It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 12:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help in defining short term and long term career goals

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61
Need help in defining short term and long term career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 02:05
Hi,

I'm having trouble defining my short term and long term goals. I'm an engineering grad from IIT (top most college in India), an edtech entrepreunr having run a startup in the field for 2 years before closing it down, and currently a Product Manager at an ecommerce startup (1 year 6 months).

My short term goal is to be a Product Manager at one of the top education technology startups in the US. My long term goal is to start up again in the education industry after gaining relevant experience about the industry as well as about Product development.

Here's the problem: Since edtech is a very niche field, hardly any edtech companies recruit from the schools I'm applying to. In fact, I have already checked the employment reports for the B-schools (all Top 15) that I'm applying to and none of the education technology firms/startups recruit from the schools.

Hence, I am thinking of tweaking my short term goal to 'Product Manager at an ecommerce firm (Amazon)', because, well, Amazon visits and recruits heavily from the top-15. I can then spin my story as to how I will learn about Product development at Amazon and after gaining experience move into education technology and eventually startup a company.

Does this change in short term goals make sense? Or should I go with the earlier one? Should I mention a company (some MBA applications specifically ask for company name) that doesn't recruit from the B-school I'm applying to in my short term goal? Should I avoid mentioning that in my essays?

Please advise,

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 53

Re: Need help in defining short term and long term career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 22:33
Pillarsofcreation wrote:
Hi,

I'm having trouble defining my short term and long term goals. I'm an engineering grad from IIT (top most college in India), an edtech entrepreunr having run a startup in the field for 2 years before closing it down, and currently a Product Manager at an ecommerce startup (1 year 6 months).

My short term goal is to be a Product Manager at one of the top education technology startups in the US. My long term goal is to start up again in the education industry after gaining relevant experience about the industry as well as about Product development.

Here's the problem: Since edtech is a very niche field, hardly any edtech companies recruit from the schools I'm applying to. In fact, I have already checked the employment reports for the B-schools (all Top 15) that I'm applying to and none of the education technology firms/startups recruit from the schools.

Hence, I am thinking of tweaking my short term goal to 'Product Manager at an ecommerce firm (Amazon)', because, well, Amazon visits and recruits heavily from the top-15. I can then spin my story as to how I will learn about Product development at Amazon and after gaining experience move into education technology and eventually startup a company.

Does this change in short term goals make sense? Or should I go with the earlier one? Should I mention a company (some MBA applications specifically ask for company name) that doesn't recruit from the B-school I'm applying to in my short term goal? Should I avoid mentioning that in my essays?

Please advise,

Thanks!

I'd go with going into product management with a broader range of companies not only edutech. Its expected of you to have clear focussed goals. But at the same time, if you sound very niche, something that the b-school does not have resources for, then it's likely to be a concern for them.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 53

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Re: Need help in defining short term and long term career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 01:21
Depending on the strength of your story - both could make sense.

If you are really passionate about edtech, and can demonstrate passion in your essays, then you should continue to go forward in that direction. If that was just something you tried, because you saw an opportunity there, then maybe that is not your passion. In other words - were you a Steve Jobs kind of entrepreneur (passionate about what he invested his life into) or a Richard Branson kind of entrepreneur (opportunity seeking). If the former, continue with edtech - talk about how you will startup regardless of recruitment. If the latter, then go with e-commerce.

Regards,
Karthik

Pillarsofcreation wrote:
Hi,

Please advise,

Thanks!

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

We are an India based MBA admissions consulting firm. We've been helping Indian MBA applicants (students belonging to the most competitive MBA admissions pool) since 2013. Several of our students study at top 20 schools in the US including Kellogg, MIT, Yale, Ross and Darden, top European schools including London Business School and Oxford, top Canadian schools like Rotman and top Asian schools like ISB and NUS. Our students have won over USD 2.1 Million in scholarships over the last 3 admissions years.

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Need help in defining short term and long term career goals   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 01:21

Need help in defining short term and long term career goals

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap