GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 697
Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Nov 2019, 17:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:04) correct 25% (00:56) wrong based on 111 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Pack 5, Question 2 of 5:

Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining
B. rain because they are able to retain
C. rain, in their ability to retain
D. rain, having their ability to retain
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining


◀ Pack 5, Question 1
▶ Pack 5, Question 3
⏏ Question Pack Home


48 Hour Window To Win An $85 EMPOWERgmat Tuition Credit (1 Month Free!)
Share your explanation! The GMAT Club member with the most verified Kudos in total on the 5 question SC Block 5 question pack will win an $85 EMPOWERgmat tuition credit, which will entitle the winner to a full month of complete access to the EMPOWERgmat system. Even if you're not sure about your answer or your rationale, share your explanation to help boost your learning and earn a chance to win.

To be eligible, your explanation must:
    be submitted within the 48 hour window after this post was created
    should explain your reasoning why the answer you chose is correct, and why the other 4 options are incorrect within 48 hours of this post

The OA and official explanation will be held until the 48 hour window has lapsed.

_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 20 Nov 2019, 16:55.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 22 Nov 2019, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Tutor
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Sep 2014
Posts: 286
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 18:22
1
1
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Pack 5, Question 2 of 5:

Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining
B. rain because they are able to retain
C. rain, in their ability to retain
D. rain, having their ability to retain
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining



Correct answer: B

A: Incorrect because of idiom and modifier. Idiom error: the correct idiom is ability + infinitive, not "ability of." Modifier error: "because of having the ability" is awkward and does not clearly attribute the ability to the cacti.
B: Correct. (B) clearly states that "they" (cacti) have an ability to retain moisture.
C: Incorrect. Modifier error: "In" does not explain the cause/effect relationship between the cacti's ability to retain moisture and their ability to survive with little rain.
D: Incorrect. Modifier error: "Having their" is awkward and unnecessarily includes the possessive "their."
E: Incorrect. Idiom error, as in A. Modifier error: "Due to" must be followed by a noun construction; therefore, (E) is wrong as "due to" is followed by the clause "having the ability of retaining."
_________________
Source: We are an NYC based, in-person and online GMAT tutoring and prep company. We are the only GMAT provider in the world to guarantee specific GMAT scores with our flat-fee tutoring packages, or to publish student score increase rates. Our typical new-to-GMAT student score increase rate is 3-9 points per tutoring hour, the fastest in the world. Feel free to reach out!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 23 Nov 2018
Posts: 239
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 19:21
1
Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

the correct idiom is "ability to"

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining- idiom error
B. rain because they are able to retain- Correct!
C. rain, in their ability to retain- "Cacti in their ability" --- is awkward
D. rain, having their ability to retain- the ability is a general ability and its not a possessive ability-
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining- idiom error
_________________
.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Feb 2018
Posts: 319
CAT Tests
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2019, 23:45
Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

Able to do something is idiomatically better than able of -ing form. So, narrow down to B,C and D. C has pronoun reference error, their can refer to cacti or other plants. Besides, option C and D also distort the meaning of original sentence by removing cause-effect relationship. So, incorrect.

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining - Idiomatically incorrect
B. rain because they are able to retain - Seems no error, hold it.
C. rain, in their ability to retain - Pronoun reference error and this option distorts the meaning also by removing the cause-effect relation of original sentence.
D. rain, having their ability to retain - This option distorts the meaning also by removing the cause-effect relation of original sentence.
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining - Idiomatically incorrect

Imo. B
_________________
Thanks in the forum can be expressed by hitting KUDOS!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 17 Aug 2018
Posts: 278
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
Premium Member
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 07:42
One may read the second clause of the sentence that goes after the semicolon and notice that the sentence uses Present tense:

Cacti [blah-blah] can survive with little rain because .... ; however, [blah-blah], their [blah-blah] root systems allow them to absorb [blah-blah].

So, we need to explain how Cacti can survive without water. Option (B) is clear and concise.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 177
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2019, 13:39
1
Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

Ability to do something is the correct form

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining
having the ability of -> is unnecessarily wordy. I can do something or i am able to do something. I have the ability to learn quickly. I am having the ability of is wordy. this expression of having can clearly be replaced with simpler base verb forms.

B. rain because they are able to retain
because specifies the reason why they are able to survive. Is Cacti singular or plural? Cacti is plural. Cactus is singular. If confused, check the non-underlined part, it has 'their'...'them' that suggests it is a plural word. so 'they' refers to Cacti. 'Able to' is correctly used. Keep the answer!

C. rain, in their ability to retain
this option distorts the meaning. cacti can survive in little rain in their ability , is it trying to say they can survive in their ability to retain? doesn't make sense!

D. rain, having their ability to retain
Having their ability is used as a modifier to modify Cacti, if we restructure the sentence, Cacti having their ability to retain can survive. there is no need for modifier to represent Cacti.

E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining
based on the meaning, we are looking for reason to explain why Cacti can survive. we want the reason to explain the action of surviving. hence, because is appropriate for this construction. Also ability to is the correct form.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 May 2019
Posts: 106
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 04:49
acti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining - having
B. rain because they are able to retain - correct
C. rain, in their ability to retain - subject comma rule
D. rain, having their ability to retain -having
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining - having

Answer is B
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 697
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 17:16
Official Explanation:

Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining
B. rain because they are able to retain
C. rain, in their ability to retain
D. rain, having their ability to retain
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining

A review of our choices reveals a split between the forms of “retain.” We have the infinitive (to retain) and a preposition + -ing word. There is also a split between the use of “ability” or “able to.”

Every answer choice has either “ability” or “able” in the sentence, and these two words involve idioms that have very specific rules. They must always be followed by an infinitive. An infinitive is the word “to” + the base form of a verb. “Ability” and “able” are never followed by any other preposition, like of. So, Options A and E cannot be the correct answers.

Now, we need to consider our sentence as a whole, and because it is a modifying phrase, the part enclosed in commas can be safely ignored for a while. “Cacti can survive with little rain . . . they are able/their ability to retain moisture.” This sentence starts with mentioning how cacti can survive with little water and then mentions their ability to retain moisture. The sentence is attempting to set up a cause and effect statement. “In their ability to retain” and “having their ability to retain” does not show this causal relationship and, instead, seem to merely make a comment about their ability to retain moisture as if it is separate from their surviving with little rain. “Because” does show the causal relationship. Options C and D cannot be the best answer.

Option B is the best answer.
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 697
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 17:21
TestPrepUnlimited wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Pack 5, Question 2 of 5:

Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining
B. rain because they are able to retain
C. rain, in their ability to retain
D. rain, having their ability to retain
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining



Correct answer: B

A: Incorrect because of idiom and modifier. Idiom error: the correct idiom is ability + infinitive, not "ability of." Modifier error: "because of having the ability" is awkward and does not clearly attribute the ability to the cacti.
B: Correct. (B) clearly states that "they" (cacti) have an ability to retain moisture.
C: Incorrect. Modifier error: "In" does not explain the cause/effect relationship between the cacti's ability to retain moisture and their ability to survive with little rain.
D: Incorrect. Modifier error: "Having their" is awkward and unnecessarily includes the possessive "their."
E: Incorrect. Idiom error, as in A. Modifier error: "Due to" must be followed by a noun construction; therefore, (E) is wrong as "due to" is followed by the clause "having the ability of retaining."


Thank you TestPrepUnlimited for another great explanation!
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 697
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 17:23
sampriya wrote:
Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

the correct idiom is "ability to"

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining- idiom error
B. rain because they are able to retain- Correct!
C. rain, in their ability to retain- "Cacti in their ability" --- is awkward
D. rain, having their ability to retain- the ability is a general ability and its not a possessive ability-
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining- idiom error


Well done, sampriya! You cracked the code on this one! Part of why option C is so awkward is because "in their ability to maintain" doesn't show the proper cause-effect relationship. Using "because" fixes this in option B. :-)

Kudos to you!
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 697
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 17:25
Raxit85 wrote:
Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

Able to do something is idiomatically better than able of -ing form. So, narrow down to B,C and D. C has pronoun reference error, their can refer to cacti or other plants. Besides, option C and D also distort the meaning of original sentence by removing cause-effect relationship. So, incorrect.

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining - Idiomatically incorrect
B. rain because they are able to retain - Seems no error, hold it.
C. rain, in their ability to retain - Pronoun reference error and this option distorts the meaning also by removing the cause-effect relation of original sentence.
D. rain, having their ability to retain - This option distorts the meaning also by removing the cause-effect relation of original sentence.
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining - Idiomatically incorrect

Imo. B


Well done Raxit85! You caught both the idiom error and the cause-effect error! I also like that you wrote out your thinking process on this, so others can see how you figured things out. :thumbup:
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 697
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 17:29
mykrasovski wrote:
One may read the second clause of the sentence that goes after the semicolon and notice that the sentence uses Present tense:

Cacti [blah-blah] can survive with little rain because .... ; however, [blah-blah], their [blah-blah] root systems allow them to absorb [blah-blah].

So, we need to explain how Cacti can survive without water. Option (B) is clear and concise.


Well done mykrasovski! You cracked the code!

I'm curious to know more about how you got to the correct choice using verbs from the non-underlined part of the sentence as your guide. This wasn't really the focus of the question's official explanation, but it's always great to hear how other people tackle these SC questions!
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 697
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 17:32
snoep wrote:
Cacti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

Ability to do something is the correct form

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining
having the ability of -> is unnecessarily wordy. I can do something or i am able to do something. I have the ability to learn quickly. I am having the ability of is wordy. this expression of having can clearly be replaced with simpler base verb forms.

B. rain because they are able to retain
because specifies the reason why they are able to survive. Is Cacti singular or plural? Cacti is plural. Cactus is singular. If confused, check the non-underlined part, it has 'their'...'them' that suggests it is a plural word. so 'they' refers to Cacti. 'Able to' is correctly used. Keep the answer!

C. rain, in their ability to retain
this option distorts the meaning. cacti can survive in little rain in their ability , is it trying to say they can survive in their ability to retain? doesn't make sense!

D. rain, having their ability to retain
Having their ability is used as a modifier to modify Cacti, if we restructure the sentence, Cacti having their ability to retain can survive. there is no need for modifier to represent Cacti.

E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining
based on the meaning, we are looking for reason to explain why Cacti can survive. we want the reason to explain the action of surviving. hence, because is appropriate for this construction. Also ability to is the correct form.


Well done snoep! I like that you caught the slight distinction between "because" and "due to!" The phrase "due to" is only used to modify nouns, not actions - and you got it! Great explanations on the rest, too!

Kudos to you!
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 697
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 17:34
HighModeOn wrote:
acti, like other drought-tolerant plants, can survive with little rain because of having the ability of retaining moisture through modified structures, such as spines and thick stems; however, when there is rain, their wide, shallow root systems allow them to absorb water quickly throughout a large area.

A. rain because of having the ability of retaining - having
B. rain because they are able to retain - correct
C. rain, in their ability to retain - subject comma rule
D. rain, having their ability to retain -having
E. rain, due to having the ability of retaining - having

Answer is B


Great job, HighModeOn! You cracked the code on this one! It would be nice to know more about what you mean when you say options A, D, & E are wrong because of "having." What type of error is that? It may help others who are reading over the comment section to know your thinking process on each of these. :-)
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 17 Aug 2018
Posts: 278
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
Premium Member
Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 19:32
Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal I looked at the part that starts with "however". It talks, in general, about Cacti when there is rain. And the discussion is in Present Simple tense, because it is a fact. The first part talks about polar situation - when there is no rain - and this situation is also a fact. So, why would we use "fancy" tenses if there is a Present simple option without any flaws?

If I were to provide an example, I would say something like this (very silly example lol):
Bob brushes his teeth after dinner on weekdays. However, Bob skips brushing his teeth on Fridays since he attends parties.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 697
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 16:05
mykrasovski wrote:
Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal I looked at the part that starts with "however". It talks, in general, about Cacti when there is rain. And the discussion is in Present Simple tense, because it is a fact. The first part talks about polar situation - when there is no rain - and this situation is also a fact. So, why would we use "fancy" tenses if there is a Present simple option without any flaws?

If I were to provide an example, I would say something like this (very silly example lol):
Bob brushes his teeth after dinner on weekdays. However, Bob skips brushing his teeth on Fridays since he attends parties.


Thanks for the added information, mykrasovski! We always like to hear the different ways people tackle these questions. :) :thumbup:
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2019, 16:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Pack 5 Q2: Cacti, like other drought tolerant plants...

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne