Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 19:07 It is currently 03 May 2024, 19:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q43 V46
GRE 1: Q162 V170
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V32
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Received an interview invite today with an Alumni here in So Cal. Nervous but excited!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Done with interview. Now starts a long wait.
All questions were focused on "why" - For every professional decision I undertook till today. If you have lot of experience on the CV be prepared for these kind of questions.
Kellogg calls would be coming for next few weeks. It has just started. So don't be worried. Good luck everyone.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Three Key Lessons to Understanding the Healthcare Tech Industry

Professor Pete McNerney led a lecture series in November 2016 called Health “Tech” and Startups – the sixth and final installment of the Healthcare 101 lunch and learn series sponsored by the Healthcare Club and professors who align with the Health Enterprise Management pathway. The objective of the Healthcare 101 series is to give students exposure to a variety of healthcare topics, ranging from Biopharma to Payers. Professors David Dranove and Craig Garthwaite were among the presenters during Fall Quarter. In the Health Tech and Startups session, Professor McNerney walked nearly 60 first- and second-year Kellogg students through several key lessons on the health tech industry, including:

• Know the environment – What’s the scale of the U.S. healthcare industry? How is it changing? Where do startups fit into the landscape?
  • Know the market – Where is the need for new technology innovations? What’s “hot”? What’s likely to fail?
  • Follow the money – What health tech business models have been successful? Where’s venture capital most active?
Know the environment.

Healthcare is big business in the United States, and constantly growing in size and complexity. The U.S. has the highest per capita healthcare cost of Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) nations, with five percent of patients comprising more than half of the total expenditures. The government is still a major player in terms of regulating and paying for care (e.g., Medicare, Medicaid). Many of us attending the workshop were already familiar with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and its efforts to reduce the number of uninsured Americans through legislation. Even with the ACA rules in place, there are tens of millions still uninsured. Care providers like hospitals and clinics are consolidating, pushing for fewer beds and shorter stays in an effort to reduce the cost of caring for patient populations.

In the midst of this context, much is changing. insurers are shifting from fee-for-service care to value-based care, which compensates healthcare providers based on a positive outcome, rather than accumulating a total bill based on the number of types of procedures in a visit. Additionally, providers’ focus is shifting from expensive acute care and to chronic care, which supports those with chronic conditions continually and not just when they require hospitalization. All of these factors point to opportunities for health tech to meet some of these needs in the healthcare space.

Know the market.

It’s not difficult to identify areas for improvement in healthcare, but it is much harder to pinpoint: a) which of these needs presents the greatest opportunity, b) if that part of the market is growing and  c) whether there’s enough potential value to make the endeavor a successful business model. Traditionally, healthcare players have been hesitant to change, so for a new technology or innovation to truly “stick,” it must add significant value. Not surprisingly, there are several hot trends in medical technology (which includes both medical devices and healthcare IT), like wearable devices, implantable monitors, as well as other solutions that address “trunk of the tree”  (direct problems stemming from chronic illnesses) issues like obesity or hypertension.

The hottest trends in digital health are looking at many pressing needs, including: understanding and reducing cost, identifying efficient and high-quality providers, improving clinical practices, managing and minimizing risk, and ensuring compliance from patients. Patient-driven healthcare is an extension on this theme: patients can take greater ownership over their health status and decisions around care if given visibility to the right information. Consumers of healthcare value price transparency – this goes for patients receiving care as well those paying the final bills, such as an employer. Conversely, medical technology for a higher-cost therapy or in an over-invested category (e.g., a “me-too” option, or a niche solution that may be redundant with other available therapies) would be more likely to fall short in the current environment.

Follow the money.

A startup’s success depends on the ability to manage two major risk factors: the business model – how it makes money and scales – and marketing – how to reach customers. As the healthcare environment changes, the transactions around healthcare innovation shift as well. . Because of the increased focus on cost, hospital systems are more involved with medical device investment decisions that were previously left to their clinicians. Additionally, healthcare IT is leveraged by healthcare administrators – both those providing care and those paying for care – in order to better forecast and manage costs.

Venture capital (VC) and non-VC capital are flowing into healthcare, and increasingly, transactions occur at earlier stages, such as more activity in software development and less in healthcare services. According to Rock Health, a major healthcare-focused VC fund and startup incubator, some of the hottest areas of investment include consumer engagement, wearables and biometrics. “Big data” is also becoming a major priority: payers generate a huge amount of data and all healthcare stakeholders are looking to use data more effectively. Reviewing exits from healthcare investments give us insight to profitability of this industry, and merger & acquisition (M&A) activity is growing, as are initial public offerings (IPOs), or money coming in through public markets.

How Kellogg students are pursuing healthcare tech startup opportunities

During the last portion of the session, two second-year (2Y) students discussed how they found their summer internships in health tech by leveraging the student and alumni network, staying in touch with connections, and participating in the Kellogg Healthcare Trek.  Read more about a recent healthcare trek.

Interested in learning more about healthcare at Kellogg?

Check out the Healthcare Club and Health Enterprise Management pathway sites. Health and Wellness Week, the Business of Healthcare Conference, and the Kellogg Biotech & Healthcare Case Competition will be held January 21, 2017. Events will be held on the Evanston Campus and will feature speakers and panels from various sectors of healthcare. Tickets to the Business of Healthcare Conference are available for purchase online.

Filed under: Uncategorized https://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/comments ... .com/8266/
https://pixel.wp.com/b.gif?host=kellogg ... ef=&feed=1
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. Did you guys get a specific date and time when you got the invite or was it more of a slot of 2-3 weeks, during which you can schedule as per your and interviewer's convenience? I have a feeling its the latter and if it is so, what's the duration of the window? I'm just curious because I may have to take a leave at my office to attend the interview. My work is kind of getting hectic day by day so a last minute leave will be little tricky.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
I got few slots spread over 4 days. Immediate 4 days after I received a call. Hope it helps.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Vivek. It does help.

I'm just little nervous that 4 days may not be sufficient time for me to plan a leave or a free slot during the day. But, let's see. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks, nonetheless.
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
If you're going to interview with a local alum you will have some flexibility based on their schedule and yours. One of my clients received their alum contact info yesterday and their interview is on the 24th. So it just depends on schedules. I am positive that your assigned person will work with you! Depending on where you are, you may not get any info for a while, so don't be worried. That's normal.

shonikjk wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. Did you guys get a specific date and time when you got the invite or was it more of a slot of 2-3 weeks, during which you can schedule as per your and interviewer's convenience? I have a feeling its the latter and if it is so, what's the duration of the window? I'm just curious because I may have to take a leave at my office to attend the interview. My work is kind of getting hectic day by day so a last minute leave will be little tricky.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q43 V46
GRE 1: Q162 V170
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Received notice to schedule alumni interview.

Invited to Interview on: 2017/01/12
Heard back via: Email
GMAT: 730, Q43, V46
WE: 50 months
Industry: Non-Profit and Government
Submited on: 2017/01/02
Invited on: 2017/01/12
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
Any R2 applicants that still didn't get the interview invites?
As I knew, Kellogg invite almost everyone to interview, so I am quite nervous that I still didn't get interview invite.
Send PM
Expert Reply
I know it's hard, but please try not to worry. Some of my Round 1 clients waited over a month to get their invites or waivers. If you are in an area where there may be few or no alumni, that will delay your invite. Same thing goes if you're in an area with many alumni -- sometimes alums have to do more than one interview so the adcom will wait for the first interview to be over before they assign another candidate to that alum.

Do not worry and do not contact the adcom -- try to put it out of your mind and keep busy with something else or else you'll go mad! ; )

Good luck!

iVoRy wrote:
As I knew, Kellogg invite almost everyone to interview, so I am quite nervous that I still didn't get interview invite.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
iVoRy wrote:

I'm panicking too. I got one from Michigan, but none from the other schools I've applied to, and Kellogg is a top choice. Has anyone from the East Coast received one yet??
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just piping in again to say that you truly should not be worried. It will take them weeks to get through sending out invitations to the thousands of people who applied in Round 2 -- it doesn't mean anything that you haven't heard from them yet, I promise you. As I mentioned before, in areas/cities where there are a higher number of applicants it will take longer because there are only so many alums to go around. Be patient and do not contact them -- I promise you will eventually hear from them and it is still early in the process (I had a client wait over a month in Round 1).

Good luck!

deetdeet wrote:
iVoRy wrote:

I'm panicking too. I got one from Michigan, but none from the other schools I've applied to, and Kellogg is a top choice. Has anyone from the East Coast received one yet??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
Thank you Erika. :-D
SBCErikaOlson wrote:
Just piping in again to say that you truly should not be worried. It will take them weeks to get through sending out invitations to the thousands of people who applied in Round 2 -- it doesn't mean anything that you haven't heard from them yet, I promise you. As I mentioned before, in areas/cities where there are a higher number of applicants it will take longer because there are only so many alums to go around. Be patient and do not contact them -- I promise you will eventually hear from them and it is still early in the process (I had a client wait over a month in Round 1).

Good luck!

deetdeet wrote:
iVoRy wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys,

All those who have interviewed, do you guys mind sharing your experiences? How was the interview like? What kind of questions were asked?

I've heard from people in the past that Kellogg interview can be a grilling interview at times. Did anyone experience that?

Any input will really help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.68
Send PM