GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2019, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Score 710 // Opinion // Cancelling and reinstating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Score 710 // Opinion // Cancelling and reinstating  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 03:34
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I took the GMAT and I got 710 Q50 V34. I feel that I can do it quite better if I retake it and achieve a 740-750 score. Anyway, I want to ask you two questions.

1) My objective is to study the MBA in a top business school in USA & my background is 2 years working at Bain & Company in Europe. Do you think that this score would be sufficient to get into, for example, Wharton or Harvard? I know that it considerably depends on my background, extracurrilar activities, etc. but what do you think?

2) If I cancel my score to retake the exam and unfortunately I score even worse, Could I reinstate the 710 score? Or if I retook the exam I could not reinstate past scores.

Thanks a lot for your help !!
Manager
Manager
G
Re: GMAT Score 710 // Opinion // Cancelling and reinstating  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 04:17
JonSpecter wrote:
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I took the GMAT and I got 710 Q50 V34. I feel that I can do it quite better if I retake it and achieve a 740-750 score. Anyway, I want to ask you two questions.

1) My objective is to study the MBA in a top business school in USA & my background is 2 years working at Bain & Company in Europe. Do you think that this score would be sufficient to get into, for example, Wharton or Harvard? I know that it considerably depends on my background, extracurrilar activities, etc. but what do you think?

2) If I cancel my score to retake the exam and unfortunately I score even worse, Could I reinstate the 710 score? Or if I retook the exam I could not reinstate past scores.

Hello JonSpecter. First of all, congratulations on crossing the 700 threshold. It does open more doors than you might think. Before you do anything rash, I would let the dust settle on this test-taking experience and assess what had gone into each score, especially in comparison to how you had performed in practice tests. Test-day anxiety is a very real and powerful force that few people overcome in their first crack at the test. That is, you should not realistically expect a 740-750 if you had not consistently been scoring in that range under similar testing conditions, with a few results likely above that target. I often say that you can only expect to put in your worst performance from recent practice tests when you go into the test center, so if, for example, you had scored 700, 730, 740, 730 within the past 1-2 months, then that 710 would make perfect sense. Sure, you had hit your high score once, and you could probably do it again with more time and dedicated practice, but again, you should not simply believe that things will go your way because they have before, or especially that on a good day, you could hit a 760 or so when you have not done it already. To address your specific questions:

1) Your score fits into the range of accepted students at top U.S. business schools, but of course, falling below the mean in any measure will put some pressure on you elsewhere. Many successful candidates also have more background experience. Your goal, then, would be to present yourself in a manner through your application and essays that might allow you to stand out without looking as though you were waving your hands for attention. I have helped people before successfully get into at least one of their reach schools, but I will tell you that it is not the norm. I will also say that none of my successful students have ended up submitting such "Look at me, I am exceptional in every way!" essays. Their essays might have started that way in a few cases, but we always find something meaningful to the student to tease out that presents a better picture of who that person may be. For instance, I helped one such person develop an idea that he enjoyed learning how things worked, a vague and generic statement that was mentioned in passing and did not really fit into the shell he had written. I asked him about it, and he told me about some of his travel experiences, visiting the world's largest cuckoo clock in Germany, a life-sized, fully functioning clock, and stopping on a landing inside the clock to pause and take in the gears and mechanisms that allowed gravity, with gigantic bags of something or other serving as weights, and circular motion to keep the clock ticking. Anyway, it was this idea, developed, images and all, that he ended up submitting. His scores were a little below 700, but he ended up getting into one Ivy and Booth. You want to put your best foot forward, sure, but you do not want to do so in a patent manner. Consider: who are you behind the scores, behind the business school applicant, behind the aspiring manager-to-be?

2) This is an easier one to field. Yes, you can reinstate your old score, per mba.com, for up to 4 years, 11 months from the time you have taken the test. Everything comes at a price, though. Your scores will be sent to the original recipients, with no option to alter that list, and you will have to purchase additional score reports to submit to any others. In other words, you will be nickel-and-dimed to death, but it can be done. Here is that link:

https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat/after-the-exam/gmat-scores-and-score-reports/cancelling-reinstating-gmat-score

Best of luck to you.

- Andrew
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 08:17
JonSpecter wrote:
Hi everyone!

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... 4/?fl=menu

It is better if you ask this to Admission consultants.
Thanks__

SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 08:26
Congratulations on getting a 710! . It's an amazing score you must most definitely keep it. It's not something you should cancel, although if you feel you can do better and score 740-750,( which is not needed since this score can get you into a top mba program with a good overall application) you can re take the exam and keep both the scores.
Also, if you cancel this score and wish to reinstate, you might as well can do that. Goodluck :)
G
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Nov 2019, 09:26
JonSpecter congratulations!

710 is an awesome score, do not cancel it! You may go ahead and retake the test and see what you get in your attempt, but do not cancel 710. This is more than enough to get you in any top school. Focus your efforts on other aspects of the applications.

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 19 Nov 2019, 09:06.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 19 Nov 2019, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 09:31
JonSpecter Hello, did you, by any chance, take ESR?

The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.4

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 11:33
JonSpecter wrote:
Hi everyone!

Your WE is 2 years which is on the low side and so I'm curious if you are planning to apply this year or wait a couple years for more experience/promotions and maybe some similar growth in your EC's as well. Verbal could improve and if you feel comfortable putting in some extra study, I'd retake the GMAT for sure, especially if you are going for M7 schools. On the bright side, Verbal is fairly easy to realize big jumps in score since the code to breaking down lots of verbal problems is more straightforward and easier to decipher than the quant section where you can find yourself truly lost on some more difficult problems. In your position, I'd honestly just work a few more years, really build an airtight case for yourself, go above and beyond in notable opportunities outside work, and aim for a GMAT 750+. Going from V34 to V40+ is not difficult, and quant doesn't seem to be a problem for you which is the important score anyway.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Status: PhD-trained. Education, Research, Teaching, Training, Consulting and Advisory Services
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 11:45
JonSpecter wrote:

Yesterday I took the GMAT and I got 710 Q50 V34. I feel that I can do it quite better if I retake it and achieve a 740-750 score.

A score of 710 is very good and you should keep it. At least, it provides a sufficiently high benchmark to adcoms.

To achieve a score of 740+, you would need to have a very good test with many things coming together. This is clearly a tall task.

Many testtakers make the improper reasoning that if they managed to achieve a certain high enough score, then they can do even better. Scores can also go down and they will go down for many retakers.

Another point of note is that your subscores are uneven. If you are able to increase your verbal while still performing as well on quant, then you may be able to do better on a retake. However, achieving a large increase in verbal is difficult in a short amount of time. GL!
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 12:04
JonSpecter wrote:
Hi everyone!

Both Harvard and wharton have a history of rejecting candidates with 740+ scores too

Give the test again don't cancel the score and just apply and mention that you're retaking and would they be willing to accept a new score even after application is submitted from the admissions office

That would help you.

I don't recommend that you cancel your score because it has a 7 in front of it, if anything the adcom will view it as an absolute +1 to your talent.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 17:23
Hi JonSpecter,

First off, a 710/Q50 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Since you've named some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

There's no harm in continuing to study though - and with a V34, you would have lost significant points in at least 1 of the three major Verbal categories (RC, SC or CR). Before we can discuss how you might best proceed with your studies (if you choose to), it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your prior studies:

1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 07:40
Hi JonSpecter,

Regarding your first question, it’s difficult to provide an answer without knowing more about you as an applicant. Also, since you are asking an admissions-based question, you may find it helpful to reach out to one of the many admissions consultants here on GMAT Club.

Regarding your second question, you do have the option to reinstate your 710 GMAT score.

If you have any questions about your study plan, feel free to reach back out. Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Score 710 // Opinion // Cancelling and reinstating   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2019, 07:40

GMAT Score 710 // Opinion // Cancelling and reinstating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep