GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 11:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2016
Posts: 202
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 09:04
2
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:21) correct 57% (01:48) wrong based on 238 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, but unlike humans, who rely on signals beamed from satellites, these reptiles appear to sense the earth's magnetic field.

a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats

_________________

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Director
Director
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing for GMAT
Joined: 25 Nov 2015
Posts: 659
Location: India
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 10:51
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, but unlike humans, who rely on signals beamed from satellites, these reptiles appear to sense the earth's magnetic field.

a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats
-

Tough question.
a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, - incorrect. should be use

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts, - to perform is preferable

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,- correct

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,- redundant. could be replaced by a comma.

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats - incorrect. modifier error
_________________

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 12
Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 22:07
souvonik2k wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, but unlike humans, who rely on signals beamed from satellites, these reptiles appear to sense the earth's magnetic field.

a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats
-

Tough question.
a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, - incorrect. should be use

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts, - to perform is preferable

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,- correct

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,- redundant. could be replaced by a comma.

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats - incorrect. modifier error



Why is E incorrect?Can you please explain E a bit more elaborately.
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing for GMAT
Joined: 25 Nov 2015
Posts: 659
Location: India
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 22:23
Abantika wrote:
souvonik2k wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, but unlike humans, who rely on signals beamed from satellites, these reptiles appear to sense the earth's magnetic field.

a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats
-

Tough question.
a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, - incorrect. should be use

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts, - to perform is preferable

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,- correct

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,- redundant. could be replaced by a comma.

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, [color=#ed1c24]crusty old mariners that ply the oceans[/color], use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats - incorrect. modifier error



Why is E incorrect?Can you please explain E a bit more elaborately.


uses in performing. It should be to perform.
_________________

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 148
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 22:32
I understand the split between "to perform" and "in performing" and then eliminating D because of incorrect modification, but I do not like the placement of "like their human counterparts" placed so far from the noun being compared. I have not seen such usage/placement of "like" in any official questions till date.
_________________

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 11 Jul 2016
Posts: 54
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q36 V30
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 22:47
In C,like part is actually not placed v far from the compared noun.its close. Those crusty blah blah is placed inside comma after Marine Iguanas---this is called fluff and can be ignored. Once ignored we get actual noun who are getting compared close to each other. This is how one should approach every SC.Removr fluffs and get in the core of the sentence.

Sent from my CP8676_I02 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 148
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 23:03
Sangeeta2018 wrote:
In C,like part is actually not placed v far from the compared noun.its close. Those crusty blah blah is placed inside comma after Marine Iguanas---this is called fluff and can be ignored. Once ignored we get actual noun who are getting compared close to each other.


So, here is C, after removal of the modifier -

Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning...
Marine Iguanas may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning ...

The point I am trying to make - the placement of "like XXX" is placed not only far from the noun being compared but inserted within the verb phrase "may use". I am yet to see such placement of "like" in any official question. But, yes....

We are looking for the best one out of the five, and not the perfect one.

Cheers !!
_________________

If you find my posts/replies helpful, please take a moment to click on the "kudos" icon.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 535
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 22:27
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, but unlike humans, who rely on signals beamed from satellites, these reptiles appear to sense the earth's magnetic field.

a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats


Doesn't 'C' change meaning by inserting 'may', which denotes possibility? In original sentence, I don't see any indication of 'possibility'.
_________________

Hasan Mahmud

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Oct 2015
Posts: 102
Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 00:16
chetan2u

Can you please tell us the difference between "in performing" and "to perform"
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 145
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 11:12
Mahmud6 wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, but unlike humans, who rely on signals beamed from satellites, these reptiles appear to sense the earth's magnetic field.

a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats


Doesn't 'C' change meaning by inserting 'may', which denotes possibility? In original sentence, I don't see any indication of 'possibility'.



same doubt. please explain GMATNinja mikemcgarry chetan2u @DimitryFarber - if we go for C we lean more towards grammar than meaning which as far as i know should be the second priority after meaning. Is C right because the non underlined part says at the end " appear to be " ? so to make this parallel to the initial part "may" is right here?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5890
Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 21:22
AdityaHongunti wrote:
Mahmud6 wrote:
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts, but unlike humans, who rely on signals beamed from satellites, these reptiles appear to sense the earth's magnetic field.

a) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a kind of global positioning system perform their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

b) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats like their human counterparts,

c) Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

d) Marine Iguanas that are crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, may, like their human counterparts, use a kind of global positioning system to perform their navigational feats,

e) Like their human counterparts, Marine Iguanas, crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, use a kind of global positioning system in performing their navigational feats


Doesn't 'C' change meaning by inserting 'may', which denotes possibility? In original sentence, I don't see any indication of 'possibility'.



same doubt. please explain GMATNinja mikemcgarry chetan2u @DimitryFarber - if we go for C we lean more towards grammar than meaning which as far as i know should be the second priority after meaning. Is C right because the non underlined part says at the end " appear to be " ? so to make this parallel to the initial part "may" is right here?


Hi...
Yes first part of the original statement does not talk of possiblity but it misses out completely on a verb and is flawed, so a choice grammatically correct can be the answer.
But then if you look at the second part, we use APPEAR, which shows possibility.
So C is correct that way.
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html


GMAT online Tutor

Re: Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2018, 21:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Marine Iguanas, those crusty old mariners that ply the oceans, using a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.