Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 12:19 It is currently 14 May 2024, 12:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q170 V161
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q170 V161
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Negotiate Scholarship between a top-10 and a top-15 B School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ArajDalal:

Our pleasure.

It is extremely unlikely that these schools will care much about your security deposit elsewhere. They will say that is the sunk cost you incurred by reserving your spot at another program, if they even acknowledge it.

The only thing you can do is ask if they will reconsider your scholarship decision and to reiterate your interest in accepting an offer from their program. You presumably already stated your career goals in social impact consulting so they are aware of the lower-than-average starting pay, though bear in mind, they can't stop you from pursuing a more lucrative career.

Unfortunately, this is a more detailed way of saying you don't have too many options without any serious leverage. In our experience, the best way to get scholarship money is to apply (and be accepted) to lower ranked programs. Sometimes, a higher-ranked school will match scholarship money from a peer institution.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
ArajDalal wrote:
Hi All,

I have two offers from a top-10 and a top-15 B School in the US. I received 0 scholarships from both the schools because I have a very traditional pathway (Male, Indian, Engineer, Consultant). I have already deposited $7k in another b-school (non-US school but good global ranking). I am tempted to go to the top-10 B-school because it is much more aligned with my career. However, the cost of attendance is slightly high to my capacity.

My reasons for scholarship are as follows:
1. My deposit of $7k in another school.
2. I am planning to go into social impact consulting which is not a paying job and extremely difficult for international students - so I have to put in a lot of effort to pursue it rather than go for traditional consulting or tech roles.
3. I have no relative in US - so higher interest rates as well. (no guarantor)

I would humbly request you all to help me out on this issue and share your thoughts on the reasons I have mentioned above. Do you think this will suffice? If not, what else could I do? Admissionado Squareoneprep ARINGO mbaMission ApplicantLab AvantiPrep PersonalMBACoach TheMBAExchange StratusPrepMBAandBeyond ExpertsGlobal

Thank you,

Hello ArajDalal,

Congratulations on the admits! :-)

Talking about the deposit will not help.

You could simply write to them in a a humble manner discussing:
-any profile improvements
-Suggest need for scholarship - limited family funding, reliance on loans, etc
-without naming the schools, mentioning that you have some top 10/top 15 admits but the school in question is your first choice (and the scholarship will help reduce the burden and perform better)

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot