It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Over the last 150 years, large stretches of salmon habitat have been e

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 49

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Over the last 150 years, large stretches of salmon habitat have been e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 00:04
6 min My answers are E D B E . Can you explain me the answer for 12th

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Over the last 150 years, large stretches of salmon habitat have been e [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 00:13
Nightmare007 wrote:

I think 12th question answer should be C instead of E if we think about the lines in last paragraph .

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 05:50
Nightmare007 wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:

I think 12th question answer should be C instead of E if we think about the lines in last paragraph .

6 Mins :o that's awesome!! To read the paragraph itself it took 6 mins for me :P Any tips sir..

I took 12 minutes, all correct.. Yes, last one should be C.

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 62 [2], given: 49

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
RMD007 wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:
Nightmare007 wrote:

6 Mins :o that's awesome!! To read the paragraph itself it took 6 mins for me :P Any tips sir..

I took 12 minutes, all correct.. Yes, last one should be C.

- Read question first - Ignore all the relative clauses , dependent clauses and Examples ; Make structure words exception . Map the paragraph in maximum 4 - 5 words .
General question - guess first
Detail question - use map to come to parah and check
Well i guess this is what a GMAT preparing guy should do. Rather than understanding whole parah and answering form memory.
Think RC is BIG CR question, where background info plays no role.

Kudos [?]: 62 [2], given: 49

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 11:40
Nightmare007 wrote:
- Read question first - Ignore all the relative clauses , dependent clauses and Examples ; Make structure words exception . Map the paragraph in maximum 4 - 5 words .
General question - guess first
Detail question - use map to come to parah and check
Well i guess this is what a GMAT preparing guy should do. Rather than understanding whole parah and answering form memory.
Think RC is BIG CR question, where background info plays no role.

Cool! I will implement and will see if I get better results... Kudos! :)

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 07:31
normally, there are 3 wrong answer which are clear because all of long phrase is incorrect

when there are 2 choices left, the wrong choice has only ONE WORD WRONG.

choice B and C are close. choice b has ONE WORD WRONG which is "one stream".

so B is wrong

when facing two closes answers, find out ONE WORD WRONG.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 11:47
can anyone please explain why the answer for question 6 is d? I think it should be E.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 19:46
Please answer all the six questions with explanations.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 19:48
Sir
How the reveal option opens.
Actually i m not getting solution here. Please guide i m new to all this

Sent from my CPH1701 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 483

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 05:32
mikemcgarry wrote:
tae808 wrote:
Is the word "stream" in this passage and questions refer to habitat?
stream=habitat?
Please comment!!

Dear tae808,

I'm happy to respond my friend. :-)

A "habitat" is the environment in which a living thing is designed to live, the place where it naturally thrives. For a deer, the habitat is a forest. For a giraffe, the habitat is the Serengeti. For a salmon, the habitat, for at least part of its life cycle, is a stream. Many things live in a healthy stream, so for these animals, it is a habitat. Does this make sense?

Mike

Dear Mike,
Hope you can help with this question

6. Which of the following does the author mention as support for the view that environmental disturbances caused by human activity could increase straying rates?

(A) The existence of salmon populations in rivers where the elimination of salmon habitat by human activity had previously made the fish extinct
(B) The results of studies measuring the impact on straying rates of habitat loss caused by human activity
(C) The potential for disturbances in one environment to cause the introduction of novel genes into salmon populations in neighboring areas
(D) The weaknesses in the view that the extinction of entire salmon populations is the only mechanism by which human destruction of salmon habitat reduces genetic diversity in salmon
(E) The absence of any reason for believing that disturbances brought about by human activitiy would differ in their effects from comparable disturbances brought about by natural causes

I cannot find any support for option D.
No where in the passage does it say or imply " elimination of entire salmon population is the only way that leads to reduction in genetic diversity"

So the question of weakness in this view does not arise.

I thought answer for this question should be E.

May be I am missing something. Thanks for your help.

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 483

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
stne wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
tae808 wrote:
Is the word "stream" in this passage and questions refer to habitat?
stream=habitat?
Please comment!!

Dear tae808,

I'm happy to respond my friend. :-)

A "habitat" is the environment in which a living thing is designed to live, the place where it naturally thrives. For a deer, the habitat is a forest. For a giraffe, the habitat is the Serengeti. For a salmon, the habitat, for at least part of its life cycle, is a stream. Many things live in a healthy stream, so for these animals, it is a habitat. Does this make sense?

Mike

Dear Mike,
Hope you can help with this question

6. Which of the following does the author mention as support for the view that environmental disturbances caused by human activity could increase straying rates?

(A) The existence of salmon populations in rivers where the elimination of salmon habitat by human activity had previously made the fish extinct
(B) The results of studies measuring the impact on straying rates of habitat loss caused by human activity
(C) The potential for disturbances in one environment to cause the introduction of novel genes into salmon populations in neighboring areas
(D) The weaknesses in the view that the extinction of entire salmon populations is the only mechanism by which human destruction of salmon habitat reduces genetic diversity in salmon
(E) The absence of any reason for believing that disturbances brought about by human activitiy would differ in their effects from comparable disturbances brought about by natural causes

No where in the passage does it say or imply " elimination of entire salmon population is the only way that leads to reduction in genetic diversity"

May be I am missing something. Thanks for your help.

I'm also having trouble with this one. This is probably wrong but this is the only way I can make the OA fit.

what are the weaknesses mentioned?

There is only one as far as I can tell and that is by introducing another possible mechanism by which human destruction of Salmon habitat could reduce genetic diversity. Severe disturbances caused by natural disasters have led to an increase in straying which could limit genetic diversity if as indicated the fish that stray interbreed with the existing stock to such a degree that any local adaptations that are present become diluted. It then goes on to say that environmental disturbances caused by human destruction would likely have the same effect (the reason for the confusion with E.)

So what supports the idea that environmental disturbances caused by human activity could increase straying rates? (D) The fact that environmental disturbances caused by natural disasters have lead to an increase in straying.

(E) The absence of any reason for believing that disturbances brought about by human activity would differ in their effects from comparable disturbances brought about by natural causes

My thinking is that E. might need to be combined with D. for it to be in support and so not correct.

I really hope one of the experts could explain the logic behind this question.

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 13

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 01:19
Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on question 6. I posted my reasoning. Please also let me know if you think question 6 is a good gmat question, something I'm likely to see.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1024

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 21:52

May be I am missing something. Thanks for your help.[/quote]

I'm also having trouble with this one. This is probably wrong but this is the only way I can make the OA fit.

what are the weaknesses mentioned?

There is only one as far as I can tell and that is by introducing another possible mechanism by which human destruction of Salmon habitat could reduce genetic diversity. Severe disturbances caused by natural disasters have led to an increase in straying which could limit genetic diversity if as indicated the fish that stray interbreed with the existing stock to such a degree that any local adaptations that are present become diluted. It then goes on to say that environmental disturbances caused by human destruction would likely have the same effect (the reason for the confusion with E.)

So what supports the idea that environmental disturbances caused by human activity could increase straying rates? (D) The fact that environmental disturbances caused by natural disasters have lead to an increase in straying.

(E) The absence of any reason for believing that disturbances brought about by human activity would differ in their effects from comparable disturbances brought about by natural causes

My thinking is that E. might need to be combined with D. for it to be in support and so not correct.

I really hope one of the experts could explain the logic behind this question.[/quote]

E is clearly wrong because disturbances brought by human activity is indeed different from disturbances by natural causes,
D is correct because D says that the following reasoning is wrong: the disturbances by human activity is the only mechanism that eliminates entire population of the fish (in the first paragraph)
C is the trap that I still do not fully understand

VP
VP
S

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 21:54
I have problem with the question 6, can you help me, thank you

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 19:11

Hi mikemcgarry ,

Can you please help in explaining 6th one.I chose my answer as E but the answer is D.Please help

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 48

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 09:08
The OA to question #6 appears to be incorrect. A report has been submitted to confirm/update the original post.

Thanks for your replies!

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 04:49
hello experts,

can you explain the answer for this question?

4. The author mentions the “aftermath of the Mount Saint Helens eruption” most likely in order to

(A) provide an example of the process that allows the repopulation of rivers whose indigenous salmon population has become extinct
(B) indicate the extent to which the disturbance of salmon habitat by human activity in one stream might affect the genetic structure of salmon populations elsewhere
(C) provide a standard of comparison against which the impact of human activity on the gene flow among salmon populations should be measured
(D) show how salmons’ homing instinct can be impaired as a result of severe environmental degradation of their natal streams
(E) show why straying rates in salmon populations remain generally low except when spawning streams suffer severe environmental disturbance

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 12:35
Hi Guys,

I found this passage extremely difficult.... Not able to eliminate answer choices for 4 out of 6 questions... And I took almost 14 mintutes of 6 question.

My worry is; what should be a strategy if this passage pops up in actual exam?

Experts : Please suggest.. bb mikemcgarry

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 48

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
pratik1709 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I found this passage extremely difficult.... Not able to eliminate answer choices for 4 out of 6 questions... And I took almost 14 mintutes of 6 question.

Check out the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners for some tips: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... l#p1857560

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 48

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 13:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
pratik1709 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Check out the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners for some tips: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... l#p1857560

Thank you sir for this article.

Luckily I am following almost same strategy. Only issue is with RC initial passage reading. I take almost 4 minutes for easy passage and 4.5/5 minutes of difficult one such as this.

not sure If i can improve onto this .. If you can suggest your view here.

Re: Over the last 150 years, large stretches of salmon habitat have been e   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 13:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 48 posts ] 

Over the last 150 years, large stretches of salmon habitat have been e

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap