It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 17:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My CAT scores are only getting worse, despite learning a lot new stuff

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
My CAT scores are only getting worse, despite learning a lot new stuff [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 05:29
Hello together,

this is my first post here. I'm really desperate right now:

I started learning for the GMAT on October 1st 2017.

To find a base level, I prepared for two days, solving all the GMATPrep Software Practice Questions and then did the “official” GMATPrep Test 1. I scored a 660. However, my quant score was “cheated” because I sometimes paused the exam and checked for the correct solution. Accidentally, I also marked these answers as my answers in some cases, so the Quant Score (43 (84%)) is not indicative. But I scored a 38 (84%) in Verbal without “cheating”.

I continued learning, focusing mainly on Quant. To be honest, my methodology was rather inefficient, as I just used Wileys Online Platform, solving the official OG questions in sets of 5 in timed mode. Afterwards, I checked all the answers and tried to remember everything important. Obviously not the best way....

One month later, on November 5th 2017, I tried the “official” GMATPrep Test 2 and got a score of 650 (Unfortunately I do not have the Verbal and Quant Scores, because I had to reinstall everything on my computer shortly after and forgot about the score). This score was OK, because I was aiming for 700+ and my exam was scheduled for December 21st 2017. Meaning: Almost 2 months left (Minus ca. 1 week for TOEFL preparation in between (I scored 111)).

Unfortunately, I continued to learn like before and did not write down anything….

Moving forward to mid December 2017, still focusing mainly on Quant, I did the Quant parts of 2 additional "offical" GMATPrep Tests:
A. 16th December 2017: “official” GMATPrep Test 3, scoring 47 (73%),
B. 17th December 2017: “official” GMATPrep Test 5, scoring again 47 (73%)

At this point I already knew that it could get very hard to score a 700+. Only a verbal score of 38 could safe me….

On December 21st 2017 I finally had my real GMAT: I scored 670. I was disappointed, but ultimately realized that this was no surprise…. However, I was incredibly angry at myself for not preparing more carefully. For example:
A. In Verbal, I did not even write down “A,B,C,D,E”s on the sheets, in order to cross them off while solving a question.
B. I had to read every single SC answer multiple times, because I never learned to use similarities to cross off multiple choices

After taking a day off, I scheduled another GMAT for 29th January 2018 and restarted learning:
A. I downloaded a list of hundreds of 700-800 quant questions (but sometimes easier ones), sorted by topic. I went through them all, writing down every hack or useful tip. Hence, I even went through many topics a second time, only to be sure that I knew everything essential now.
B. I did the same as in A for Sentence Correction
C. I practiced RC and CR, one of my biggest weaknesses, forever.

The ultimate result:
Every time I do a timed set of hard OG Questions, with questions I have never seen before, I get mostly 80% to 100% right. This is new and feels great!
At the same time, I started doing the Manhattan CAT Tests (I want to keep the remaining “official” GMATPrep Tests until the very end) and the results are devastating:
1. 11th January 2018: CAT1: 580 (Q39, V31)
2. 15th January 2018: CAT2: 630 (Q42, V34)
3. 19th January 2018: CAT3: 610 (Q44, V31)
4. 23th January 2018: CAT4: 580 (Q42, V28)

Can somebody please tell me what the **** is going on?
I honestly do not understand why:
A. My CAT Scores are significantly worse than my real GMAT Score of 670?
B. How can it be, that I get almost all OG hard questions right, but my CAT Score is still **** shit?

Please give me some help or advise! Really desperate right now! I was top 2% in my Bachelor’s degree but still feel extremely stupid right now.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Alex

Last edited by Komodor on 23 Jan 2018, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V40
GRE 1: 326 Q156 V159
GPA: 3.7
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge
Re: My CAT scores are only getting worse, despite learning a lot new stuff [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 09:11
It also happened to me. What worked for me is taking some time, and then come back again. Probably you were too stressed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: My CAT scores are only getting worse, despite learning a lot new stuff [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 09:37
Komodor wrote:
Hello together,

this is my first post here. I'm really desperate right now:

I started learning for the GMAT on October 1st 2017.

To find a base level, I prepared for two days, solving all the GMATPrep Software Practice Questions and then did the “official” GMATPrep Test 1. I scored a 660. However, my quant score was “cheated” because I sometimes paused the exam and checked for the correct solution. Accidentally, I also marked these answers as my answers in some cases, so the Quant Score (43 (84%)) is not indicative. But I scored a 38 (84%) in Verbal without “cheating”.

I continued learning, focusing mainly on Quant. To be honest, my methodology was rather inefficient, as I just used Wileys Online Platform, solving the official OG questions in sets of 5 in timed mode. Afterwards, I checked all the answers and tried to remember everything important. Obviously not the best way....

One month later, on November 5th 2017, I tried the “official” GMATPrep Test 2 and got a score of 650 (Unfortunately I do not have the Verbal and Quant Scores, because I had to reinstall everything on my computer shortly after and forgot about the score). This score was OK, because I was aiming for 700+ and my exam was scheduled for December 21st 2017. Meaning: Almost 2 months left (Minus ca. 1 week for TOEFL preparation in between (I scored 111)).

Unfortunately, I continued to learn like before and did not write down anything….

Moving forward to mid December 2017, still focusing mainly on Quant, I did the Quant parts of 2 additional "offical" GMATPrep Tests:
A. 16th December 2017: “official” GMATPrep Test 3, scoring 47 (73%),
B. 17th December 2017: “official” GMATPrep Test 5, scoring again 47 (73%)

At this point I already knew that it could get very hard to score a 700+. Only a verbal score of 38 could safe me….

On December 21st 2017 I finally had my real GMAT: I scored 670. I was disappointed, but ultimately realized that this was no surprise…. However, I was incredibly angry at myself for not preparing more carefully. For example:
A. In Verbal, I did not even write down “A,B,C,D,E”s on the sheets, in order to cross them off during solving a question.
B. I had to read every single SC answer multiple times, because I never learned to use similarities to cross off multiple choices

After taking a day off, I scheduled another GMAT for 29th January 2018 and restarted learning:
A. I downloaded a list of hundreds of 700-800 quant questions (but sometimes easier ones), sorted by topic. I went through them all, writing down every hack or useful tip. Hence, I even went through many topics a second time, only to be sure that I knew everything essential now.
B. I did the same as in A for Sentence Correction
C. I practiced RC and CR, one of my biggest weaknesses, forever.

The ultimate result:
Every time I do a timed set of hard OG Questions, with questions I have never seen before, I get mostly 80% to 100% right. This is new and feels great!
At the same time, I started doing the Manhattan CAT Tests (I want to keep the remaining “official” GMATPrep Tests until the very end) and the results are devastating:
1. 11th January 2018: CAT1: 580 (Q39, V31)
2. 15th January 2018: CAT2: 630 (Q42, V34)
3. 19th January 2018: CAT3: 610 (Q44, V31)
4. 23th January 2018: CAT4: 580 (Q42, V28)

Can somebody please tell me what the **** is going on?
I honestly do not understand why:
A. My CAT Scores are significantly worse than my real GMAT Score of 670?
B. How can it be, that I get almost all OG hard questions right, but my CAT Score is still **** shit?

Please give me some help or advise! Really desperate right now! I was top 2% in my Bachelor’s degree but still feel extremely stupid right now.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Alex

Hi
Firstly, I would say that the Gmatprep tests are the best approximation to your actual Gmat test. Other tests may not be very accurate, since a lot of parameters go in the test that simulating everything may not be possible. Normally, the MGMAT tests are harder than the actual test, especially the Quant section. So, don't worry too much about it. But I would suggest to go through each and every question of the test and analyze why you made a mistake incase you got it incorrect or check if there is an easier way to solve a question, incase you took a long time to solve a question. Similarly check for the questions you got wrong due to a silly mistake. These are the low hanging fruits and if you can improve on these aspects, it will immediately boost up your score. Lastly appear for a Gmat prep test for a correct assessment.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
My CAT scores are only getting worse, despite learning a lot new stuff [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 09:47
Hey all!

Thanks for the replies!

It worked great to take a step back and also not to care about the Manhattan CAT Scores

I took my GMAT yesterday:

Sadly, I had a blackout at Quant. I needed like 5 Minutes (!) for the first question :/ Overall, the questions were extremely hard and I had to guess the last 10 questions. All the time during the test I had to think about my terrible performance in quant. Verbal went okay...

I got a Q46, which is even below the quant scores I got in my GMATPrep Tests and in my last real GMAT, even though I learned quant like stupid for the past month. However, I performed quite good in verbal with V39. Ultimately, I got a 690. Kind of sad that my blackout cost me a 700+ score...

Will try again next month...
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 09:53
Missed by a whisker... Are you ordering ESR? How were your gmat prep verbal scores? Did I find gmat prep verbal more difficult than real exam? Or it was vice versa?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 08:17
Sorry for the late reply.

Ordered ESR for both

3 days before my real exam i took GMATPrep Exam 6 and got a Q48 and V38.

I never noticed any difference in difficulty between GMATPrep Exams and the real GMAT.

Posted from my mobile device
DS Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2018, 23:41
Hi

For Quant, maybe you could try GMAT club tests. For people who are bordering on 46/47 in quant and want to reach near 50, its a general opinion that GMAT club tests are helpful to those people.
D
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 10:48
Komodor wrote:
Sorry for the late reply.

Ordered ESR for both

3 days before my real exam i took GMATPrep Exam 6 and got a Q48 and V38.

I never noticed any difference in difficulty between GMATPrep Exams and the real GMAT.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Komodor,

In case you are looking for experts' comments on the ESR, then you may attach them on this post itself or here - https://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html . You may remove the personal such as name and ID information from the report before uploading.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2018, 14:58
amanvermagmat wrote:
Hi

For Quant, maybe you could try GMAT club tests. For people who are bordering on 46/47 in quant and want to reach near 50, its a general opinion that GMAT club tests are helpful to those people.

Hey, yeah thanks. Already got the GMAT club test questions and they are indeed great!
Re: My CAT scores are only getting worse, despite learning a lot new stuff   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2018, 14:58

My CAT scores are only getting worse, despite learning a lot new stuff

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap