It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Music critic: Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 2662 [4], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Music critic: Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:37) correct 53% (01:55) wrong based on 569 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Critical Reasoning
Question no. 187

Music critic: Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music, decreasing the likelihood that those with real aptitude for such music will be performing it. Audiences who hear these performances will not appreciate classical music’s greatness and will thus decamp to other genres. So to maintain classical music’s current meager popularity, we must encourage more young musicians to enter the field.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the music critic’s reasoning?

(A) Musicians who choose to study classical music do so because they believe they have an aptitude for the music.

(B) Classical music’s current meager popularity is attributable to the profusion of other genres of music available to listeners.

(C) Most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances.

(D) It is possible to enjoy the music in a particular genre even when it is performed by musicians who are not ideally suited for that genre.

(E) The continued popularity of a given genre of music depends in part on the audiences being able to understand why that genre attained its original popularity.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 2662 [4], given: 220

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Music critic: Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 09:09
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Critical Reasoning
Question no. 187

Music critic: Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music, decreasing the likelihood that those with real aptitude for such music will be performing it. Audiences who hear these performances will not appreciate classical music’s greatness and will thus decamp to other genres. So to maintain classical music’s current meager popularity, we must encourage more young musicians to enter the field.

A. Musicians who choose to study classical music do so because they believe they have an aptitude for the music.
B. Classical music’s current meager popularity is attributable to the profusion of other genres of music available to listeners.
C. Most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances.
D. It is possible to enjoy the music in a particular genre even when it is performed by musicians who are not ideally suited for that genre.
E. The continued popularity of a given genre of music depends in part on the audiences being able to understand why that genre attained its original popularity.

I was torn between Option E and C and finally chose E ...But OA says C..
What is wrong with E ?
Can someone explain ...

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 198

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: Music critic: Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 15:35
Saurabh01IIM wrote:
My answer is E .. even I need explanaton for the same

E is wrong because it is out of scope, unclear and too general. Most weaken/strengthen OAs have superlatives and are specific to the prompt i.e if MOST people come to classical music by listening to old recordings, then the position that the genre will suffer because of low interest by the new generation of musicians is weakened.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 424

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2017, 19:03
This post received
KUDOS
Its C... since we need to weaken the argument and in order to do so, we need to show alternate way of maintaining the popularity of old music...C gives that alternate reason since people can listen to recordings and still maintain its popularity.

whereas E shows popularity depends on audiences too...for that live performances has to happen and for same young musicians need to learn that genre of music...its more of a strengthener i feel.

Pls let me know if the reasoning is correct and if you like my explanation, help me with Kudos :)

A. Musicians who choose to study classical music do so because they believe they have an aptitude for the music.
B. Classical music’s current meager popularity is attributable to the profusion of other genres of music available to listeners.
C. Most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances.
D. It is possible to enjoy the music in a particular genre even when it is performed by musicians who are not ideally suited for that genre.
E. The continued popularity of a given genre of music depends in part on the audiences being able to understand why that genre attained its original popularity. - E shows popularity depends on audiences too...for that live performances has to happen and for same young musicians need to learn that genre of music...its more of a strengthener i feel.

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 424

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1563 [3], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 18:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mihir0710 wrote:
What is wrong with E ?
Can someone explain ...

The critic's conclusion is that "we must encourage more young musicians to enter the field "in order to "maintain classical music’s current meager popularity". How does the author reach this conclusion?

• Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music, and, as a result, it is becoming less likely that those with real aptitude for classical music will be performing it. This implies that the quality of classical music performances is declining.
  • As the quality of the performances decreases, those performances will become less likely to showcase the greatness of classical music. Thus, audiences will become less likely to appreciate the greatness of classical music.
  • If audiences do not appreciate the greatness of classical music, they will chose to listen to other types of music.
  • To summarize: less qualified performers => weaker performances that do no showcase the greatness of classical music => audiences who do not appreciate the greatness of classical music => audiences moving away from classical music and opting to listen to other types of music instead

The author then concludes that "we must encourage more young musicians to enter the field" in order to "maintain classical music’s current meager popularity". Notice the word must; this implies that if we do NOT encourage more young musicians to enter the field, we will not be able to "maintain classical music’s current meager popularity".

We are asked, "Which of the following, if true, most weakens the music critic’s reasoning?"

Quote:

The critic's argument does not discuss why fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music. If fewer and fewer musicians believe that they have an aptitude for classical music, that might explain why fewer and fewer musicians are choosing to study classical music. Choice (A) doesn't seem to weaken the critic's reasoning, so (A) can be eliminated.

Quote:

The author's argument is not concerned with explaining classical music's current meager popularity. Rather, the author discusses what he/she believes must be done to maintain the current level of popularity. Choice (B) can be eliminated because it does not weaken the critic's reasoning.

Quote:

The critic reasons that audiences will move away from classical music as they listen to weaker performances of classical music. However, if most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances, it doesn't matter if the quality of the performances is in decline. Those people can still listen to old recordings and thus still appreciate the greatness of classical music. This breaks the critic's line of reasoning, so (C) is a solid choice.

Quote:

The author does not argue that it will not be possible to enjoy classical music performed by musicians who are not ideally suited for that genre. Instead, the author argues that classical performances by musicians who are not ideally suited for that genre will fail to convey the greatness of classical music and thus cause audiences to listen to other types of music. Choice (D) does not weaken the critic's reasoning, so it can be eliminated.

Quote:
E. The continued popularity of a given genre of music depends in part on the audiences being able to understand why that genre attained its original popularity.

The author does not claim that appreciation for the greatness of classical music is the ONLY necessary requirement for maintaining the current level of popularity. The popularity can certainly be affected by other factors, such as understanding why classical music attained its original popularity. Even if the continued popularity of classical music depends in part on the audiences being able to understand why classical music attained its original popularity, the popularity of classical music might still be in jeopardy unless more young musicians enter the field. (E) can be eliminated, and we're left with (C).

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1563 [3], given: 400

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 08:34
Cleaned bowled by this question .
Chose B
After seeing the explanation i see B is not affecting the argument at all.It only talks about the meagre popularity because of profusion of other genres.
But it no way tells that it will weaken the argument .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 198

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
mihir0710 wrote:
What is wrong with E ?
Can someone explain ...

The critic's conclusion is that "we must encourage more young musicians to enter the field "in order to "maintain classical music’s current meager popularity". How does the author reach this conclusion?

• Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music, and, as a result, it is becoming less likely that those with real aptitude for classical music will be performing it. This implies that the quality of classical music performances is declining.
  • As the quality of the performances decreases, those performances will become less likely to showcase the greatness of classical music. Thus, audiences will become less likely to appreciate the greatness of classical music.
  • If audiences do not appreciate the greatness of classical music, they will chose to listen to other types of music.
  • To summarize: less qualified performers => weaker performances that do no showcase the greatness of classical music => audiences who do not appreciate the greatness of classical music => audiences moving away from classical music and opting to listen to other types of music instead

The author then concludes that "we must encourage more young musicians to enter the field" in order to "maintain classical music’s current meager popularity". Notice the word must; this implies that if we do NOT encourage more young musicians to enter the field, we will not be able to "maintain classical music’s current meager popularity".

This part of the explanation made things crystal clear ..
Thank you @GMATNinja

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 198

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 01:02
@GMATNinja & @GMATNinjaTwo

Hi. I'm really confused with this question. I stuck with B&C, but I think B may be better.
Below is my reasoning.
I hope you can help me point out if I misunderstand anything, so that I can understand clearly the logic of this question and the answer choices.
The logic for this argument is:
(a)Fewer people study CM -> (b)fewer talents play & more non-talents play CM
-> (c)audience will not appreciate the music -> (d) switch to other music
Conclusion: To keep CM popular -> encourage more people to study CM
Assumption: if people switch to other music -> CM will not be popular
Which one weakens the argument?
Opt (B) Classical music???s current meager popularity is attributable to the profusion of other genres of music available to listeners.
This one says that profusion of other genres CAUSES Classical music???s current meager popularity (causal relationship).
So CM popularity is due to music genres profusion, not by the number of CM students or how those students perform. This one casts doubt on the assumption mentioned above, suggesting that since music genres profusion CAUSED CM popularity, in the future,(even if people switch to other music genres) as long as there???s a profusion of genres, CM will probably still be popular.
The conclusion is therefore weakened.

Option (C) Most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances.
The stimulus says (c)audience will not appreciate the music ???(d) switch to other music
This option says about people who appreciate CM, and the reasons why they do so.
So from the stimulus, if people listen to performances by not-gifted musicians, they will not appreciate CM; which means that if people appreciate CM, they don???t listen to performances by not-gifted musicians.
Opt (C) says most people appreciate CM b/c they listened to old recordings. Of course, old recordings are presumably made by talented CM musicians,
So C EITHER strengthens the argument by providing a specific example for a premise in the stimulus OR doesn???t do anything to the argument b/c it repeats the premise.
GMAT Ninja said:
???The critic reasons that audiences will move away from classical music as they listen to weaker performances of classical music. However, if most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances, it doesn't matter if the quality of the performances is in decline. Those people can still listen to old recordings and thus still appreciate the greatness of classical music. This breaks the critic's line of reasoning, so (C) is a solid choice.???
This option talks about ???people who appreciate classical music??? and the premise says ???Audiences who hear these performances will not appreciate classical music???s???. OK, so among people who appreciate CM, most appreciate because they listen to old recording; among people who DON???T appreciate, they don???t appreciate because of what? We don???t know. For the current status (when CM is still popular), most who appreciate b/c of old recordings (not b/c of the performances) So in the future, if the recordings still exist, then people will probably continue to appreciate CM irrespective of the performances quality, meaning that CM popularity will be maintained ??? breaks the conclusion.
So with C, there are confusing interpretations of the implied meaning.
And between B&C, it???s hard to choose which one is outright better!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1563 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 15:26
romeotc wrote:
GMATNinja & GMATNinjaTwo

Hi. I'm really confused with this question. I stuck with B&C, but I think B may be better.
Below is my reasoning.
I hope you can help me point out if I misunderstand anything, so that I can understand clearly the logic of this question and the answer choices.
The logic for this argument is:
(a)Fewer people study CM -> (b)fewer talents play & more non-talents play CM
-> (c)audience will not appreciate the music -> (d) switch to other music
Conclusion: To keep CM popular -> encourage more people to study CM
Assumption: if people switch to other music -> CM will not be popular
Which one weakens the argument?
Opt (B) Classical music???s current meager popularity is attributable to the profusion of other genres of music available to listeners.
This one says that profusion of other genres CAUSES Classical music???s current meager popularity (causal relationship).
So CM popularity is due to music genres profusion, not by the number of CM students or how those students perform. This one casts doubt on the assumption mentioned above, suggesting that since music genres profusion CAUSED CM popularity, in the future,(even if people switch to other music genres) as long as there???s a profusion of genres, CM will probably still be popular.

Option (C) Most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances.
The stimulus says (c)audience will not appreciate the music ???(d) switch to other music
This option says about people who appreciate CM, and the reasons why they do so.
So from the stimulus, if people listen to performances by not-gifted musicians, they will not appreciate CM; which means that if people appreciate CM, they don???t listen to performances by not-gifted musicians.
Opt (C) says most people appreciate CM b/c they listened to old recordings. Of course, old recordings are presumably made by talented CM musicians,
So C EITHER strengthens the argument by providing a specific example for a premise in the stimulus OR doesn???t do anything to the argument b/c it repeats the premise.
GMAT Ninja said:
???The critic reasons that audiences will move away from classical music as they listen to weaker performances of classical music. However, if most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances, it doesn't matter if the quality of the performances is in decline. Those people can still listen to old recordings and thus still appreciate the greatness of classical music. This breaks the critic's line of reasoning, so (C) is a solid choice.???
This option talks about ???people who appreciate classical music??? and the premise says ???Audiences who hear these performances will not appreciate classical music???s???. OK, so among people who appreciate CM, most appreciate because they listen to old recording; among people who DON???T appreciate, they don???t appreciate because of what? We don???t know. For the current status (when CM is still popular), most who appreciate b/c of old recordings (not b/c of the performances) So in the future, if the recordings still exist, then people will probably continue to appreciate CM irrespective of the performances quality, meaning that CM popularity will be maintained ??? breaks the conclusion.
So with C, there are confusing interpretations of the implied meaning.
And between B&C, it???s hard to choose which one is outright better!

Let's take a close look at your analysis for choice (B):

Quote:

Choice (B) explains the current MEAGER popularity. The profusion of other genres is not what MAKES classical music popular. Rather, the profusion of other genres LIMITS the popularity of classical music. The author is concerned with maintaining the current MEAGER level of popularity.

As for choice (C), you stated: "among people who DON'T appreciate, they don't appreciate because of what? We don't know."

This is true, but we don't care about the people who DON'T appreciate classical music. The author is only concerned with preventing the people who DO appreciate classic music from decamping to other genres.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1563 [0], given: 400

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 53

Schools: Insead Sept '17
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.7
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 08:20
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Critical Reasoning
Question no. 187

(A) Musicians who choose to study classical music do so because they believe they have an aptitude for the music.

(B) Classical music’s current meager popularity is attributable to the profusion of other genres of music available to listeners.

(C) Most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances.

(D) It is possible to enjoy the music in a particular genre even when it is performed by musicians who are not ideally suited for that genre.

(E) The continued popularity of a given genre of music depends in part on the audiences being able to understand why that genre attained its original popularity.

Just squeezed my brains as much as possible. We can all come to agree that it is between E and C: I feel the reason E should be eliminated is that of the " in part" bit. which means its just one other reason for people to maintain the popularity - then more people playing/learning is still needed - hence not a weakner.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 53

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [1], given: 532

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Music critic: Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
mihir0710 wrote:
What is wrong with E ?
Can someone explain ...

We are asked, "Which of the following, if true, most weakens the music critic’s reasoning?"

Quote:

The critic's argument does not discuss why fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music. If fewer and fewer musicians believe that they have an aptitude for classical music, that might explain why fewer and fewer musicians are choosing to study classical music. Choice (A) doesn't seem to weaken the critic's reasoning, so (A) can be eliminated.

Quote:

The author's argument is not concerned with explaining classical music's current meager popularity. Rather, the author discusses what he/she believes must be done to maintain the current level of popularity. Choice (B) can be eliminated because it does not weaken the critic's reasoning.

Quote:

The critic reasons that audiences will move away from classical music as they listen to weaker performances of classical music. However, if most people who appreciate classical music come to do so through old recordings rather than live performances, it doesn't matter if the quality of the performances is in decline. Those people can still listen to old recordings and thus still appreciate the greatness of classical music. This breaks the critic's line of reasoning, so (C) is a solid choice.

Quote:

The author does not argue that it will not be possible to enjoy classical music performed by musicians who are not ideally suited for that genre. Instead, the author argues that classical performances by musicians who are not ideally suited for that genre will fail to convey the greatness of classical music and thus cause audiences to listen to other types of music. Choice (D) does not weaken the critic's reasoning, so it can be eliminated.

Quote:

The author does not claim that appreciation for the greatness of classical music is the ONLY necessary requirement for maintaining the current level of popularity. The popularity can certainly be affected by other factors, such as understanding why classical music attained its original popularity. Even if the continued popularity of classical music depends in part on the audiences being able to understand why classical music attained its original popularity, the popularity of classical music might still be in jeopardy unless more young musicians enter the field. (E) can be eliminated, and we're left with (C).

Hi GMATNinja

How are you ?
Thanks for the explanation i have attempted this question multiple times but always got it wrong , but after reading your explanation i think i can answer this question type. :-)

Regards,
Arvind

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [1], given: 532

Music critic: Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music,   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2017, 06:52

Music critic: Fewer and fewer musicians are studying classical music,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap