GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 22:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 21:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (01:09) correct 46% (01:09) wrong based on 308 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines. It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that uranium fetches on the world market. Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable. Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

A. Whether the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted

B. Whether most uranium is used near where it is mined

C. Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the cost of extracting uranium from seawater

D. Whether the total amount of uranium in seawater is significantly greater than the total amount of uranium on land

E. Whether uranium can be extracted from freshwater at a cost similar to the cost of extracting it from seawater

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2014, 08:50
Found a very nice explanation on manhattangmat.
here is the link for that http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/mos ... t3508.html

whoa, no, guys. that's not the issue here.

the problem is this:

the argument says
until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

in other words, the argument is saying that the ONLY WAY that seawater extraction will be commercially viable is if the cost of that extraction comes down.

to weaken the argument, then, you need to find ANOTHER way in which seawater extraction will be commercially viable, WITHOUT a cost reduction.
this is what choice (a) does. if the uranium on land is being depleted, then extracting uranium from seawater will become "commercially viable", out of pure necessity. the cost will go up, but that's the breaks.

choice (c) doesn't actually affect the argument at all, because the argument already acknowledges that uranium will become commercially viable IF the price comes down.

--

analogy:
if i tell you this:
unless you eat my fish 'n' chips, you'll never know the true meaning of gastronomic ecstasy

then:
* if you say "eating your fish 'n' chips will give me gastronomic ecstasy", then that doesn't affect my statement at all, because you're just echoing what i've already told you.

however:
* if you say "au contraire, i can also get gastronomic ecstasy from a nice fat slice of meat lover's pizza", then that weakens my argument, because i'm telling you there's only one source of gastronomic ecstasy but you're countering with another.

substitute
fish 'n' chips --> cost increase
pizza --> depletion of land resources
gastonomic ecstasy --> commercially viable
...and there you have it.

Kudos me if you like my post !!!!

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: HKUST '15, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 23:10
souvik101990 wrote:
Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines. It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that uranium fetches on the world market. Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable. Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

C. Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the cost of extracting uranium from seawater

D. Whether the total amount of uranium in seawater is significantly greater than the total amount of uranium on land

E. Whether uranium can be extracted from freshwater at a cost similar to the cost of extracting it from seawater

Well this is a toughie.Two options are too close.
Fact 1: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines
Fact 2: It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that uranium fetches on the world market.
Conclusion: until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable

CORRECT.If the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted then we have no other choice to shift to some other source .Doesn't matter what the cost of extraction is !
Out of scope. We are concerned about price of extraction not transportation cost or any other thing that this argument is hinting.
Incorrect.This is tempting.But i believe the argument is made now so we have to check the validity NOW.The future techs are out of scope.
Irrelevant. It doesn't matter how large quantity is available in seawater.If the cost of extraction is high,we will not fetch it.
Out of SCOPE.This introduces a new source.We need to evaluate seawater only.

Success has been and continues to be defined as Getting up one more time than you have been knocked down.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: HKUST '15, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 23:10
souvik101990 wrote:

Well this is a toughie.Two options are too close.
Fact 1: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines
Fact 2: It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that uranium fetches on the world market.
Conclusion: until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable

CORRECT.If the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted then we have no other choice to shift to some other source .Doesn't matter what the cost of extraction is !
Out of scope. We are concerned about price of extraction not transportation cost or any other thing that this argument is hinting.
Incorrect.This is tempting.But i believe the argument is made now so we have to check the validity NOW.The future techs are out of scope.
Irrelevant. It doesn't matter how large quantity is available in seawater.If the cost of extraction is high,we will not fetch it.
Out of SCOPE.This introduces a new source.We need to evaluate seawater only.

Success has been and continues to be defined as Getting up one more time than you have been knocked down.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 23:37
Prem:
Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines.
It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that uranium fetches on the world market.
Conclusion:
Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

>>
Yes: Price in market would rise and hence current price difference would go down.
No:Strengthens/agrees with conc.

>>Arg is abt extracting uranum from sw.
>>Yeah, this was a trap for me.But i rejected it, using the variance analysis.
>>Not relevant.
>>Same as D.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2014, 06:05
Confused between A and C.

Picked A. What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2014, 17:08
A
Pre-thinking:
Argument focuses on costs in order for the commercial viability of obtaining uranium from sea to be available; however, if something else affected the supply of the uranium on land, uranium from the sea could be commercially viable

E: Wrong; distinction between freshwater and seawater is irrelevant
D: Wrong; supply of uranium on land could last for a very long time
C: Wrong; TRAP! This is already assumed in the argument!
B: Wrong; where uranium is used is irrelevant
A: Correct; bingo! this talks about supply for uranium on land
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 14:47
Answer A seems correct. I almost fell for C, but the question stem clearly states that "until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable." Answer C is quite literally repeating this portion of the stem. A, on the other hand, introduces a reason why the current method of obtaining uranium could be successful even if the cost structure remains the same. I wasn't overly sure about my answer, but it seems as though you seldom can be on the harder CR questions.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 08:08
Hey daagh,

Holded A while evaluating options and was about to select it but compared with C, A seemed a bit out of scope. The whole argument was limited to costs about seawater uranium. No matter the uranium in the land depletes, it shouldn't affect the commercial viability through seawater uranium extraction. This is my line of thinking. But as this is official question, I yearn to correct the line of thought w.r.t scope of an argument. Just couldn't believe how A could be the answer.

Kudos to Kudos :)

And yeah, definitely aim for a level of accuracy where managing time will not be a burden anymore.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines &nbs [#permalink] 29 Sep 2018, 08:08

Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from mines

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap