GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 05:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
User avatar
P
Status: Chasing my MBB Dream!
Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Posts: 1100
Location: United States (DC)
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2014, 00:22
5
19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:13) correct 52% (01:20) wrong based on 748 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school


A. the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school

B. as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school

C. the number of female students is as many as that of male students

D. as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school

E. female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school

_________________
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 157
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Sep 2014, 19:25
2
4
Gnpth wrote:
NEW PROJECT!: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point


According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school
a) the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school
b) as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school
c) the number of female students is as many as that of male students
d) as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school
e) female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school


Equivalent is used for non-countable noun ( equivalent in amount, value...). A is incorrect. As for C, The number..... as many as.... the number, we cannot use the number together with "many"--> C is incorrect. D and E are awkward. B is the most idiomatic in this case. " as many as". So B is the answer.
_________________
.........................................................................
+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Originally posted by vad3tha on 03 Aug 2014, 02:05.
Last edited by vad3tha on 23 Sep 2014, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 98
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2014, 23:07
3
1
[quote="Gnpth"]
NEW PROJECT!: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point


According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school
a) the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school
b) as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school
c) the number of female students is as many as that of male students
d) as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school
e) female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school[/quot

B is the best choice.
A)the number cannot be equivalent to the other number.
the number of x is equal to the number of Y.
C) number+many--> redundancy
D) as great as, equivalent to----> used with uncountable nouns
E) female and male students enrolled in equal number-----> seems that equal number is the name of a major!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Posts: 149
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 01:07
1
equivalent in A makes it little awkward.

equivalent means aa person or thing equal to another in value, measure, force or effect.

in A if in place of equivalent, equal was used then this might be a valid option.

Correct me if I am wrong.
_________________
Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Posts: 36
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 06:36
Correct me if I’m wrong - “the number of female students...the number of male students currently enrolled..” isn’t a proper comparison, hence A is wrong.

B - is a proper comparison with amount of “male students vs female students” and as..as idiom use is proper as well.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4258
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 07:09
1
syedazeem3 wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong - “the number of female students...the number of male students currently enrolled..” isn’t a proper comparison, hence A is wrong.

B - is a proper comparison with amount of “male students vs female students” and as..as idiom use is proper as well.

Posted from my mobile device


You are right, partly. Numbers cannot be equivalent to each other. We use the word equivalent to show a large degree of similarity.

For example,

The amount of time I spent on preparing for the GMAT is equivalent to that spent on learning how to code.

This is fine because time is a non-countable quantity.

However if you say something like:

The number of hours I spent on preparing for the GMAT is equivalent to that spent on learning how to code.

This is NOT correct.

5 cannot be equivalent to 5 or 5.0000001

5 must be equal to 5 and unequal to 6.
_________________
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58384
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 01:45
Gnpth wrote:
According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school


A. the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school

B. as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school

C. the number of female students is as many as that of male students

D. as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school

E. female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school



KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:



The initial sentence is certainly wordy, but look for specific problems that you can fix. Let's start with the terms describing the number. You're given several options: the number... is equivalent to, as many female as male students, the number... is as many as, as great as the number..., and the students are enrolled in equal numbers. Options (C) and (D) are grammatically incorrect because each uses the wrong idiom to describe the number. None of the remaining choices is grammatically incorrect, so focus on their expression. Answer choice (B) is clearly the most succinct option, and since it is still faithful to the original meaning of the sentence, it is the correct choice as well.
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 113
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2018, 18:07
1
Bunuel wrote:
Gnpth wrote:
According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school


A. the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school

B. as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school

C. the number of female students is as many as that of male students

D. as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school

E. female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school



KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:



The initial sentence is certainly wordy, but look for specific problems that you can fix. Let's start with the terms describing the number. You're given several options: the number... is equivalent to, as many female as male students, the number... is as many as, as great as the number..., and the students are enrolled in equal numbers. Options (C) and (D) are grammatically incorrect because each uses the wrong idiom to describe the number. None of the remaining choices is grammatically incorrect, so focus on their expression. Answer choice (B) is clearly the most succinct option, and since it is still faithful to the original meaning of the sentence, it is the correct choice as well.


Hi Bunuel

"B. as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school"

However I found B tempting, I found a very subtle flaw. In B, it seems like "the number of male students" are being compared with "the number of female(not female students)". I have found similar traps in 700-800 level questions.
Will "students" be considered followed by "female" as well ? What is the rule for this.

Sorry if I seem to be fretting about small things!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 22 Sep 2018
Posts: 240
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 18:37
Gnpth wrote:
According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school


A. the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school

B. as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school

C. the number of female students is as many as that of male students

D. as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school

E. female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school


Incorrectly selected E. Please let me know why my though process is incorrect.

A) The number of female medical students is compared to the number of medical students enrolled in medical school. We do not know if the number of female students is the total number of students in HISTORY or or the total number enrolled now.
B) As many female AS male students, sounds like female is being compared to male.
C) Removing "currently enrolled" changes meaning.
D) As great as the number is incorrect. It should be as many as X students.
E) Correct.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 113
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 03:47
Dear Gurus,

"B. as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school"

However I found B tempting, I found a very subtle flaw. In B, it seems like "the number of male students" are being compared with "the number of female(not female students)". I have found similar traps in 700-800 level questions.
Will "students" be considered followed by "female" as well ? What is the rule for this.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Dec 2017
Posts: 503
Location: United States (KS)
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 21:06
Quote:
The number of hours I spent on preparing for the GMAT is equivalent to that spent on learning how to code.

This is NOT correct.


I don't think it is incorrect. Yes I agree the meaning is very restricted and precise.
In the mentioned statement, The number of hours is exactly the same. The person spent exact number of hours on preparation of GMAT and on learning how to code. (Like literal comparison).

Just like saying: I have fewer than 20$ in my pocket, meaning I have literally less than 20$ bills in my pocket.

generis sorry to tag you. Can you confirm? or any other expert?

Thank you!
_________________
“Practice is the hardest part of learning, and training is the essence of transformation.” ― Ann Voskamp
Software Tester currently in USA ( ;-) )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Posts: 253
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Premium Member
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 23:10
Another reason why A is wrong is because it is redundant. There are only medical students in a medical school. Therefore, saying that the number of female medical students is equal to the number of male medical students in the medical school becomes redundant and renders the choice incorrect.
_________________

Vaibhav



Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 73
Location: India
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.22
CAT Tests
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 02:06
Gnpth wrote:
According to the enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools, the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school


A. the number of female medical students is equivalent to the number of male medical students currently enrolled in medical school

B. as many female as male students are currently enrolled in medical school

C. the number of female students is as many as that of male students

D. as great as the number of female is the number of male students currently enrolled in medical school

E. female and male students are currently enrolled in equal numbers in medical school



Though I chose B as the option. ....Had difficulty eliminating E..........Can someone clarify the issue with E other than awkwardness??
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2019, 02:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to enrollment statistics published by U.S. medical schools

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne