GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 11:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 13:40
Hi there,

I am planning on targeting the top 10 schools for the 2019 intake but have a few doubts that I will like to clarify before moving forward with the next steps -

1. Indian male with 3 years of work experience
2. GMAT score - 730
3. Weakness - Undergrad from a poor college in India with average GPA. I am an engineer with B.Tech in Computer Science
4. Strength - My weakness can be explained because of my health condition during those years. I was a model student from the start with 95% in Xth standard and was doing well in XIth also before being diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis, that made me hospitalised for almost a year. I started barely walking couple of months before XIIth exams but got 87% in them. Unfortunately didn't have time to prepare for engineering entrance exams and hence the undergrad school.
Though I have been making up for it since graduating with some really good work experience in the last 3 years. I have been an early stage key employee in one of India's leading digital entertainment companies, funded by the likes of Sequoia Capital. After doing various tasks from video production to marketing to recruiting, I along with the co-founders started the business development team and have helped in scaling that team from 2 to almost 15 now, spanning in 3 different cities. So work ex includes starting from entry position to the managerial level, doing multiple tasks across verticals with an entrepreneurial angle. My letter of recommendations will directly come from the co-founders, who are alumnus of top schools like Wharton and Princeton

A. How do I know if my profile is good enough for like these top 5 B-schools? Most seem to take into account good undergrad school and GPA and I am lacking in these despita having valid reasons or a very good growth story after graduating.

B. How to go on about school research as that seems to be one of the most important part of the application in terms showing a positive cultural fit. How to decide what the best schools for you are and not just go by the rankings?
Vantage Point MBA Co-Founder
S
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 10:38
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! We sold out early for round 1 this year and have been busy getting our clients through the deadlines. But I'm happy to be catching up today on some of the great questions in our forum. In case it's not too late, here are a few high level thoughts on your questions.

1) The truth is nobody knows if their profile is "good enough" until you receive an admissions decision. So trying to predict that is probably a bit pointless :) However, you can take some comfort in the fact that the MBA admissions process is holistic and the adcom weighs your professional and leadership experience along with your academic data points. Your job in your application is to write amazing, memorable essays that showcase your achievements, your ambition, and eagerness to learn/grow along with fit for that specific school. There are no guarantees that that will overcome your undergrad GPA but all you can do is try. Beyond that, apply to a range of schools so that you're hedging your bets.

2) There are so many great ways to get to know your target schools! Plan a campus visit that comes with a class visit and opportunities to speak with current students. Attend info sessions - in-person or online. Grab coffee with alums in your city and/or company. Reach out to board members of relevant professional clubs at your target schools and ask them for a 15-minute call to ask your questions. Etc. Lots of great ways to do your research - the key is to be proactive!

Best of luck to you!

Kindly,
Melody

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
https://vantagepointmba.com/
Your Personal MBA Application Experts
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA Profile Evaluation &nbs [#permalink] 27 Sep 2018, 10:38

MBA Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap