Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 01:50 It is currently 12 May 2024, 01:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51501 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51501 [5]
Send PM
Re: Michigan Ross Admitted Students Class of 2022 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bacarin wrote:
Thank you Souvik!

I have just got my call. I was accepted with full-tuition scholarship from Pinkert Scholars Program! I can't believe it.

The only thing that worries me a little is the fact that Ross does not offer the STEM designation. Which makes it a little more difficult for me to try to stay in the US for some time. But I am still evaluating pros and cons of each school. Deciding where to go is way more difficult than I thought.

Congrats to everyone!!

Ross will offer STEM for everyone in the class of 2022! They announced it last week. More details in January!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
AMAZING!! What a relief. Thank you for the update. Looking forward for more information next month!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73157 [1]
Given Kudos: 18947
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bacarin wrote:
AMAZING!! What a relief. Thank you for the update. Looking forward for more information next month!

Bacarin - amazing job on your admits!!!!
Congratulations! I'd be curious what you end up choosing - that will be some soul searching required in the next month or so..... :cool:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bacarin wrote:
Thank you Souvik!

I have just got my call. I was accepted with full-tuition scholarship from Pinkert Scholars Program! I can't believe it.

The only thing that worries me a little is the fact that Ross does not offer the STEM designation. Which makes it a little more difficult for me to try to stay in the US for some time. But I am still evaluating pros and cons of each school. Deciding where to go is way more difficult than I thought.

Congrats to everyone!!

Hi!

I'm in the same boat as you. R1 schools are pretty much similar so hope we can share our decision-making thoughts together in the coming weeks:)
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51501 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Full tuition scholarship is a game changer.

I have one quarter left at Ross and can talk candidly about my experience. So if I can help with decisions, feel free to post questions!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

I have one quarter left at Ross and can talk candidly about my experience. So if I can help with decisions, feel free to post questions!

Any experience with Consortium? I foolishly didn't rank Ross #1 (I ranked schools closer to home higher due to possibility of staying home rent free with family) so they can't currently offer it to me (got accepted into Consortium and into Ross), and I'm concerned there won't be any $$ left by the time the Consortium member schools gather to do their "draft" in March. They did offer some scholarship money, and while it's nothing to scoff at, it's still on the lower end. :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Hey Souvik, I am in a fix between Tepper ($$) vs Foster ($$) vs Ross (no aid). What are your thoughts on this? I believe you have been in a similar situation.

PS - Career Goal - Product Management(in Tech).
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73157 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chiragmishra93 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Hey Souvik, I am in a fix between Tepper ($$) vs Foster ($$) vs Ross (no aid). What are your thoughts on this? I believe you have been in a similar situation.

I think he was in the exact/very similar situation and chose Ross. I have asked him again earlier this week if he felt the decision was right and he did not hesitate - he said it was.... I will let him give his perspective and not steal ALL of the thunder :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
chiragmishra93 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

I think he was in the exact/very similar situation and chose Ross. I have asked him again earlier this week if he felt the decision was right and he did not hesitate - he said it was.... I will let him give his perspective and not steal ALL of the thunder :lol:

Thanks for the insights. What's your take on the situation by the way ?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73157 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
A lot of it is a risk versus reward and how strongly you feel about your networking skills. You can go to the best school in the world but if you are introverted and your networking skills of bad, you have a hard time recruiting no matter what. The bottom line is of the best jobs require you to have frequent contacts, calls, network, etc. The employers expect that kind of attention and it’s a part of the selection process. They want tenacious and persistent people who can meanwhile be professional, polished and get things done.

I guess what I’m saying is that if you lack the skills or don’t feel that he will be able to be a go-getter, a more conservative approach and a scholarship is a safer path. The second thing I’m saying is that no matter which program you go to, I highly recommend that you work on your speaking, presentation, and communication skills. That will help you not only in the business school but also in the professional world and potentially personal as well. Going for a top 10 program without scholarship versus a top 20 with a scholarship is like playing at a high stakes poker table. You can win a lot but you can also lose more.... a lot of it is personal perspective and how bullish you feel about yourself. Souvik’s bet played out but it did not come easy and he had to work hard to get his offers. Nobody came to Ross and handed them to him ;-)

PS. STEM Certification definitely helps and reduces some of that risk.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
A lot of it is a risk versus reward and how strongly you feel about your networking skills. You can go to the best school in the world but if you are introverted and your networking skills of bad, you have a hard time recruiting no matter what. The bottom line is of the best jobs require you to have frequent contacts, calls, network, etc. The employers expect that kind of attention and it’s a part of the selection process. They want tenacious and persistent people who can meanwhile be professional, polished and get things done.

I guess what I’m saying is that if you lack the skills or don’t feel that he will be able to be a go-getter, a more conservative approach and a scholarship is a safer path. The second thing I’m saying is that no matter which program you go to, I highly recommend that you work on your speaking, presentation, and communication skills. That will help you not only in the business school but also in the professional world and potentially personal as well. Going for a top 10 program without scholarship versus a top 20 with a scholarship is like playing at a high stakes poker table. You can win a lot but you can also lose more.... a lot of it is personal perspective and how bullish you feel about yourself. Souvik’s bet played out but it did not come easy and he had to work hard to get his offers. Nobody came to Ross and handed them to him ;-)

Thank you for the insights. Really appreciate your help. It definitely is a huge leap of faith.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73157 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Oh yes! $200k and that gets you at night. I remember my nights when I am exhausted and recruiting and that pile of debt definitely did not keep me warm

It takes nerves to handle :cool:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 503 [0]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
As someone who's been playing poker on the sides for 7-8 years, I love the analogy bb :-D There's definitely a higher risk, but also bigger payouts if you play well (and have that little bit of necessary luck). :)

bb wrote:

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51501 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I feel like a celebrity!

Well, I did think about going to McCombs at almost zero cost, but in the end it boiled down to what my network is going to be. If I wanted to do just tech, McCombs would probably be just fine. However, this time around for full time recruiting, I got the opportunity to interview with almost all big consulting firms on the planet. This is where Ross outdoes other peer and lower ranked schools. The breadth of the opportunity is a lot bigger. So in the end, it was actually playing it somewhat-safe that did the trick.

Plus, I did not have to take financial care of my parents, which was an incredible bonus for me. My dad always strived to make sure his two kids are well off and do not need to worry about basic needs and that he can retire knowing he won't need handouts. That helped me to actually be more risk-prone financially. I felt I would do him a disservice if I also played safe.

Finally, I still don't know if I will be picked up in the H1 lottery, or if I will perform well enough to not get fired in my post MBA job or whether I will get to go to an international office in case H1 does not work out. Life as an international student does not get easier with time :(

But I guess, one step at a time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
Send PM