GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please explain SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Please explain SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 20:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

I am having trouble with SCs. Can someone please help explain the following?

According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school.

a)
b) as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school
c) the number of female students is as many as that of male students currently enrolled in medical school
d) as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school
e) female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school

The answer is B.

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Re: Please explain SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 02:27
pinnella wrote:
I am having trouble with SCs. Can someone please help explain the following?

According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school.

a)
b) as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school
c) the number of female students is as many as that of male students currently enrolled in medical school
d) as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school
e) female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school

The answer is B.

B is the most concise and best in comparison to other choices which have problems. On GMAT equivalent is used in the strictest sense. the number is equivalent means its as much as or as near as but not the same as. Quotin from the OG " equivalent is too broad and vague a term for comparing groups of people" Similarly for equal OG saye" Equal is generally used for uncountable quantities, such as equal justice, not countable quantities such as people".
Similarly D uses as great as to compare numbers which is bad usage. great is used for extent. C uses that of unneccesarily.
Ref Verbal review Q 92
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 07:34
thank you, hibloom. Your explaination is really helpful.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 09:03
Why is E wrong here?

What if E had equal number as opposed to equal numbers?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 12:09
In E in addition to the doubtful use of equal as mentioned in the OG, if we use number in place of numbers it will lead to SV error
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 12:22
hibloom wrote:
In E in addition to the doubtful use of equal as mentioned in the OG, if we use number in place of numbers it will lead to SV error

Thanks I missed that you quoted Q 92 from OG. I will check it

The subject is F & M students. verb is are. Where is the S-V disagreement? Number(s) is not the subject. is it??
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 12:45
I really did nt know how to explain this and i just wrote SV error I did nt actually mean that.but this something like which Erin in TM explained that we would normally say "we create memories of things" not "we create memory of things"

similarly here we would have said

F and M students are in equal numbers not equal number

However I feel if we had said

F and M students are equal in number it would have been fine

Hope i made some sense

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Re: Please explain SC &nbs [#permalink] 20 Nov 2008, 12:45

Please explain SC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap