Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [7]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Shiv2016, I think part of the confusion is that there's a typo in the OP: there's no comma before the "and" in the OG version of this question. Here's the corrected version:

Quote:
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised
(B) than those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising
(C) than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising
(D) as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south hurt crops and therefore raise
(E) as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising

So (B) is correct, and the comma is a non-issue. :)

Quote:
Also can this be a correct version of this sentence?

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago.

In real life, your sentence would be completely fine, in my opinion. But if we're being really strict and literal with this particular OG question, it's definitely not ideal: it sounds like we're comparing the prices themselves to last year, and that's not logical. More importantly, there's a better alternative available that makes the comparison much clearer: "Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than those of a year ago..." The correct version sharpens the comparison between old prices and new prices.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a [#permalink]
Arlene0504 wrote:
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised
(B) than those of a year ago, and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising
(C) than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising
(D) as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south hurt crops and therefore raise
(E) as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising

OG2017 SC758

daagh, @Experts,

What does "those of" stand in option B.

(B) than those of a year ago, and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising

If it were just "THOSE" i would have understood. But i am not able to understand how "those of" stands for "prices"
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [6]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ammuseeru wrote:
Arlene0504 wrote:

OG2017 SC758

daagh, @Experts,

What does "those of" stand in option B.

If it were just "THOSE" i would have understood. But i am not able to understand how "those of" stands for "prices"

"Those" is a plural pronoun, so it has to refer to a plural noun, right? Well, the only plural noun that comes before "those" is "prices," so there's nothing else it could possibly refer to! If you're unsure about the logic, simply replace "those" with "prices" and see if the sentence makes sense.

"Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than [prices] of a year ago..."

Sounds okay to me! So we've got confirmation that "those" does indeed refer to "prices."

(It seems as though you were thrown off by the presence of the preposition "of." All it's doing in the above sentence is modifying "prices." Which prices? The ones of a year ago. It plays the exact same role in the construction "those of a year ago.")

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 2.36
Send PM
Can't we say there is an error of comparison in A and C. We can't compare price with an year. To compare similar entities we need those.

daagh wrote:
First thing: Please look into transcription; corn and soybean prices should not be underlined.

For those who want to go into the complicated process finding the nuances in meaning created by ellipsis, they can do that; but before that one should ensure that one can eliminate as many choices as possible on grammar alone. IMO, this problem can be easily solved without bothering about the differences in meaning of comparison. We can forthwith dispense with D and E for using the ‘as’ comparator instead of the ‘than’ comparator. Among A, B and C:

A: than a year ago and are going down, even though floods I the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised --- are hurting and raised are blatant shift of tense. So gone.
B: than those of a year ago, and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising ---Grammatically good
C: than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising—This is a fragment; the conjunction ‘and’ creates confusion as to what are hurting crops and raising. They seem to point to the subject the sentence prices at producer level;

As a foot-note, I wish to add a small comment by no less than Ron on this
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 32362.html

Quote:
RonPurewal wrote: both versions are fine.
I looked at the problem, and—just as I suspected—the choices with '...than a year ago' can be eliminated for other, quite straightforward, reasons.

Don’t forget—the OG answer keys are usually incomplete, and often incorrect.
The official PROBLEMS are essentially flawless, but the official answer keys are not. (GMAC's all-stars, the people who write the problems, do not write the answer keys; GMAC 'outsources' that work to people of lesser talent, presumably to cut costs.)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
swati7garg wrote:
Can't we say there is an error of comparison in A and C. We can't compare price with an year.

Hi Swati, even the official explanation says so!

However, I feel this is not the case, since A and C are correctly comparing two time zones (now and one year ago).

A case in point is the following correct official sentence:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last.

Again, the above sentence is comparing two time zones (this year and last year).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
hello, anyone knows that in option B "are hurting crops and therefore raising" ,what does "raising" mean? If it is a verb form, there should have "are" , so the sentence should be "are hurting crops and therefore are raising.."; or is it a modifier ? but it should modifier the noun right before it. I'm very confused...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
layla2019 wrote:
hello, anyone knows that in option B "are hurting crops and therefore raising" ,what does "raising" mean? If it is a verb form, there should have "are" , so the sentence should be "are hurting crops and therefore are raising.."; or is it a modifier ? but it should modifier the noun right before it. I'm very confused...
Raising is part of the verb are raising, because are is "common" to both hurting and raising. We can read that portion of the sentence like this:

B ... floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising corn and soybean prices.

floods and drought
(a) are hurting crops
and
(b) are therefore raising prices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
[quote="Arlene0504"]Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

(B) than those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising

Price can be compared with price not a year so (A) and (C) are wrong
You draw similarity using as eg Krishna is as tall as Dhanush. We do not say Krishna is as taller than those of Dhanush. So (D) & (E) are wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry, GMATNinja

Wanted to check one thing:
- Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago.
- Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than those of a year ago

Both are fine, right? I didn't find it wrong and thus, did not use this comparison as a split.

