spot on. But as someone working in PE, I would have expected your GMAT to be higher.

You could get away with high 600s, but not 650 or below. I suggest retaking it aiming for a 680 and above.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 11:10
Thank you.
On our German system 1,0 - 6,0 its a 3,0...so its just average. I thought that is a 2 in the US-GPA system.

About my age (31):
Actually, I planned to do a MBA already 2,5 years ago. But then I had the chance to work on a merger and IPO which was a big chance.
Because I did a good job on that I got promoted to a higher position, so I didn't want to leave our company right after my promotion.
So I could explain about that in my essay.

The GMAT is just what I currently expect. I didn't take the GMAT yet and have two month left to prepare. Of course it is my goal to get a 650+ :)
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2015, 21:59
Delgrado,

I was a recent admit of the 2016 class.

I'll post some of my stats just as a reference for you.

- I have no intl working experience but I did for extracurriculars (I think the most important thing about this is how to sell your story/experience to the adcom to convince that your experiences were worth it. That said, you can take a look at INSEAD's 2 job essays regarding your job description and career progress; you need to make your experience stand out from others of the same applicant pool)
- My GPA is below average (similar to yours, I also don't use a 4.0 grading system)
- GMAT: 730 (I had a perfect quant score, so I think this can complement my below average GPA in some way)
- TOEFL: 112
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '20 (S)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2018, 09:43
Hi,
I got a low GMAT score twice (550/560), but have a good work+ international experience.
Nationality: Indian
Target EMBA programs: IIM's & ISB
Total Work Exp: 9.2 years
International Work Exp: 4.5 years
Industry: Oil & Gas
Function: ERP Professional

I there any hope for me? Please share your feedback.Thanks in advance!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Low GPA but good work+ international experience &nbs [#permalink] 04 Aug 2018, 09:43

Low GPA but good work+ international experience

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap