GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 22:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Need advice have a score of 700 and a experience of 11 Years

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Need advice have a score of 700 and a experience of 11 Years   [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 04:45
I have a score of 700 and 11 years experience in IT industry.Have been advised by many that my experience would work to my disadvantage.Would need guidance from the experts on this forum if I do really stand a chance.The colleges that I am looking at are

ISB
IIM'S

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Need advice have a score of 700 and a experience of 11 Years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 05:18
Hello abhi1484

Though your work ex in number of years is slightly on the higher side it will not be a disadvantage if you can showcase great career progression and achievements in these 11 years.
You will of course need to show more maturity than an average applicant.
Remember the years is ultimatley just one part of the application and you will need to be strong on all of the admission factors mentioned here.
My concern is that of the primary 4 factors - Acads (good bu not stellar GMAT- below the school's average) and Diversity (due to Indian IT Male tag)- these 2 factors are looking a bit weak.
If you can compensate these by showcasing quality in your 11 years of work ex, realistic career goals that absolutely fit your profile and the school and can also highlight your diversity factors (through extracurricular) then you may stand a fighting chance.
Should you feel the need to discuss your profile in detail, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

abhi1484 wrote:
I have a score of 700 and 11 years experience in IT industry.Have been advised by many that my experience would work to my disadvantage.Would need guidance from the experts on this forum if I do really stand a chance.The colleges that I am looking at are

ISB
IIM'S

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Admission Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 06:09
abhi1484 wrote:

ISB
IIM'S

Hi Abhi,

With your professional achievements and career progress being stellar, the GMAT score will be considered okay. No extra points for it, but its not bad either.

For a guy with your level of work experience, professional factors take center stage. How competitive is your work experience? What impact have you made on your organization(s)? how have you met project milestones? What about your leadership skills? Why do you want an MBA NOW? what career goals have you envisioned for yourself? why do they require an MBA?

These are the important questions to answer. And your chances for an interview invite are as good as anyone's so long as you present a clear and coherent story to answer these questions.

Regarding the IIMs, apply to IIMA, C and L. Apply to ISB, although the b-school has been toning down its senior candidates' numbers over the past two years. But you will know only when you try.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 23:50
abhi1484 wrote:

ISB
IIM'S

Hello abhi1484,

To be honest, yes, your experience is on the higher side and schools such as ISB have started preferring candidates with slightly lower work experience. Does that mean you don't stand a chance or you should not try, definitely not! :-) You must apply!

While you hail from an overrepresented pool of IT applicants, with a GMAT score that is not bad but not stellar either, we are confident you will be able to showcase a steep career progression with achievements and learnings and this is what a business school will value more than anything else. Of course, school evaluate profiles holistically so the presence of extra-curricular involvements will hold weightage as well. However, since you have not shared details, we cannot really comment on that front for now.

The essays and the projection of your career goals are what hold maximum importance for you right now. Ensure that the goals you put forth are in sync with your existing profile; explain your need for an MBA at this point in your career and how the same will be a step forward towards your goals. If you are able to do this in a convincing manner, you will have a good chance of receiving an interview call :-)

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, please do reach out.

Good Luck!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

VP
VP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 01:21
Top Contributor
abhi1484 wrote:

ISB
IIM'S

Hi Abhi1484

11 years is actually at the higher end of the curve, and yes, you will certainly be in a minority when applying to the schools you have listed. However, not all schools are the same. IIMA, for instance, regularly accepts people with even 15 years of experience into the PGPX program. Similarly, while the IIMB EPGP has an average of 7.1 years for experience, the highest is 12.2. At ISB, there are a few people with 11+ years of experience too.

As your GMAT is fine for your level of experience, you should focus on building a case for an MBA at this stage of your career, and how you would fit with these schools. You could also emphasize how your higher work experience could actually be an asset for the class.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Need advice have a score of 700 and a experience of 11 Years &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jul 2018, 01:21

Need advice have a score of 700 and a experience of 11 Years

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap