It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 11:09

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 05:08
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 424

Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 08:59
absolutely horrible passage. Can argue multiple answers for most questions

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 424

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1554

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 17:10
For all those who're confused b\w choices B and D in Q2, here's a simple, accurate and GMAT way of eliminating the wrong one:-

Pointless” and “Doomed” are extreme words (i.e. there's 0% chance of any revival), and thus should be avoided in RC answers if not explicitly mentioned or supported.

In the mentioned passage author has no where mentioned about the absolute surety or guarantee of Indonesian rhino's extinction by human's benevolence. Instead, author has used the word "may" many times.

Thanks to Ron, Manhattan Prep, for the insight.

** When even your best effort fails, do you back down from chasing your dreams ??? **

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1554

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 971 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 07:04
suhasancd wrote:
Which of the following best expresses the author’s attitude toward the likely fate of the Javan Rhino?

A .optimistic about the Indonesian rhino’s long-term survival

B.resigned to the eventual extinction of the species

C.uncertain about the on-going impact of farmers and hunters

D.pessimistic about the species’ chances for survival

E.ambivalent about the long-term outcome for the Javan rhinoceros

Correct answer : D

from the passage : ... The lack of human disturbance, however, allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation preferred by the animals. Human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.

From these sentences, I choose A, as the author is optimistic that the conditions are favorable for Rhino population to grow.

Pls help.

Through out the passage , the author is using negative for the survival of these rhinos. At the end also, the author said "MAY" implying he is not sure about that as well.

So, Pessimistic about its survival should be BEST option out of all.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Current Student
S

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 09:49
Moderators,

Can you change the answer to the last question here. Most of the people say that it is E, as opposed to A (A is marked as OA)

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 79

Board of Directors
D

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 06:07
Keats wrote:
Moderators,

Can you change the answer to the last question here. Most of the people say that it is E, as opposed to A (A is marked as OA)

I also marked E for this question. Not sure whether OA is incorrect or my answer is incorrect.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 23:53
I got 3 wrong (Q1, Q2 and Q6) in 8:30 minutes. A disaster!

However, if I commited two silly mistakes in the first two questions ( in the first one I didn't know the meaning of "mating", so I went for A, but that one is crealry the classic "going too far" answer; in the second Q I chose B even knowing that answers with extreme words are almost never correct), I don't know what is wrong with answer E of question six. I see that the test says " For centuries, farmers, who favored the same habitat, viewed them as crop eating pests and shot them on sight", but it also says that "thousands were slaughtered" during the colonial period.

Any help?

03/29/16 GmatPrep CAT1 600 (Q 47 V 26) + long break.
09/26/16 MGMAT CAT1 560 (Q41 V 27)
10/12/16 MGMAT CAT2 630 (Q46 V 31)
10/21/16 MGMAT CAT3 640 (Q42 V36)
10/28/16 GmatPrep Cat2 660 (Q49 V 31)
11/15/16 MGMAT Cat4 640 (Q41 V 36)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 264

GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 09:50
Kconfused wrote:
Is it me or does anyone else think that these answers are complete bonkers?
He mentions the horn of a Javan Rhino and contrasts it with the horns of its Sumatran neighbours to give us a physical description? That can't be the reason. It is to show how these Rhinos have evolved into their own sub species (growing a single horn).
I suppose answers to a couple more questions are laughable too!
Can we have someone from Manhattan drop in and say word on the correct answers, please? Can't find any on the web!

True ! I felt there was some sort of disconnect between the passage,question and answers ! Weird indeed !

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 264

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 571

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 09:45
All correct except question 6
It is nowhere written in the passage that the most near extinction of rhino was shooting on sight by farmers.
Experts any thoughts on this .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 571

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 03:47
Answer to question 6 should be E.
It is nowhere mentioned in the passage that farmer-killing was the "MAJOR" reason, right?

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 03:53
pammy wrote:
Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoceros is often called the rarest large mammal on earth. None exist in zoos. Like the Indian rhino, the Javan has only one horn; African and Sumatran rhinos have two. While the Javan rhino habitat once extended across southern Asia, now there are fewer than one hundred of the animals in Indonesia and under a dozen in Vietnam. Very little is known about Javan rhinos because they lead secretive and solitary lives in remote jungles. Until recently, scientists debated whether females even have horns, and most scientific work has had to rely on DNA garnered from dung. The near extinction of the Javan rhino is the direct result of human actions. For centuries, farmers, who favored the same habitat, viewed them as crop eating pests and shot them on sight. During the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands. Now, human efforts to save them may well prove futile. The Vietnamese herd is probably doomed, as too few remain to maintain the necessary genetic variation. Rhinos from Java cannot supplement the Vietnamese numbers because in the millions of years since Indonesia separated from the mainland, the two groups have evolved into separate sub-species. In Indonesia, the rhinos are protected on the Ujung Kulon peninsula, which is unsettled by humans, and still have sufficient genetic diversity to have a chance at survival. Ironically, however, the lack of human disturbance allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation the animals prefer. Thus, human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.
1. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

A. Javan rhinos are one of the most endangered animals on the planet.
B. More is known about the genetics of the Javan rhino than is known about its mating patterns.
C. Hunters killed more Javan rhinos in Vietnam than in Indonesia.
D. Most animal extinctions are the result of human actions.
E. Genetic diversity is the most important factor for the survival of a species.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

2. The author’s attitude toward current human efforts to save the Javan rhino can best be described as

A. optimistic and worthwhile
B. pointless and doomed
C. idealistic but profitable
D. problematic and ironic
E. confused but heroic

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

3. The author mentions that the Javan rhino has only one horn in order to do which of the following?

A. explain why it is closer to extinction than the African rhino
B. contrast it to the number of horns that the Indian rhino has
C. demonstrate its evolution into a separate sub-species
D. describe the features of the animal
E. contrast it to the number of horns that females have

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

4. The purpose of the first paragraph is to

A. discuss the different types of rhinoceroses that populate the world
B. describe the ways in which human actions have brought the Javan rhino close to extinction
C. outline the few known facts about the Javan rhino
D. discuss the steps taken to save the Javan rhino
E. highlight the differences between the sub-species of Javan rhinos in Vietnam and Indonesia

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

5. According to the passage, which of the following best explains why the number of Javan rhinos in Vietnam cannot be increased by additions from those in the Ujung Kulon peninsula?

A. The Indonesian Javan rhinos constitute a separate sub-species.
B. The Javan rhinos cannot swim to Vietnam and have no land route available.
C. Neither Vietnam nor Indonesia has the funds for such a project.
D. Javan rhinos in the Ujung Kulon peninsula are almost impossible to capture.
E. Terrorist activity in Indonesia has made such a project too dangerous to attempt.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

6. The author states that which of the following was most responsible for the near extinction of the Javan rhino?

A. farmers shooting them on sight
B. the separation of Indonesia from the mainland
C. hunters slaughtering thousands
D. current human efforts to save them
E. the cumulative effect of many past human activities

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Please explain, question 1 and 2. I am thoroughly confused!

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2017, 09:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Javan rhinoceros is often called the rarest large mammal on earth. None exist in zoos. Like the Indian rhino, the Javan has only one horn; African and Sumatran rhinos have two. While the Javan rhino habitat once extended across southern Asia, now there are fewer than one hundred of the animals in Indonesia and under a dozen in Vietnam. Very little is known about Javan rhinos because they lead secretive and solitary lives in remote jungles. Until recently, scientists debated whether females even have horns, and most scientific work has had to rely on DNA garnered from dung. The near extinction of the Javan rhino is the direct result of human actions. For centuries, farmers, who favored the same habitat, viewed them as crop eating pests and shot them on sight. During the colonial period, hunters slaughtered thousands. Now, human efforts to save them may well prove futile. The Vietnamese herd is probably doomed, as too few remain to maintain the necessary genetic variation. Rhinos from Java cannot supplement the Vietnamese numbers because in the millions of years since Indonesia separated from the mainland, the two groups have evolved into separate sub-species. In Indonesia, the rhinos are protected on the Ujung Kulon peninsula, which is unsettled by humans, and still have sufficient genetic diversity to have a chance at survival. Ironically, however, the lack of human disturbance allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation the animals prefer. Thus, human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment.
1. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

A. Javan rhinos are one of the most endangered animals on the planet. -One of the MOST endangered? Incorrect
B. More is known about the genetics of the Javan rhino than is known about its mating patterns. -CORRECT. Scientists don't have much information. They perform analysis from "dung" for a particular theory.
C. Hunters killed more Javan rhinos in Vietnam than in Indonesia.-No such information given.
D. Most animal extinctions are the result of human actions. -Most animals is a generalisation. This passage is about Javan rhinos
E. Genetic diversity is the most important factor for the survival of a species. -Most important? Exaggerated

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

2. The author’s attitude toward current human efforts to save the Javan rhino can best be described as

A. optimistic and worthwhile -Not at all optismistic
B. pointless and doomed -Yes its "futile" but not sad.
C. idealistic but profitable -Not at all idealistic
D. problematic and ironic -Yes both problematic and ironical - "Ironically, however, the lack of human disturbance allows mature forests to replace the shrubby vegetation the animals prefer. Thus, human benevolence may prove little better for these rhinos than past human maltreatment"
E. confused but heroic -Not at all heroic

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

3. The author mentions that the Javan rhino has only one horn in order to do which of the following?

A. explain why it is closer to extinction than the African rhino -No comparison for extinction
B. contrast it to the number of horns that the Indian rhino has -No such contrast mentioned. Its just plain simple information
C. demonstrate its evolution into a separate sub-species -No evolution is demonstrated
D. describe the features of the animal -CORRECT. The author is simply saying that like indian rhinos, Javan rhinos have 1 horn. He further states that african rhinos have 2 horn. There is contrast, no seperate theory. Its simple straightforward.
E. contrast it to the number of horns that females have -No contrast

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

4. The purpose of the first paragraph is to

A. discuss the different types of rhinoceroses that populate the world -Absolutely not. Passage is just about Javan rhinos.
B. describe the ways in which human actions have brought the Javan rhino close to extinction -No, its not the central point of first para.
C. outline the few known facts about the Javan rhino -CORRECT. Author simply states facts about javan rhino
D. discuss the steps taken to save the Javan rhino -No
E. highlight the differences between the sub-species of Javan rhinos in Vietnam and Indonesia -LOL

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

5. According to the passage, which of the following best explains why the number of Javan rhinos in Vietnam cannot be increased by additions from those in the Ujung Kulon peninsula?

A. The Indonesian Javan rhinos constitute a separate sub-species. CORRECT. Straight from the passage
B. The Javan rhinos cannot swim to Vietnam and have no land route available. -Are you kidding me?
C. Neither Vietnam nor Indonesia has the funds for such a project. -ROFL
D. Javan rhinos in the Ujung Kulon peninsula are almost impossible to capture. So what? We dont know about rhinos in vietnam
E. Terrorist activity in Indonesia has made such a project too dangerous to attempt. -LOL

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

6. The author states that which of the following was most responsible for the near extinction of the Javan rhino?
"I DONT AGREE WITH THE OA GIVEN FOR THIS OPTION."
A. farmers shooting them on sight -This is just an example.
B. the separation of Indonesia from the mainland -No
C. hunters slaughtering thousands -This is just an example
D. current human efforts to save them -No
E. the cumulative effect of many past human activities -Yes its the human activities. Maybe for centuries farmers killed a million of rhinos. And later with much more advanced weaponry the poachers killed a 999,999 (that is still thousands). No concrete reason is given for any particular activity to become the winner

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos if it helps!!

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 138

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
For anyone interested in reading the source article to improve RC

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/11/science/11rhin.html

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 23

Re: Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2017, 20:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

Measuring more than five feet tall and ten feet long, the Ja

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap