Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [12]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [2]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: My path to 780 (51q 46v) and a question [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations fsant8824! That's a wicked score!

Thank you for the tips! Teaching is a great one - I have never learned as much as trying to teach someone - very true!
What was your starting point? What was your diagnostic/first CAT score? I suspect quite high since I see you mostly focused on questions rather than actual background/fundamental math/grammar/logic rules & strategies.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [2]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
fsant8824 780!!! That's Wow...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for such a detailed debrief and description!

I am certain you have helped out a lot of people with sharing your process and thoughts that went into achieving such a great score!

All the best for the challenges ahead,
Chris

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
bb Thank you! And yes, teaching helps us articulate some of the things we take for granted, and usually leads to a deeper understanding. My first Practice test was an official one. I scored a 740. After that I scored 760, 770, 780, 780, 780. I REALLY wanted an 800, but it wasn't in the cards this time. Maybe I'll try again after my LSAT!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [1]
Given Kudos: 1283
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats fsant8824. This is a great score and motivation to folks like me still studying for the exam. Just out of curiosity, can you mention the materials you bought and didn't use? Thanks and best wishes!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
funsogu I purchased Kaplan 800, Veritas question banks, and some other Sentence correction e-books I never got around to reading.

houston1980 I don't have the ESR, sorry. I might purchase it if I plan to take it again for the 800, though
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
fsant8824 wrote:
Hello friends, first and foremost let me thank you all for participating in and contributing to this wonderful forum. I can imagine that, like me, thousands of others have found community and encouragement on this site. Although I have not posted before, and only just recently made an account, I have been using gmatclub as a resource since I decided to sit for the GMAT. I am writing now, over a month after the date of my exam, because it's just now that I am feeling proud of what I accomplished, and how I accomplished it.

Congrats mate. I'm sure members will find inspiration from such a performance. Good luck for the road ahead.

You still made a jump of 40 points from your first mock to the final test and in the high scoring league, that's quite significant. Do share your feedback about the materials you used for preparation. What did you find most useful?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nishantd88 I found the OG to be most useful. The questions were very consistent in style and flavor. The quant questions were interesting yet straightforward. This is important because I am easily distracted by cool math stuff, some questions from MPrep and Math Revolution got my mind working creatively toward more general, more abstract, proof-y math things and I didn't get much done. For verbal I don't remember liking much else, although I didn't do as much prep as I should have for that section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations on the near perfect score!! Good luck with LSAT as well!

I could easily relate to all the tips in your debrief! I think no one has mentioned some of these before.

Would you mind elaborating on point 5? How did you determine what the answer should look like and work backward? Did you pick up some strategies from some prep material?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
nkin That's a good question. The message in point five is to self-diagnose, going beyond asking "why did I get this wrong" to asking "why was this difficult for me in the first place" or "why is this kind of problem always tough for me". In my case, my mind would often "reset" while reading certain word problems, and I realized that instead of constructing the problem linearly as it would read on screen, I could start at the answer (presented in variable terms) and work backward with the info presented in the problem. I don't know how helpful that specific point can be to others, as it requires a certain amount of intuition, but it changed everything for me.

I really only did self-prep, but I did pick up an organizational tool for data sufficiency from Manhattan Prep. Using a T chart to restate the question and keep the 2 statements separate was helpful visually and helped my accuracy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Send PM
Congratulations!! fantastic score!

Can you please elaborate on your test day experience?
- selection of sections,
- break strategy, (any specific foods you ate)
- test day revision, if any,
- the time slot you took the test,
- was the time slot same as the one you used for practice tests?
- your sleep the night before the test
- Did you spend more than average time on any questions?
- Verbal timing strategy, especially to handle Long RC & tougher CR questions
- From which sections were the tough questions, on the actual test.

Appreciate your posting a detailed debrief, great tips there!

Thanks,
GyM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyMrAT I'd be happy to!

-I took the quant first, followed by the verbal, IR, and essay
-Coconut water and trail mix (almonds, dark chocolate, blueberries)
-I reviewed some questions I had flagged throughout the course of my prep a couple of hours before the test
-3 pm, most practice tests I took around Noon/1pm
-I didn't sleep very well, to be honest, I was really wired and couldn't wait for the test
-I spent almost 7 minutes on a single PS word problem. It wasn't hard I just froze up, and reverted to some bad habits. I was also slow going through RC on the actual test when compared to my prep. I still finished the verbal part with 20ish minutes to spare.
-I never really made any mistakes on CR or RC in my prep (I was at >99% accuracy), SC was my weakness (still is). I didn't do anything special for RC or CR outside of practice questions.
-I handled one tough sequences/number properties PS question, one tough geometry DS question, but the quant section was pretty easy all things considered. Still only finished with 3-4 mins to spare. SC felt harder overall.

I got an 8 on the IR section without any prep at all, I can't offer any insight there. I didn't even do the IR questions on the OG or the practice tests. The questions just felt really straightforward/easy. Didn't prep for the essay either. Trying to master the quant and verbal was more than enough to keep me busy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks! This is really helpful.

Got a couple of more questions:

1) Any specific study strategy you used for improving at SC? Or in general how did you prep for SC & steps you took to improve at SC?

2) Do you follow a set process for CR?, if yes then would you please elaborate the process

Really appreciate you taking the time out to answer the questions.

I am sure you are busy preparing your applications.

All the Best!!

Thanks,
GyM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
My path to 780 (51q 46v) and a question [#permalink]
Kudos
fsant8824
Congrats for such a great score!!
I want to know about the strategy to tackle SC.
It would be helpful if you can share how you prepared for SC.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
GyMrAT Bismarck SC was and still is a challenge for me. I have a good ear for the 600-700 level questions, but my brain reads through the sentences too quickly and I miss certain grammatical inconsistencies at the 700+ level. I can't slow my brain down, and I have a hard time studying grammar and reading through SC books (doesn't interest me at all, honestly). I had to change my approach. I was told that the GMAT is testing you on meaning above all else. That really helped some things click for me. I focused primarily on meaning after that. I would try to extract the meaning of the sentence and eliminate any options that could be interpreted in a different way (playing devil's advocate against the choices). I would then select the choice that BEST preserved the meaning, and didn't think about grammar too actively. I then went through as many practice questions as I could (about 20-30 per study day). I think if I want an 800 I will need to refine my strategy somehow, though.

As for CR, I wish I could say what I did. I followed no procedure. I just feel like I understand what the GMAT wants in CR. I can find ways to make several of the answer choices work for any given CR problem, but I have a feel for what the test-makers want and I ignore the other possibilities. I would say do everything in your power to REALLY understand and appreciate why the "correct" answer is correct, and let that inform your selection process. Little by little you'll be inside the test-makers' heads and know what they want. Developing that sense is more important than any time-consuming procedure. A little meta-cognition can go a long way, I've always found.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
My path to 780 (51q 46v) and a question [#permalink]
The LSAT.... essentially a GMAT for less worldy folks. IT contains Critical Reasoning questions of a similar format and structure as GMAT, but with a slightly more abstract flavour. So the logic models in play for GMAT are on the LSAT too, but with less of the real-world context. Also, there is Reading Comprehension, and finally there are logic games. For these, given your GMAT score, you'll just need to practice a few sets to get the hang of the procedures and some of the major variations. Enjoy; it's a lovely next step.

fsant8824 wrote:
I am planning to take the LSAT next, and cannot seem to find a place (like this one) to help me plan my preparation. Can any of you fine people point me in the right direction?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Send PM
fsant8824 wrote:
GyMrAT Bismarck SC was and still is a challenge for me. I have a good ear for the 600-700 level questions, but my brain reads through the sentences too quickly and I miss certain grammatical inconsistencies at the 700+ level. I can't slow my brain down, and I have a hard time studying grammar and reading through SC books (doesn't interest me at all, honestly). I had to change my approach. I was told that the GMAT is testing you on meaning above all else. That really helped some things click for me. I focused primarily on meaning after that. I would try to extract the meaning of the sentence and eliminate any options that could be interpreted in a different way (playing devil's advocate against the choices). I would then select the choice that BEST preserved the meaning, and didn't think about grammar too actively. I then went through as many practice questions as I could (about 20-30 per study day). I think if I want an 800 I will need to refine my strategy somehow, though.

As for CR, I wish I could say what I did. I followed no procedure. I just feel like I understand what the GMAT wants in CR. I can find ways to make several of the answer choices work for any given CR problem, but I have a feel for what the test-makers want and I ignore the other possibilities. I would say do everything in your power to REALLY understand and appreciate why the "correct" answer is correct, and let that inform your selection process. Little by little you'll be inside the test-makers' heads and know what they want. Developing that sense is more important than any time-consuming procedure. A little meta-cognition can go a long way, I've always found.

Thanks!! Appreciate your insights!!

Cheers
GyM
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts