Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [15]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [5]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [1]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32929 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Personal names are generally regarded by European thinkers in two [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Hi, kindly provide explanation to q2 and q7 regards

Explanation

2. The author most likely refers to Western Apache place names in order to?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The stem takes us to the end of the third paragraph. Reading a few lines back for context, we find that the reference to Western Apache place names followed the long discussion of the Hopi name Lomayayva, a name that referred to a complicated image in a condensed way. The author then indicates that the full meaning of this name is like a Western Apache place name in that they are both compact poetic compositions. So the description of Western Apache place names is applied to Hopi names, and the description fits. (B) describes this relationship.

(A) No such example is provided. We learn that Western Apache place names are tiny poems, but we never learn anything about how their literal translations compare to their true meaning. In fact, we aren’t given any specific place names at all.

(C) While there is a similarity between the two in the images they evoke, the actual naming practices are never compared, no less contrasted.

(D) The author is trying to prove something about Hopi names. While the quote does support the notion that Western Apache names also may have some deeper meaning, that isn’t why they are mentioned.

(E) is a distortion. The Hopi name is similar to Western Apache place names simply because they both are like tiny imagist poems. No particular place name is mentioned in the passage.

Answer: B

7. The author’s primary purpose in writing the passage is to

Explanation

The author begins with a description of the views of Mill and Levi-Strauss, uses Hopi names to demonstrate that their views are too limited, and drives it all home in lines

(This view of Hopi names is thus opposed not only to Mill’s claim that personal names are without inherent meaning but also to Lévi-Strauss’s purely functional characterization).

Mill and Levi-Strauss have it wrong, and Hopi names are the vehicle for proving it. (D) captures this notion.

(A), (E) Hopi names are discussed to make a broader point about naming in general. While the author focuses much attention on Hopi names, they aren’t discussed for their own sake—that would ignore the author’s overall commentary on the theories of Mill and Levi Strauss. In addition to that, (E) is also simply too broad to encapsulate the primary purpose here.

(B) What new theory?

(C), like (A) and (E), is too neutral, and neglects the author’s criticism of the views in Para 1.

Answer: D

This is not Official explanation rather belongs to Kaplan LSAT

Hope it helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Personal names are generally regarded by European thinkers in two [#permalink]
Hello

17 mins and 35 seconds; got 1 wrong, easiest of the lot.

3. Which one of the following statements describes an example of the function accorded to personal names under Levi-Strauss’s view?

(A) Some parents select their children’s names from impersonal sources such as books.
    (B) Some parents wait to give a child a name in order to choose one that reflects the child’s looks or personality.
    (C) Some parents name their children in honor of friends or famous people.
    (D) Some family members have no parts of their names in common.
    (E) Some family names originated as identifications of their bearer’s occupations.

As per passage "Claude Levi-Strauss’s characterization of names as being primarily instruments of social classification has been very influential"

D)Some family members have no parts of their names in common

can it be said that when family members do not have names in common it is because they want to be identified easily ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Hi Sajjad1994

Could you provide the answer explanation for Q4?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32929 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
notshynotme wrote:
Hi Sajjad1994

Could you provide the answer explanation for Q4?

Explanation

4. The primary function of the second paragraph is to

Explanation

The second paragraph backs up the author’s claim in Paragraph 1 that Hopi names can signify more than Mill and Levi-Strauss thought. The rites of passage example and the “little rabbit” example both indicate that names can have meaning. In other words, they can have semantic content, as (D) indicates.

(A) and (E) come from the wrong paragraph. The “poetic composition” stuff referred to in (A) comes in paragraph 3. As for (E), the only literal translation we get is “little rabbit,” which doesn’t obscure any meaning. The name giver just thinks the kid looks like a little rabbit. Nothing mysterious there. The name with a misleading literal translation was “Lomayayva,” but that comes from the third paragraph.

(B) is too limited. The paragraph does claim that Hopis receive names that refer to events in the recipient’s life, but this claim is made to support the larger claim in (D). It isn’t the paragraph’s main point.

(C) goes too far. Yes, they receive many names throughout their lives, but this doesn’t by itself refute the European theories. The author’s argument is much more complex than that.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Can someone explain the 7th question - I understood that the author wants to explore other theories behind personal names but I couldn’t figure out how can we say that he is criticizing the first two theories mentioned. Please help me with it.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32929 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ayushi0002 wrote:
Can someone explain the 7th question - I understood that the author wants to explore other theories behind personal names but I couldn’t figure out how can we say that he is criticizing the first two theories mentioned. Please help me with it.

­Explained here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM

Ayushi0002 wrote:

I too was stuck in these two options: A and D. Then I asked myself, Why exactly has the author written the whole passage? Can we say that too inform us? Or should we say that to refute two theories? If you are precise, you'll notice that he start by discussing two theories and then talk about a naming practice that is against these theories, and later again, the author summarizes this in the last passage. So in view of this, I marked option D as the correct one. 
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts