GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Michigan Ross vs Duke Fuqua

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Michigan Ross vs Duke Fuqua [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 22:01
I know these are very similar schools that have been compared ad nauseum but I'm looking for a little insight. I'm in at Ross and on the WL at Fuqua but if I gain acceptance to Fuqua next week (March 13 Round 2 decisions) then I've heard there is a 24-48 hour response time required for admitted candidates from the WL. Of course all of this is moot if I'm not able to convert the WL to an acceptance at Duke and if that's the case I'll be ecstatic to head to Ross this fall. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something in case I do get the Duke offer. Assume no scholarship offers from either school.

Both schools are great and have similar offerings. My background is in the provider and payer space of the healthcare industry and I'd like to stay in that area post-MBA at a consulting firm or internal strategy role. Duke has a great Health Sector Management program but Ross launched a new Health Care Management concentration and has some great resources available as well.

Duke has the largest class of healthcare focused students (70-100 students depending on the year) and attracts a lot of healthcare employers, but I'm only interested in provider or payer opportunities. I'm not interested in biotech, pharma, med device, etc.

Would being part of a smaller group of healthcare interested students at Ross put me at any advantage for recruiting? Or would the greater number of healthcare recruiters coming to Fuqua and more developed healthcare program negate the added interest from fellow students? I noticed one firm, The Chartis Group, a healthcare provider consulting firm, recruits at Ross but not at Fuqua. Not sure if there are other provider/payer firms that recruit at one school but not the other.

I really like both schools. Both are collaborative, have great sports, and offer practical work experience (MAP @ Ross vs FCCP at Fuqua). I'm fine with either location. I'm in the Midwest now but have ties to the Southeast. I could see myself spending 2 years in Ann Arbor or Durham and taking a post-MBA job in Chicago, Atlanta, or any other location. I'm more interested in the post-MBA job itself rather than where it would be located.

I appreciate any insight you all may have!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Premium Member
Re: Michigan Ross vs Duke Fuqua [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 04:49
I could write down several reasons why being a small fish in a big pond (choosing Duke) is better in this case. However, let me stick to a few big points -
1.) More students in HSM = more employers. I didn't check out Chartis at the time of applying, but there are tons of other payer and provider firms that recruit at Fuqua (especially payer). There are quite a few consulting firms as well. Also, I could write down not one, but several firms which recruit at Fuqua but not at Ross.
2.) HSM has a very solid reputation. Also, better alumni network in the healthcare industry. Think post MBA opportunities.
3.) Concentration of healthcare firms in the RTP area gives you many opportunities to indulge yourself in consulting/internship activities.
4.) There are so many opportunities at Fuqua for the HSM group that it is very difficult to pursue all of them. Check this out, if you haven't already - current-student-blogs-164691.html
You may work at the Duke hospital/medical center, consult CXOs on the hospital's IT/operations strategies and what not.

Having said that, don't bang your head over it right now. I think you have some good options and are looking at things in the right way. Good luck for the rest of the process.

Disclosure - I'm a process consultant in the provider industry and admitted at Duke.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 06:04
I won't rehash the above points, but if you get off the Duke WL, then Duke by a country mile.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 07:35
I think Duke too. Ross is going to drop in the rankings a bit soon too I think, due to its very high acceptance rate after expanding the class size.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2014, 10:17
For what you want after school, you should go to Duke if you get in. However, you'll definitely have opportunities at Ross, you may just have to do a little more legwork by yourself (off-campus job search if the companies that you really want don't come to campus). Also, as a Michigan undergrad alum, I can't think of (m)any better combinations of university + college town than Michigan and Ann Arbor. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2014, 20:20
Thanks all for your input! Definitely some great resources available at Fuqua, especially for my goals. Hopefully I get some good news next week.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2014, 12:05
There’s an intangible fact to Fuqua’s HSM that can’t be replicated with a healthcare concentration. Much like the entrepreneurial culture in Silicon Valley is difficult to replicate elsewhere. The students and professors in HSM live and breathe healthcare (all aspects). HSM is on top of your existing classes, so you are not substituting. If you want to do anything related to healthcare, Fuqua is the place to be.
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2014, 16:56
mgh234 wrote:
I think Duke too. Ross is going to drop in the rankings a bit soon too I think, due to its very high acceptance rate after expanding the class size.

Oops.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2014, 13:09
JavertHL wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

Oops.

To be fair, they cut their class, which is why they went up in the rankings. But ya, egg on my face haha.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 19:00
No word from Fuqua today meaning I'm still on the WL. I've decided to withdraw from the WL and am really excited to attend Ross!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and I agree Fuqua has an excellent, established HSM program. In addition to the offerings I can utilize within Ross (healthcare focused MAP, coursework, Healthcare & Life Science Club, etc), I plan to take some electives within the Michigan School of Public Health. Their Health Management & Policy department has a wealth of course offerings and I'll be able to develop relationships with current students, who will be largely working for payer and provider organizations. I'll also have access (to a lesser extent) to the School of Public Health alumni network.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and good luck to everyone for the rest of the admissions cycle! If I'm still around here, I'll try to come back and post on my experience at Ross. :)
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 21:36
Just curious - did you let Duke know about the Ross admit?

Either ways, you are in a solid position and I'm sure 2 great years await you at Ross. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2014, 10:30
jumsumtak wrote:
Just curious - did you let Duke know about the Ross admit?

Either ways, you are in a solid position and I'm sure 2 great years await you at Ross. Good luck!

No I didn't mention any other programs to Duke. Gave them updates about work and new honors received.

Thanks for the wishes and your insight :)
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2014, 19:46
I'd rather not start a completely new thread so I'll post my question here in hopes of a response. How would you compare Duke vs. Michigan in terms of investment banking or anything finance related? Full ride to both schools.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2014, 19:48
You should have no problem getting IB from either if you have a full scholarship. Duke is probably marginally better, but go to which you like more.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
GRE 1: 325 Q161 V164
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 11:01
Shuffle wrote:
No word from Fuqua today meaning I'm still on the WL. I've decided to withdraw from the WL and am really excited to attend Ross!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and I agree Fuqua has an excellent, established HSM program. In addition to the offerings I can utilize within Ross (healthcare focused MAP, coursework, Healthcare & Life Science Club, etc), I plan to take some electives within the Michigan School of Public Health. Their Health Management & Policy department has a wealth of course offerings and I'll be able to develop relationships with current students, who will be largely working for payer and provider organizations. I'll also have access (to a lesser extent) to the School of Public Health alumni network.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and good luck to everyone for the rest of the admissions cycle! If I'm still around here, I'll try to come back and post on my experience at Ross. :)

Will be great to hear about the outcome of your time at Ross
Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 06:56
Top Contributor
SeptCent wrote:
I'd rather not start a completely new thread so I'll post my question here in hopes of a response. How would you compare Duke vs. Michigan in terms of investment banking or anything finance related? Full ride to both schools.

Both are good, but obviously not comparable to the behemoths of the east coast. You should be fine at both the schools , but you would have to network crazy to get a shot at IB from either of those schools.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Re: Michigan Ross vs Duke Fuqua   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2017, 06:56

Michigan Ross vs Duke Fuqua

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, jessepinkman, teleste

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap