GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 26 May 2020, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Owen $$ vs Tepper $$ Healthcare Consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  

Owen vs Tepper Healthcare Consulting

• 62% [5]
  • 37% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q41 V39
GMAT 2: 660 Q40 V41
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Owen $$ vs Tepper $$ Healthcare Consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 18:26
Hi all,

So I am in a bind. I am looking to go into healthcare consulting, from finance tech, and have been accepted into Owen with $70k and Tepper with $60k. I have also been waitlisted by Fuqua and am contemplating applying to KF. I am not dead-set on MBB, but still want to work at a large, well-known, consulting firm if possible. I am originally from the Northeast and would ultimately like to end up in Philly in the long term, but don't mind working pretty much anywhere else first (Nashville, ATL, PGH, etc).

I am leaning toward Owen but am worried that I would end up stuck in the South and/or at a small consulting firm/internal consulting. If I end up at a large consulting firm can I transfer to another office after a year or two?? I completed my undergrad in Pittsburgh and would like to go somewhere new, but I feel as though the Tepper name would have a whole lot more weight in the Northeast and is ranked much higher. Having said that, I really enjoyed my visit to Owen and think I'd enjoy a few years in Nashville. Do you think applying to KF would be worth it? I enjoyed my visit there but am not sure they are heads and tails above Owen and also don't know if they'd match Owen's $$.

Obviously if I get into Duke this whole story changes, but for now I need to at least place a deposit down and any insight would be amazing!!

Thanks in advance!
-TR
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge
Re: Owen $$ vs Tepper $$ Healthcare Consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 19:03
I would definitely apply to UNC if I was you since you want to do Healthcare Consulting. UNC's reputation in healthcare is really, really strong and consulting is solid. I am a current UNC 1st year from Philadelphia also doing healthcare consulting and there are plenty of opportunities for healthcare consulting and returning to the northeast. Im not really sure how strong tepper is in healthcare in general, I know Owen is good for healthcare but not as strong as the other two in brand. Tough choice here, good luck!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Owen $$ vs Tepper $$ Healthcare Consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 19:39
Hi. Congrats on your admits. I’m going to say upfront that my post is likely going to be absolutely no help to you :-)

Fuqua would give you the best shot at MBB and consulting as they have MBB offices on campus. I really hope the WL clears... though Fuqua is a bit famous for that and keeps folks on the WL for a long time. Hope you get an R2 admit!

UNC, Fuqua, and Owen are known as the go to schools for healthcare consulting. However, Tepper would be better for consulting than Owen in terms of opportunities. I don’t know healthcare wise at Tepper. This is something I would research with a current student or two.

PS. I guess KF could be the mix of both worlds such as Tepper and Owen though I don’t see it being THAT much more meaningful but I bet you can reuse a lot of your essays and it won’t hurt to put your name in the hat (there goes Christmas break).

woody93, do you have management consulting firms much on campus at KF? MBB or Accenture, AT Kearney, Deloitte?

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2019, 20:05
bb Happy to answer. Absolutely, McKinsey and Deloitte both come to campus and hire a fair amount. Last year nearly 10 interned at Deloitte and 9-10 interned at McKinsey with many 2nd years already signing offers to go back full-time. ATK also comes to campus for recruitment. In addition, we also have Bain and BCG on campus as well though they hire less than McKinsey and Deloitte, but a few still go there. In addition, the other big firms that come to campus are ZS Associates, PwC, Simon-Kutcher and bunch of boutique firms.

I have been pleasantly surprised (and happy) with the access to the best consulting firms at UNC so far.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q41 V39
GMAT 2: 660 Q40 V41
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 13:52
woody93 I was on the fence about applying to KF but your responses have convinced me to do so! I enjoyed my visit during the fall, though I didn't interview, and think that KF - as you both have mentioned - could be the best mix of everything that I am looking for. Thank you!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 14:05
ToroRojo93 wrote:
woody93 I was on the fence about applying to KF but your responses have convinced me to do so! I enjoyed my visit during the fall, though I didn't interview, and think that KF - as you both have mentioned - could be the best mix of everything that I am looking for. Thank you!

I am hearing rumors/speculations from a few sources that with the economy going strong still in the US and lots of qualified applicants in R1, R2 may be a turkey shoot for the applicants. This is only a speculation but I am buying that theory and encouraging everyone to throw their hat for R2. Unless schools cut their class size, it may be a really good round :fingers_crossed:

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Owen $$ vs Tepper $$ Healthcare Consulting   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2019, 14:05

Owen $$ vs Tepper $$ Healthcare Consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate