Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 03:24 It is currently 13 May 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6885 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2210 [0]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score 710 // Opinion // Cancelling and reinstating [#permalink]
Congratulations on getting a 710! . It's an amazing score you must most definitely keep it. It's not something you should cancel, although if you feel you can do better and score 740-750,( which is not needed since this score can get you into a top mba program with a good overall application) you can re take the exam and keep both the scores.
Also, if you cancel this score and wish to reinstate, you might as well can do that. Goodluck :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Score 710 // Opinion // Cancelling and reinstating [#permalink]
JonSpecter congratulations!

710 is an awesome score, do not cancel it! You may go ahead and retake the test and see what you get in your attempt, but do not cancel 710. This is more than enough to get you in any top school. Focus your efforts on other aspects of the applications.

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 19 Nov 2019, 09:06.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 19 Nov 2019, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1001 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
JonSpecter Hello, did you, by any chance, take ESR?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4
Send PM
JonSpecter wrote:
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I took the GMAT and I got 710 Q50 V34. I feel that I can do it quite better if I retake it and achieve a 740-750 score. Anyway, I want to ask you two questions.

1) My objective is to study the MBA in a top business school in USA & my background is 2 years working at Bain & Company in Europe. Do you think that this score would be sufficient to get into, for example, Wharton or Harvard? I know that it considerably depends on my background, extracurrilar activities, etc. but what do you think?

2) If I cancel my score to retake the exam and unfortunately I score even worse, Could I reinstate the 710 score? Or if I retook the exam I could not reinstate past scores.

Thanks a lot for your help !!

Your WE is 2 years which is on the low side and so I'm curious if you are planning to apply this year or wait a couple years for more experience/promotions and maybe some similar growth in your EC's as well. Verbal could improve and if you feel comfortable putting in some extra study, I'd retake the GMAT for sure, especially if you are going for M7 schools. On the bright side, Verbal is fairly easy to realize big jumps in score since the code to breaking down lots of verbal problems is more straightforward and easier to decipher than the quant section where you can find yourself truly lost on some more difficult problems. In your position, I'd honestly just work a few more years, really build an airtight case for yourself, go above and beyond in notable opportunities outside work, and aim for a GMAT 750+. Going from V34 to V40+ is not difficult, and quant doesn't seem to be a problem for you which is the important score anyway.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1836 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
GMAT Score 710 // Opinion // Cancelling and reinstating [#permalink]
JonSpecter wrote:

Yesterday I took the GMAT and I got 710 Q50 V34. I feel that I can do it quite better if I retake it and achieve a 740-750 score.

A score of 710 is very good and you should keep it. At least, it provides a sufficiently high benchmark to adcoms.

To achieve a score of 740+, you would need to have a very good test with many things coming together. This is clearly a tall task.

Many testtakers make the improper reasoning that if they managed to achieve a certain high enough score, then they can do even better. Scores can also go down and they will go down for many retakers.

Another point of note is that your subscores are uneven. If you are able to increase your verbal while still performing as well on quant, then you may be able to do better on a retake. However, achieving a large increase in verbal is difficult in a short amount of time. GL!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
JonSpecter wrote:
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I took the GMAT and I got 710 Q50 V34. I feel that I can do it quite better if I retake it and achieve a 740-750 score. Anyway, I want to ask you two questions.

1) My objective is to study the MBA in a top business school in USA & my background is 2 years working at Bain & Company in Europe. Do you think that this score would be sufficient to get into, for example, Wharton or Harvard? I know that it considerably depends on my background, extracurrilar activities, etc. but what do you think?

2) If I cancel my score to retake the exam and unfortunately I score even worse, Could I reinstate the 710 score? Or if I retook the exam I could not reinstate past scores.

Thanks a lot for your help !!

Both Harvard and wharton have a history of rejecting candidates with 740+ scores too

Give the test again don't cancel the score and just apply and mention that you're retaking and would they be willing to accept a new score even after application is submitted from the admissions office

That would help you.

I don't recommend that you cancel your score because it has a 7 in front of it, if anything the adcom will view it as an absolute +1 to your talent.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JonSpecter,

First off, a 710/Q50 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Since you've named some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

There's no harm in continuing to study though - and with a V34, you would have lost significant points in at least 1 of the three major Verbal categories (RC, SC or CR). Before we can discuss how you might best proceed with your studies (if you choose to), it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your prior studies:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22203 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi JonSpecter,

Regarding your first question, it’s difficult to provide an answer without knowing more about you as an applicant. Also, since you are asking an admissions-based question, you may find it helpful to reach out to one of the many admissions consultants here on GMAT Club.

Regarding your second question, you do have the option to reinstate your 710 GMAT score.

If you have any questions about your study plan, feel free to reach back out. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot