GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 09:49

LIVE NOW!

How to Quickly Solve GMAT Questions - Chat with ExamPAL. Join HERE!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 07:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:10) correct 67% (01:12) wrong based on 248 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.

A. Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.

B. Most people may not think of photographic processing being hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.

C. Most people may not think hazardously of photographic processing, but health problems can be caused when many of the chemicals are used in rooms that are not properly ventilated.

D. Most people may not think of photographic processing as being hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.

E. Photographic processing, while not thought of as being hazardous, can cause health problems when many of the chemicals used are done so in rooms with no proper ventilation.

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

Manager
Manager
G
Re: Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 07:53
Can we ever have an official question, which hinges only on idiom usage?

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 08:52
Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.[/u]

A. Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.(clear,correct)

B. Most people may not think of photographic processing being hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.(loser because of use of being)

C. Most people may not think hazardously of photographic processing, but health problems can be caused when many of the chemicals are used in rooms that are not properly ventilated.( Incorrect use of adverb,meaning change)

D. Most people may not think of photographic processing as being hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.(as being avoided,no strong reason)

E. Photographic processing, while not thought of as being hazardous, can cause health problems when many of the chemicals used are done so in rooms with no proper ventilation.(meaning change,lots of issues)

I will go with A.

Please correct if I am wrong

Thanks

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION

Intern
Intern
B
Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 12:03
Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.[/u]

A. Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.

B. Most people may not think of photographic processing being hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation.

C. Most people may not think hazardously of photographic processing, but health problems can be caused when many of the chemicals are used in rooms that are not properly ventilated.

D. Most people may not think of photographic processing as being hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation. (wordy, unidiomatic)

E. Photographic processing, while not thought of as being hazardous, can cause health problems when many of the chemicals used are done so in rooms with no proper ventilation.

I would say E.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Tuck '19
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 19:00
khosld64 wrote:

D. Most people may not think of photographic processing as being hazardous, but many of the chemicals used can cause health problems, especially if they are not used in rooms with proper ventilation. (wordy, unidiomatic)

I would say E.

Can you tell your POE?

dint get much by the highligted part
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 20:26
PeepalTree wrote:

It's rare to see an official question that hinges exclusively on idiom usage, though it does happen. The bigger issue is that there are tens of thousands of idioms in English, so memorizing all of them is not likely to be the most effective way to invest your time. More on idioms in this article.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 04:53
GMATNinja wrote:
PeepalTree wrote:

It's rare to see an official question that hinges exclusively on idiom usage, though it does happen. The bigger issue is that there are tens of thousands of idioms in English, so memorizing all of them is not likely to be the most effective way to invest your time. More on idioms in this article.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja !
thanks for the reply.
Yeah I have read this article of yours. That is why when I came across this question, I was wondering whether an official question would ever have this kind of decision point.

thanks!

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 02:27
I still do not understand why D is correct.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Nov 2018, 23:32
GMATNinja Need your help on this Question please.

Is the idiom "Think of X as" tested on this question.

Cheers!
SidSpeaks32

Originally posted by SidSpeaks32 on 05 Nov 2018, 10:50.
Last edited by SidSpeaks32 on 05 Nov 2018, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 22:22
Hi

Can anyone pls explain as to why D is correct and not A.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 23:37
dollytaneja51 wrote:
I still do not understand why D is correct.

Posted from my mobile device

dollytaneja51 I believe that you are clear on - Why the remaining options are incorrect.

Now, among the options A & D, i also could not understand why Option D is correct and why not Option A. However, i am also skeptical on the Idiom "Think of X as "
If so, this is what distinguishes Option A & Option D

Anyway Fingers crossed. Also request opinion from any of the experts on this forum

Cheers!
SidSpeaks32
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 23:40
surbhi1991 wrote:
Hi

surbhi1991 I think the idiom "Think of X as" is tested over here. I am not sure though. Request opinion of any of the expert to make the fundamentals clear

Cheers!
SidSpeaks32
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: Tuck '19
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 23:47
SidSpeaks32 wrote:
surbhi1991 wrote:
Hi

surbhi1991 I think the idiom "Think of X as" is tested over here. I am not sure though. Request opinion of any of the expert to make the fundamentals clear

Cheers!
SidSpeaks32

+1

even I agree to this!! I think its testing ..To Think of X as Y idiom
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous, &nbs [#permalink] 05 Nov 2018, 23:47

Most people may not think of photographic processing to be hazardous,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap