Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1663 [13]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 108
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.43
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: Most movie critics dislike Hollywood blockbusters. [#permalink]
I think the answer is wrong here.
My reasoning for C to be must true is
Most movie critics dislike Hollywood blockbusters. and Some people who dislike Hollywood blockbusters are huge fans of theater.

As per my limited understanding, Option a does not need to be true. My reasoning is:
the arguments does mentions :
If someone dislikes Hollywood blockbusters they are a snob
but reverse need not to be true. There may be some "snob" who does not dislike Hollywood blockbuster

Please correct me if i am wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Most movie critics dislike Hollywood blockbusters. [#permalink]
Kudos
SALAKSHYA wrote:
I think the answer is wrong here.
My reasoning for C to be must true is
Most movie critics dislike Hollywood blockbusters. and Some people who dislike Hollywood blockbusters are huge fans of theater.

As per my limited understanding, Option a does not need to be true. My reasoning is:
the arguments does mentions :
If someone dislikes Hollywood blockbusters they are a snob
but reverse need not to be true. There may be some "snob" who does not dislike Hollywood blockbuster

Please correct me if i am wrong.

SALAKSHYA, perhaps quantifying things would help here.

1. A scenario where option C does not have to be true.
->Number of movie critics = 100, no. of movie critics that dislike Hollywood blockbusters = 60 (most means more than 50%)
->Total number of people who dislike hollywood busters = 10,000,000 (Note that there is no limitation to the number of people who dislike hollywood busters).
->The relevant statement given in the question - Some people who dislike Hollywood blockbusters are huge fans of theater. Some means more than 1.
->Now think about it, why would C need to be true? Consider that there are only 2 people (out of the 10 million that dislike hollywood busters) that are fans of theatre. Why would these 2 be the movie critics? They could be, but they don't have to be.

2. Here is why option A must be true - What you've concluded isn't wrong. I agree there may be a snob who does not dislike hollywood blockbuster, but that's not what this option is about. The option starts with if someone is not a snob. Now if someone is not a snob, they definitely do not dislike hollywood busters (the question states - If someone dislikes Hollywood blockbusters, they are a snob). Consequently, if someone does not dislike Hollywood blockbusters, they like large explosions. So whoever is not a snob will definitely like large explosions as we know that the non-snobs cannot be the people who dislike hollywood busters.

Hope this helps you out! :)

Originally posted by MBAB123 on 23 Jul 2021, 22:23.
Last edited by MBAB123 on 27 Jul 2021, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Can someone please explain why E is wrong...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Devil05 wrote:
Can someone please explain why E is wrong...

Hey Devil05, I'd be happy to, but would you mind telling me why you think E doesn't have to be true? The third sentence of the passage states - Most people who are over the age of fifty dislike Hollywood blockbusters. This sentence obviously implies that there are at least some people that dislike hollywood blockbusters and are over the age of 50.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Brian123 wrote:

1. A scenario where option C does not have to be true.
->Number of movie critics = 100, no. of movie critics that dislike Hollywood blockbusters = 60 (most means more than 50%)
->Total number of people who dislike hollywood busters = 10,000,000 (Note that there is no limitation to the number of people who dislike hollywood busters).
->The relevant statement given in the question - Some people who dislike Hollywood blockbusters are huge fans of theater. Some means more than 1.
->Now think about it, why would C need to be true? Consider that there are only 2 people (out of the 10 million that dislike hollywood busters) that are fans of theatre. Why would these 2 be the movie critics? They could be, but they don't have to be.

Hope this helps you out! :)

ThanksBrian123,
I had chosen A over C and got it wrong.
This explanation of yours has definitely helped.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
elenysuk1 wrote:

A) If someone is not a snob, they like large explosions. - if someone does not dislike (LIKES) HB => is not a snob=> like explosions

B) Most movie critics are snobs. - most mc dislike HB => most are snobs

C) Some movie critics are huge fans of theater. - not necessarily, some people who dislike HB and like theater can be in the group outside of the group of critics (there can be 5 critics in the group of 1000 people, 3 of them don't like HB and possibly like romantic comedies, and dislike theatres)

D) Most people over the age of fifty are snobs.- most people over 50 dislike HB => most snobs

E) Some people who dislike Hollywood blockbusters are over the age of fifty.

Most people who are over the age of fifty dislike Hollywood blockbusters.=> some dislike

Thanks.
This explanation of yours, though not clear in first reading, helps to speed up thought process.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts