Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Science (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
PankhuriPandya wrote:
plk10 wrote:
PankhuriPandya wrote:
Great thread guys!

would love if someone could evaluate my profile

Background and nationality - Indian origin canadian citizen female
Undergrad Information - B.tech in Chemical Engineering,National Institute of technology,Surat,India with 8.03/10 GPA. Last 2 semesters being 8.64 and 9.41
GMAT: a disappointing 640 (Q-45 V-34), this is best out of 3
Work experience and leadership - 1 year as Production Engineer in Cairn Energy, Rajasthan, India and consequent 3 years as Process engineer in McDermott Middle East, Dubai,UAE. Throughout the 4 years of work ex, i have had technicians report to me, had to deal with clients and vendors, and have worked in remote locations and fabrication yards in harsh conditions
Talent Management Liason in Graduate council - was responsible for representing graduate program union to the management in McDermott. In the process, organized various team events, brainstorming sessions and lunch and learns with senior management
Community and others -
1. Participated in CSR activities in Cairn energy. Organized women's day on behalf on Cairn in which we visited a remote village near our plant and motivated women and their daughters to avail education to the best of their abilities
2. Was part of I-India in college. Visited old age homes to spend time with the residents and organize "Joy of Giving week" where we personally served children from residents with entertainment,food and fun.
3. Currently part pf dance classes where we perform every 6 months at annual gatherings.
4. Travelled to Austria,Switzerland,Germany,France,Kenya,
Post MBA goals
1. Plans to get into consulting and eventually into strategic management of FMCG/Energy industry.

Appreciate any one who can provide some insights!
Thank you

With Rotman, your application on paper is what will get you in. I strongly believe the interview is just to make sure that you actually say who you are and is therefore, a smaller factor than say at Queen's or Ivey.

As such, get that GMAT score above their average (660-670). Since you are a domestic student (Canadian citizen), the process is less competitive. In my opinion, it should not be too hard to raise that score 30-40 points. Get cracking and make your attempt count.

Hi plk10, interesting insight. Definite motivation to work towards a higher score. This might be the last attempt I give and I will definitely have to make it count. I noticed your profile mentions "Energy and Utilities" under industry AND you mention your location as Canada. Are you a current student at a b school in Canada? Would definitely be helpful to get insights from someone with the same background who has gone through the application process. Thanks

Hi,

Yes. plenty of resources to make a good re-attempt here. I would personally recommend setting aside a few weeks if you can to study for the GMAT, practicing as much as possible and nailing it in the one go.

Yes, I am a geologist based in Calgary. Been in Canada for the last 11 years (moved here when I was 13) and have worked with several energy majors in the Calgary area.

I am scheduled to start my MBA either this fall or in January (depending on what kind of response I get from Queen's) but have already been accepted into U of T and McGill for this year. Just waiting on Queen's to get back to me so I can make a decision. So yeah, I have been through the process a few times and have been fortunate enough to make it work for my top picks. Feel free to ask me anything - I'm just a reply/PM away.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
I saw someone here say that the interview just looks to make sure you're who you say you are and what's on paper matters more... while I also believe this, I also know that Rotman looks for a certain aspect during interviews: employability. Do you have the interview skills to get yourself hired?

One of the most important business school KPIs is percent of graduates employed, so the interview phase of the application weeds out those who can't do interviews or can't sell themselves well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
EduSimplified wrote:
Hi PankhuriPandya,

Well your reasons for preference to Rotman are not well founded. Location won't matter in terms of exposure to consulting firms and thereby in landing a job. Ivey has the largest no.of candidates going into Consulting. And they have lot of networking events for you to participate in and get networking opportunities. Also with regards to Alumni network, Ivey has largest alumni network (if im not wrong in Canada). And most of alumni are in Toronto of all business schools. Obviously, Ivey is my alma mater and I have a bias here.
Your post MBA goals should be congruent with your education background, past experience and skills. Basically, you should be employable in your dream job post MBA and not become a liability on career management team.

I want to debate this, just a little bit. I won't argue that Ivey is a great consulting school, because it is.

Location does matter for exposure. I will agree that for organized networking opportunities, Ivey and Rotman would be about the same. However, for ad-hoc coffee chats, Rotman's location in downtown Toronto is a huge advantage. I did a ton of coffee chats in first year, and a lot of them were last minute.

A typical conversation might be like this:

Me: Hi Consultant, interested in your firm, can you spare some time to sit down with me to talk about your firm?
Consultant: Happy to talk. Free at 6pm today. Can you make it?
Me: Yes, I'm just a ten-minute walk from your office. See you then!

Planning these kinds of coffee chats are impossible from Ivey. Granted, Ivey is a very reputable consulting school so all the firms go there anyway, but I'm just telling you that I met at least one consultant from each big firm through these kinds of coffee chats. Also, a lot of boutique firms are in Toronto who won't go outside of town to recruit.

Also, I've had meetings with consultants who had last-minute cancellations and slotted me into their schedule 15 minutes before the meet. From Rotman, I can make that meeting since all the major consulting firms are pretty much ten minutes away from Rotman. From anywhere outside of Toronto, I'd miss that opportunity.

Just saying.

PS - If focusing in consulting, Rotman versus Ivey is a tough choice. Don't even consider Schulich. After all, if you can hold a fork, you can go to York. :p
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jigglypuff wrote:
I saw someone here say that the interview just looks to make sure you're who you say you are and what's on paper matters more... while I also believe this, I also know that Rotman looks for a certain aspect during interviews: employability. Do you have the interview skills to get yourself hired?

One of the most important business school KPIs is percent of graduates employed, so the interview phase of the application weeds out those who can't do interviews or can't sell themselves well.

Yeah, just meant that there is less likelihood of you making up for other shortcomings with a stellar interview when compared to Ivey and Queen's. The latter two tend to reward "soft skills" while schools with a traditional 2 year structure tend to look at applications more holistically. Or at least, that has been my observation so far in my limited stint with these schools. But I obviously agree. Rotman graduates 400 candidates each year - it takes a lot of skill and acumen to keep churning high quality candidates in such numbers.

Speaking of employability, what were some things that you focused on when applying to different firms? I have read a few past post of yours and you went into the program with an academic background. Were there any advantages, and disadvantages, to this and how'd you deal with it?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
jigglypuff wrote:
EduSimplified wrote:
Hi PankhuriPandya,

I want to debate this, just a little bit. I won't argue that Ivey is a great consulting school, because it is.

Location does matter for exposure. I will agree that for organized networking opportunities, Ivey and Rotman would be about the same. However, for ad-hoc coffee chats, Rotman's location in downtown Toronto is a huge advantage. I did a ton of coffee chats in first year, and a lot of them were last minute.
Planning these kinds of coffee chats are impossible from Ivey. Granted, Ivey is a very reputable consulting school so all the firms go there anyway, but I'm just telling you that I met at least one consultant from each big firm through these kinds of coffee chats. Also, a lot of boutique firms are in Toronto who won't go outside of town to recruit.

Also, I've had meetings with consultants who had last-minute cancellations and slotted me into their schedule 15 minutes before the meet. From Rotman, I can make that meeting since all the major consulting firms are pretty much ten minutes away from Rotman. From anywhere outside of Toronto, I'd miss that opportunity.

Just saying.

PS - If focusing in consulting, Rotman versus Ivey is a tough choice. Don't even consider Schulich. After all, if you can hold a fork, you can go to York. :p

Hi jigglypuff,

Yes you are right Ivey does have a slight disadvantage when it comes to spontaneous coffee chats. And yes Ivey graduates will have to go that extra mile to plan a coffee chat and/or try to connect over a call. But I guess that's why Ivey finishes its MBA in 1 year so that graduates have all the time they need for networking 8-)

Jokes apart connecting over a call is tough but thanks to Ivey's reputation people do respond well over a call. And as mentioned earlier I do have a bias, I am an Ivey Alumnus :-D .

And I've gotta share that jibe about Schulich with my brother ! haha ! He's a Schulich grad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
plk10 wrote:
Speaking of employability, what were some things that you focused on when applying to different firms? I have read a few past post of yours and you went into the program with an academic background. Were there any advantages, and disadvantages, to this and how'd you deal with it?

The advantage is that my academic background puts me in a unique place at Rotman. Not many of us have multiple masters, especially in sciences. I think there were five of us, in the entire program in my year? So firms that look for graduate degrees in sciences also definitely took an interest in me. Firms like Shift Health or IMS, while not making an MSc a requirement, definitely do look for those.

The disadvantage is definitely the lack of work experience, as I came into the program with zero corporate experience. The tough part was that Rotman's average work experience hovers around four years, so recruiters look for that too.

How I dealt with it... just spinning whatever experiences I have. For example, my MSc was a research-focused degree, so I talked about my thesis like it was project management (in a sense, it was). I was also one of the more experienced TAs during my time in my masters, so I talked about managing "co-workers", "leading groups of people", etc.

And as I mentioned in this thread before, I did a crap ton of coffee chats to get my story across. Worked with some, didn't with others.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi,

Could someone please evaluate my profile for Rotman and any suggestion for other schools i could target would be most helpful.

Background and nationality - Indian / Male / Engineer
Undergrad Information - B.tech in Electronics and communication, with 7.3/10 GPA.
GMAT: To be done in next 15-20 days
Work experience and leadership -
1) 1 year at a leading NBFC as Technical manager digital technologies and innovations. Working with new age tech like Augmented reality,iot etc. Probable promotion by next year. Heading a 8 member team and liasons with startups/vendors for innovations and project delivery.
2) 4.5 years at Tata Consultancy with 4 promotions. Worked up from Developer to technical manager heading a team of 22 members managing product development.
-Youngest Lead in the team.
-Multiple performance awards.
- Part of C level meetings and consulting

Community and others -
1. Part of Work CSR application team for Kumbh Mela Organisers (Large festival in india with over 50 million attendees)
2. Co-founder of a Food delivery service in college
3. Co-organiser for stalls in college national level tech fest, resulting in a 100% YOY increase in revenue
2. Member of dramatics and toast masters club
3. NCC and Red cross member
4. Speaks 4 Indian languages

Post MBA goals
1. Initial pplans - Consulting and strategy
2. Long term goal - CTO / Technology leadership in F500

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jigglypuff wrote:
plk10 wrote:

The advantage is that my academic background puts me in a unique place at Rotman. Not many of us have multiple masters, especially in sciences. I think there were five of us, in the entire program in my year? So firms that look for graduate degrees in sciences also definitely took an interest in me. Firms like Shift Health or IMS, while not making an MSc a requirement, definitely do look for those.

The disadvantage is definitely the lack of work experience, as I came into the program with zero corporate experience. The tough part was that Rotman's average work experience hovers around four years, so recruiters look for that too.

How I dealt with it... just spinning whatever experiences I have. For example, my MSc was a research-focused degree, so I talked about my thesis like it was project management (in a sense, it was). I was also one of the more experienced TAs during my time in my masters, so I talked about managing "co-workers", "leading groups of people", etc.

And as I mentioned in this thread before, I did a crap ton of coffee chats to get my story across. Worked with some, didn't with others.

That's great to hear - I'm definitely on the short side of the experience too (2.5ish) so will need to sell myself hard and demonstrate that the quality made up for the lack of quantity.

For consulting, was the GMAT a differentiating factor? I'm considering re-writing it before the program begins at the end of this month. Wrote it with a month and a bit of prep so definitely think I can do better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Kudos