Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Cassx   Davisx   Katzx   Radyx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: MBA_Marketing_HELP! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The chances of getting recruited off campus, you can assume them to be the same but you can do another layer of research and talk to the current students and see if there is a stronger play perhaps with a local consulting office that may have a number of alums.

If you’re considering reapplying, I would strongly suggest investing time and effort and possibly money into your GMAT. Think about it, if you can bump your GMAT and perhaps spend 1000 bucks on a tutor, you may be able to get a full scholarship to one of these programs or get into better ranked schools.

PS. Schools are like baseball caps - One size fits all. You may not like how it looks but it’ll fit. So you walking into a baseball cap store and asking someone to recommend a baseball cap is not an errand I can help with ? There are several discussions and topics specifically written for the purpose of choosing and selecting and short listing business school programs. You can review them but there is no formula per se. when you get out of the Top 10 programs, things start looking very similar. There are many differences among schools however but they are small-ish. stem, is probably the biggest of them all (besides the big elephant in the room - rank)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q40 V35
GMAT 2: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.03
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi and congrats on your admits! I was also in a similar position last year and ended up going to Rady. I'm originally from southern California, so the geographic of UCSD was very beneficial to me. As MM stated, there won't be as much on-campus recruiting as compared to some of the other schools in the region, say UCLA or USC. However, there is a great career team, and if you're willing to be proactive, you can find great opportunities, especially at Biotech and Tech companies (I got a great internship in corporate finance through networking). Rady has a great marketing analytics program as well, so you can surely find a great marketing and analytics path. There is one consulting firm I know that recruits on campus and pays well (Gartner Consulting). I guess a lot depends on where you want to live after you graduate. As far as the schools are seen/respected in CA it usually goes Stanford > Berkeley > UCLA>USC > UCSD, and the school has a great reputation locally. Hope i've help shed a little bit of light! Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
If you want to be marketing analytics, you don’t need an MBA for it. A masters in analytics is good enough to get started.
You can aim to get a job at an ad tech or marketing tech company after that. I think all masters in analytics are STEM and they all have extremely good employment stats. I love UCSD for the weather and I love Pitt for the city.

Outside of consulting firms proving services in marketing/growth, a lot of marketing tech product company are based out of CA and a lot of marketing tech services companies are based out of NY (a few product companies too), so think of the location too-I feel location will help you to network and find your desired job.

With that information, I feel don’t limit yourself to an MBA for your long term goals.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V45
Send PM
all super mediocre programs; just go with the STEM program that offers you the most money
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 2.92
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi!

I would actually encourage you to go for Cass Business School for the following reasons.

1. UK Program in London -> The UK has introduced a 2 year post graduate visa that can be converted into a Tier 2. If you get a job in data analytics, your role will be on the UK skill shortage list. Therefore, you will be exempted from passing the labour market assessment test. Moreover, the eligibility for UK indefinite leave to remain (UK permanent residency) is 5 years vs. 20+ years for a Green Card in the USA if your country assignment is India.

2. Cass is part of the Microsoft Dynamics Academic Alliance. If you want to get into the Microsoft ecosystem, this is a school where many London-based Microsoft Partners (and even Microsoft themselves) actively target. If you are already part of the greater Microsoft ecosystem, this is a massive plus.

3. Schools in the USA tend to either be National Top 20 or highly regional. Based on where you got admission, I am not sure of the value of the network you would get that would help you get a job in the USA.

For the question of deferral, it would really depends on what you can get as a GMAT score. What is the breakdown of your score? By the way, you probably want to take the offer this year as next year's admission cycle (Fall 2020 application for matriculation in Fall 2021) is expected to be the most competitive of the last 5-10 years due to deferrals.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MBA_Marketing_HELP! [#permalink]
ANALysis wrote:
all super mediocre programs; just go with the STEM program that offers you the most money

Bet you are from Harvard or Stanford business school.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
JohnJohnJ wrote:
ANALysis wrote:

Nope ... (s)he's just another applicant who didn't bother trying to get in either of those two programs.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
perusingh@hotmail.com wrote:
<snip>
...my GMAT is disappointingly low - 640.
<snip>
[/size]

I think you've received some helpful feedback here.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ask for a deferral from a couple of schools ... then ... spend ALL the time you'd need to bump up the GMAT score. Due to the competitiveness of others with similar backgrounds, you'll need to be over 700 before having really much of an opportunity at any T15 program. But, even if you don't get all the way up to 700, there are still other T25 programs who do have on campus consulting recruiting.

Most of the information you're looking for is on each schools website. Good luck to you!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Regenerate wrote:
JohnJohnJ wrote:
ANALysis wrote:

Nope ... (s)he's just another applicant who didn't bother trying to get in either of those two programs.

Then I hope s/he has gotten into Harvard or Stanford to call someone else’s choice of school super mediocre.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
JohnJohnJ wrote:
Regenerate wrote:
JohnJohnJ wrote:
ANALysis wrote:

Then I hope s/he has gotten into Harvard or Stanford to call someone else’s choice of school super mediocre.

(S)he never even bothered applying to GSB or HBS...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Regenerate wrote:
JohnJohnJ wrote:
Regenerate wrote:
JohnJohnJ wrote:
ANALysis wrote:

(S)he never even bothered applying to GSB or HBS...
got it
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts