Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation 700 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ankzoutlaw wrote:
Hi,

Would be obliged if you could evaluate my profile and answer some questions ...

Profile summary
-------------------------------------------------------
Academics:
- GMAT 710 (Q49, V36, AWA 5.0) first try 660
- Undergrad: Non IIT Indian engineering college: decent and well known, 2009 passout GPA: 3.74, B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering
- Scholarships-2007/08/09

Work Experience:
-Will be 4 years 10 months by the time of joining
-as an engineering manager at a manufacturing plant for an Indian FMCG major
-Engineering Operations and Maintenance Management
Leading a team of 3 engineers and 31 technicians to manage the entire operations and maintenance of utility systems and ancillary services for a manufacturing plant
Planned and managed engineering services budget of $1M and energy budget of $2.2M.
-Energy Management
Co-ordinated the operation and maintenance of a total of 16 MW wind turbine generators.
-Led a project for IGBC Green Factory Certification for the unit: helped achieve LEED platinum rating.
Project Management
-Set up the maintenance systems of the Plant Utilities from scratch based of Integrated Facilities Management Principles
-Managed a project for supply side optimization of the unit’s water supply: Liasioned with consultants and statutory bodies for a hydro-geological survey of the unit
-Identified Six Sigma and lean implementation opportunities in engineering operations and ensured timely execution.
Cross functional exposure
-Involved in a cross-factory, cross-functional job evaluation exercise along with senior management for evaluating job descriptions and roles/responsibilities for entire division’s technical managers.
-Managed the HR activities for outsourced utility team: compliances with labour laws, training and development, ramp up/ramp down and attrition management.

Extra Curriculars..........
At current workplace: Secretary of Canteen Management Committee; Member of Central EHS (Safety) and Energy Conservation committees.
College: Member of Youth Red Cross Society; Fine Arts Club and Drama Club; Hostel mess management, took arts classes for underprivileged students in a local village school

Questions
1)What schools do I have a chance of getting into.....I would really be in need of a scholarship...so kindly let know the ones where I may land a scholarship as well. I was targtting MIT LGO, UCLA, Duke, ISB, CMU Tepper, UNC
2)What should be my post MBA goals....was interested in consulting....Energy/utilities or Operational Strategy...the specifics and long term goals are hazy as yet...would be great if you could suggest>

Thanks for your post. Now to your questions:

1) MIT LGO is a big stretch. You have a chance at all the others you list. Chances of scholarship are best at UNC and maybe Tepper. You may also want to consider UT Austin, SMU Cox, and Rice.
2) I'm really sorry, but I think determining your long-term goals should be something you do. Any of the paths you mentioned is possible, along with a host of others. I really don't have enough information to suggest your life-time professional goal and purpose.

I address how to develop a career goal (briefly) and the importance of having one as well as the role it should play in both choosing where to apply and how to apply. Obviously, if I wrote a book on the topic, I really can't address it in a forum post. The book is MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top MBA Programs. It is available around the world in both paperback and kindle version.

For individual tips on Why an MBA and how to portray your goals, please see MBA Goals 101.

Best,
Linda Abraham
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Linda...really gratefull...will check that book!! :)
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankzoutlaw wrote:
Thanks Linda...really gratefull...will check that book!! :)

you're welcome!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Please evaluate my profile.

Age/Sex/Nationality : 26/Male/Indian
GMAT : 730 (Q49/V40)
UG Major : BS in Computer Science & Engineering
UG College : Indian Institute Of Technology
UG GPA : 2.45/4.0
WE : 4 yrs (programmer / software-engineer / RnD)
Current Employee : Microsoft R&D (India)
Recommendations : Okayish. Not very strong
Why MBA : I want to switch to finances

Give me five schools where I have a good chance of admission. Give me five schools where I also have a good chance of scholarship.

I do not have very high-expectations about the rank of the school I might be getting into. However, scholarship is important as I am financially challenged.

Thanks and Regards.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
ankzoutlaw wrote:
Hi,

Would be obliged if you could evaluate my profile and answer some questions ...

Profile summary
-------------------------------------------------------
Academics:
- GMAT 710 (Q49, V36, AWA 5.0) first try 660
- Undergrad: Non IIT Indian engineering college: decent and well known, 2009 passout GPA: 3.74, B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering
- Scholarships-2007/08/09

Work Experience:
-Will be 4 years 10 months by the time of joining
-as an engineering manager at a manufacturing plant for an Indian FMCG major
-Engineering Operations and Maintenance Management
Leading a team of 3 engineers and 31 technicians to manage the entire operations and maintenance of utility systems and ancillary services for a manufacturing plant
Planned and managed engineering services budget of $1M and energy budget of $2.2M.
-Energy Management
Co-ordinated the operation and maintenance of a total of 16 MW wind turbine generators.
-Led a project for IGBC Green Factory Certification for the unit: helped achieve LEED platinum rating.
Project Management
-Set up the maintenance systems of the Plant Utilities from scratch based of Integrated Facilities Management Principles
-Managed a project for supply side optimization of the unit’s water supply: Liasioned with consultants and statutory bodies for a hydro-geological survey of the unit
-Identified Six Sigma and lean implementation opportunities in engineering operations and ensured timely execution.
Cross functional exposure
-Involved in a cross-factory, cross-functional job evaluation exercise along with senior management for evaluating job descriptions and roles/responsibilities for entire division’s technical managers.
-Managed the HR activities for outsourced utility team: compliances with labour laws, training and development, ramp up/ramp down and attrition management.

Extra Curriculars..........
At current workplace: Secretary of Canteen Management Committee; Member of Central EHS (Safety) and Energy Conservation committees.
College: Member of Youth Red Cross Society; Fine Arts Club and Drama Club; Hostel mess management, took arts classes for underprivileged students in a local village school

Questions
1)What schools do I have a chance of getting into.....I would really be in need of a scholarship...so kindly let know the ones where I may land a scholarship as well. I was targtting MIT LGO, UCLA, Duke, ISB, CMU Tepper, UNC
2)What should be my post MBA goals....was interested in consulting....Energy/utilities or Operational Strategy...the specifics and long term goals are hazy as yet...would be great if you could suggest>

Thanks for your post. Now to your questions:

1) MIT LGO is a big stretch. You have a chance at all the others you list. Chances of scholarship are best at UNC and maybe Tepper. You may also want to consider UT Austin, SMU Cox, and Rice.
2) I'm really sorry, but I think determining your long-term goals should be something you do. Any of the paths you mentioned is possible, along with a host of others. I really don't have enough information to suggest your life-time professional goal and purpose.

I address how to develop a career goal (briefly) and the importance of having one as well as the role it should play in both choosing where to apply and how to apply. Obviously, if I wrote a book on the topic, I really can't address it in a forum post. The book is MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top MBA Programs. It is available around the world in both paperback and kindle version.

For individual tips on Why an MBA and how to portray your goals, please see MBA Goals 101.

Best,
Linda Abraham

Hi Linda,
Please find below details on my profile. Would like to get your views on what you think about it.
GMAT:640(43-Quant, 34-Verbal)
Programs of interest-Part-time MBA in Kellogg, Chicago Booth and NYU Stern
Educational Background-
Masters in Engineering Management- Duke University GPA:3.45/4.0
Undergraduate degree in electronics and telecom engineering GPA:3.8/4.0
Professional Background
work experience- 4 years as a Strategic client relationship partner- Role includes strategy, business development, client relationship
International exposure- worked in chile, argentina and the states.
Community service with WIT (women in technology) to help them build their website for a fund raiser.

Please let me know if you need more details also your views on my chances in the above universities.
Thank you very much for your help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
Please find below details on my profile. Will be great if you can provide the evaluation.
Educational Background-
Professional Background
work experience- 4 years as a Strategic client relationship partner- Role includes strategy, business development, client relationship
Community service with WIT (women in technology) to help them build their website for a fund raiser.

Please let me know if you need more details also your views on my chances in the above universities.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sam1 wrote:
Hi,
Please find below details on my profile. Will be great if you can provide the evaluation.
Educational Background-
Professional Background

All these programs are significant stretches because your GMAT is at least 30 points below the schools average and for Chicago and Kellogg more. That's a big hurdle. But your grades and experience are good. Acceptance is possible but not likely. Improve your GMAT and your chances improve too.

Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
Sam1 wrote:
Hi,
Educational Background-
Professional Background

All these programs are significant stretches because your GMAT is at least 30 points below the schools average and for Chicago and Kellogg more. That's a big hurdle. But your grades and experience are good. Acceptance is possible but not likely. Improve your GMAT and your chances improve too.

Linda

Thanks Linda
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Hi Linda,

Can you help me too?

Please evaluate my profile on the following basis.

-Working as an Analyst(IT) for Accenture , 17 months till date.
Working with a leading bank in world as an analyst from Accenture
-Worked under a Chartered Accountant for 3 months , started at the end of my final year of Under Grad. Couldn't continue as i was relocated cause of my Analyst job. . Planning to resume with the CA further and leave the IT industry.
Planning to do CFA level 1 by july ( if that will help )
Taking a French language exam in march.

2. GMAT 710 (Q 50|V 37), AWA 5.0

3. College : MAIT , GGSIP univeristy , Delhi in Mechanical and automation Engineering, 72%

4. college Extra curricular
- Was part of the university and College Football(soccer) team through out the term.
- Organised and coordinated a few technical and various sports competition .
- Have played guitar as a solo performer and with the band Oth Level.
- - Gave tutions on Mathematics for class 10th to 12th students(secondary to senior secondry)
- Provided help and guided students in their senior secondary computer projects
- Helped and took part in starting the 'Siksha Jyoti' at the College aimed at helping the not so privileged kids in studies and other skill sets. It was aimed at the labor working at the nearby construction site. Was successful for 3 months
- Organised camps for teaching football(Soccer) to under privileges kids. Did this for two years in a local park near my house.

Post College -

- Currently the Vice captain of Accenture Football Team, Pune
- Joined sporty beans(voluntarily/no money) to teach young kids about sports and related ethics and values.

6. Want to apply to Stanford , Yale , Kellog ,Ross , SLoan , Wharton , Cornell.

7. want to apply for fall 2015 , R1 - 2014/2014-15

8. My main post MBA goal _ Entrepreneurial . (basically in sync with my incomplete co curricular activities)

Will really appreciate any and every input at this point. and for the point " Planning to resume with the CA further and leave the IT industry.

Best Regards,
Himanshu
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '14 NUS '16
Send PM
Please advice- I am targeting ISB Hyderabad

Xth - 83% (CBSE)
XII - 69 % (CBSE)
Bachelor in Engg ( Comp) - 67% (First Class with Distinction- University of Pune) {Over 60%}

I have around 5 yrs of experience in IT and have worked in the IT vertical of Development, Support and QA. I am currently working as a QA in Wealth Mgmt area for a leading MNC client.Have a total of 2+ yr experience as QA for applications and areas in Equity Derivative, Dual Currency Investment and Fund of Hedge Funds.

- Part of Toastmasters Club which is starting up in the Company

Please advice on a GMAT score that I should be targeting along with the areas to improve my profile so as to increase my chances for ISB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I am Ashwin from India .
Could you help evaluate my profile based on the following details for my target schools of HBS, LBS, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg (one year) and INSEAD in the first bucket.
IE Business School, IESE France and Indian School of Business (ISB) in the second bucket.

I am an Indian male 28 years old
GMAT- 670 ( q49, v33, IR7, AWA 4.5)
MBA-Finance(2011) : 2.96/4.0 ( From top 20 B-School in India)
B.E (IT)(2008) : 62%
XII (2004) : 70%
X (2002) : 77%
CFA Level-II Cleared and Level-III Candidate.

Work Experience:
1 Yr in a family Investment Real Estate trust with a mandate to invest in long term revenue generating assets in India
2 Yrs in leading Infrastructure Finance Company with a mandate to invest through Project Finance, Mezzanine and in the Energy Sector in India
2 Yrs in a leading Conglomerate with a focus on Merger & Acquisition, New Investment feasibility and Capital Budgeting in Qatar, Middle East.

Extra curriculum activities : Mountaineering, Field Sports (Played at University Level).
Community Contribution :
Have been involved with an NGO since 2005 as an volunteer , then as secretary from 2007-2009, then as board trustee form 2009-2011. The NGO is primarily into providing skill based employment oriented trainings and family upliftment programs. I was able to convince the board to start a free clinic along with other activities. The clinic was started in 2008 with the help of volunteer doctors, currently the clinic serves more than 100 patients/day with free consultation and medication. The family upliftment programs and skill based/employment oriented trainings at the NGO has positively impacted life of more than 1000 people in India since its inception in 2003.

Major Professional Contribution :
India : Have conducted due diligence for project with a combined investment potential of USD 5Bn and successfully invested USD 450Mn in the aforesaid projects.
Qatar : In view of bleak long term feasibility, strongly recommended winding down business operations in two countries, thus reducing the consolidated annual losses by 20%.
Further, in view of a major systemic risk of a government infrastructure project on the business operations of the conglomerate, reorganized and reallocated available resources to business division based on their contribution to the net profit. Thus reducing the impact of the Government Infrastructure project on the Net profit of the conglomerate from a reduction of 35% in annual net profits to a reduction of 20% in consolidated annual net profits.

Entrepreneurial Stint :
Co-Fonded a Technology outsourcing company in 2011, the company was primarily into recovering loans from USA clients. However, the company winded down operation after an year due to low profitability and other systemic risk.

Post Second MBA Motivation :
As mentioned above my 1st MBA is from one of the top 20 B-Schools in India, which invariably differs from a Global MBA program in terms of exposure and content. However, in line with my motivation to set up an private equity fund with a focus on social entrepreneurs in India requires global exposure and networking. Hence, this second MBA, from an elite B-School, shall be instrumental in building the requisite global skill set to raise a private equity fund for social investments in India.

Do you think i am strong candidate for these schools,given the fact this is my second MBA attempt within a total of 5 years of passing out from the first one. Or can u suggest a few B-Schools where I can have better chance of making it.
Also are these school mentioned above open to admit candidates with a prior MBA. How can I improve my profile ?
Would my failed entrepreneurial journey be negative for the adcoms of the schools mentioned above ?

Thanks
Ashwin
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Hi ,

Could you please evaluate my profile.

1) Brief description of full-time work experience.

4 years of full time work experience.

Currently working as a Software Analyst in the field of Business Intelligence (Industry: Gaming & Casino). (2013 Feb - present)

Previously worked in the BI vertical of a start-up (2010 July - 2013 Jan).

My work primarily involves design and development of Data Warehouses, dashboards and reports that give Business Users a holistic view of their organization in order to make better informed decisions. Working in BI, I have acquired both technical skills and knowledge of business domain, but with the focus shifting to the technical aspects of things.

Some highlights of my career are:
•Developed a BI solution framework for Healthcare Providers.
•Worked closely with Business users to developed dashboards for selective targeting of audience that would help the Event Management Company substantially reduce their E-mail marketing costs.
• At one point, the BI team that I was a part of faced high attrition rates. Nearly 6 out of 8 member team were getting replaced. The client was starting to get a little worried. I took the initiative to help out the new resources understand the client and the work we do for them. In about a month’s time they were able catch up with the processes and work independently, thus restoring the client’s trust.

2) GMAT.

740 (second attempt)- 51 Q + 39 V + 5 AWA + 6 IR
680 (first attempt)- 50 Q + 32 V + 5 AWA + 8 IR

3) School & College info:

10th Board - 86 %
12th Board - 90 %
College: NIT-Trichy (India) (Among the top 10 Engineering colleges in India)
GPA: 7.4/10
Major: B.Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering
Year of Graduation: 2010

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

a. Part of the Chennai Trekking Club. Organised and led groups of people (5-15 people) on treks from Chennai.
b. Successfully completed a 6-day trek at the Himalayas (Chanderkhani Pass).
c. Part of the college department dance troupe. Paticipated and Won several inter-department dance competitions.
d. Performed several dance shows in dance forms ranging from Bharatnatyam, Indian Folk, Salsa, Jive, Cha Cha Cha.
e. Organized 2 flash mobs in the city.
f. Started an online jewellery store that specializes in unique handcrafted beaded necklaces.
e. Volunteering Activities:
Volunteer at a summer dance workshop.

5) Preference

I am only interested in colleges with a chance of attaining a scholarship.

My target schools are:
UCLA Anderson, Tepper, Ross, Cornell
McCombs, Kelley Indiana, UNC kenan flagler
Mendoza, Georgetown, Olin

Please let me know my chances at these. Also, it would be great if you could suggest some other colleges that would suit my profile.

6) Post-MBA goal.
Looking to transition from IT into Management Consulting.

Short Term : Work at a management consulting firm.
Long Term : At this stage I am not very sure what a realistic long term goal would me for me. I was thinking, as a management consultant I would be able to gain knowledge of the various aspects of a business... and down the road explore the possibilities of starting one of my own.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Finance: Financial Engg
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 580 Q48 V28
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Dear linda ,
I have a gmat score of 720. q-49, v-40, awa-5.5, ir-3
i have an engg back ground with a first class, GPA- 7.3/10 and all sorts of extra curricular activities
will have a work experience of 3 yrs at the time of admission as i plan to apply for 2015 fall.
I own a small family business construction firm .
what are the colleges i can look at for A master's in finance or Master's In Financial Engg Course.
Please someone help me out here,
In need of some genuine advice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Profile Evaluation 700 [#permalink]
Hi Linda ,

I am a software engineer . I recently gave my GMAT

Score: 740 (Q:50 V:40 AWA:4 IR:8

undergraduate GPA: 3.6

Experience : 2 yrs (right now)

Interested area: Operations Management

extracurricular : average

I am looking for a good university in top 30 with good financial aid (a minimum of 60%).

1.What are my chances
2.Can I get a list of universities where you have good financial aid ?

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Finance: Financial Engg
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 580 Q48 V28
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Wat is the course you are looking for ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Full-Time MBA
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

This is to request you to review my profile. I intend to apply to a b school in the US and join in fall 2015. An overview of my profile is :

Current work ex : 12 months at Deloitte as Audit Assistant (Campus Placement). Should complete 22 -24 months by the time I am able to join.

NGO work in deloitte, Football team

Undergraduate : Bachelor Of Commerce (Honors) : Sri Venkateswara College, University Of delhi. Top 15 colleges in india : secured first division; overall 65.59%; Final year : 72%. Avg - cocurriculars, founded the quiz society;

Interned at the royal bank of scotland, delhi : 2 months

Worked for the polio plus campaign in rotary international : 2 months

High School : School topper (Commerce) Awarded prizes for brilliance in commerce, economics, maths.

GMAT 750 Q50 V 41

Also given 2 other attempts but both in 2012 within 2 months.

Trying for top 15 in US.

It would be great if you could suggest some good schools.

Thanks a ton !
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2