I agree that the following sentence will be incorrect:
- Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than last year.

Please guide.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago - Just reading this part, there are two interpretations:
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than (prices were at the producer level) a year ago - Conveys correct meaning
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than (prices were 1.3 percent higher) a year ago - Conveys incorrect meaning
Any answer choice needs to correct this error first.

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised - For reason above

(B) than those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising - corrects the error in option (A) by suggesting specifically referring to prices at the producer level using pronoun 'those'

(C) than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising = Same reason as (A)

(D) as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south hurt crops and therefore raise - unidiomatic use of 'higher as' instead of 'higher than'

(E) as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising - changes the meaning by suggesting that, 'the prices were 1.3% higher as the prices were a year ago'. The original sentence doesn't convey that the prices at the producer level were 1.3% higher a year ago'
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
zoezhuyan, I agree with my colleague Ron Purewal (cited above) that the comparisons in A and C aren't necessarily faulty. There are other reasons to eliminate those choices. However, I want to make a slight correction to your analysis above. Your use of "that of" or "those of" in parentheses makes it appear that the implied comparison is between two nouns. Actually, your choices should read ("they were") or ("it was"). The comparison is actually between two adverbial modifiers. Prices are different now than they were last year. This is important because I can't say something like this:

American crows are larger today than in ancient China.

If we filled in "those," this might make sense: "American crows are larger today than those (crows) in ancient China." However, the actual implied meaning here is a comparison between two modifiers: "today" and "in ancient China." "American crows are larger today than (they were) in ancient China." This would make it seem that American crows existed in ancient China!

thank you. I think both cases are correct but both cases do not contain any verb in the second clause. so, we can not infer "they were" or "those were" but we must infer "they are" and 'those are'. this form of verb is incorrect.

many official questions test the verb of the second clause. these questions test this point.

so, what is your opinion on "were/are".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 360
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi! GMATNinja egmat
I have arrived at the correct option B after eliminating other choices for at least 1 error in each of them. However, As per OG's explanation, option D contains a tense mismatch between 'Hurt' (Simple past tense) and 'Raise' (Simple present tense). I don't understand how they interpreted 'Hurt' as simple past tense instead of simple present tense. Can anyone please explain this? Is there any parallelism error in Option D?
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Wrong comparison

Wrong comparison

Incorrect usage of “as”

Incorrect usage of “as”

Posted from my mobile device
GMATNinja wrote:
Shiv2016, I think part of the confusion is that there's a typo in the OP: there's no comma before the "and" in the OG version of this question. Here's the corrected version:

Quote:

So (B) is correct, and the comma is a non-issue. :)

Quote:
Also can this be a correct version of this sentence?

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago.

In real life, your sentence would be completely fine, in my opinion. But if we're being really strict and literal with this particular OG question, it's definitely not ideal: it sounds like we're comparing the prices themselves to last year, and that's not logical. More importantly, there's a better alternative available that makes the comparison much clearer: "Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than those of a year ago..." The correct version sharpens the comparison between old prices and new prices.

GMATNinja
So, in the highlighted part, the 'at the producer level' is an 'ellipsis', right?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
saichandrateja wrote:
Hi! GMATNinja egmat
I have arrived at the correct option B after eliminating other choices for at least 1 error in each of them. However, As per OG's explanation, option D contains a tense mismatch between 'Hurt' (Simple past tense) and 'Raise' (Simple present tense). I don't understand how they interpreted 'Hurt' as simple past tense instead of simple present tense. Can anyone please explain this? Is there any parallelism error in Option D?

Yet another example of why you should be wary of the explanations in the Official Guides! (For more on that, check out this post.)

"Hurt" could be either simple past ("They hurt their arms playing baseball yesterday.") or simple present ("Insults hurt my feelings."). That said, consider these two examples:

• "Insults hurt my feelings." - Insults happen, and when they do happen, they hurt my feelings. Are they happening right now? Maybe, maybe not.
  • "Your insults are hurting my feelings." - Now we get the sense that someone is currently insulting me -- the insulting is happening now (as opposed to being a thing that can sometimes happen).

Back to this question. I'd argue that "are hurting" is a bit better than "hurt" in this case. By using the simple present tense ("Floods hurt crops."), it sounds like we are making a general statement without actually indicating whether floods are hurting the crops at the moment. Because we are talking about a current effect of the floods on prices, it makes more sense to use "are hurting" to make it clear that this action is currently happening.

And I think the parallelism is okay in (D) -- it's pretty much the same as the parallelism in (B).

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
{...}

GMATNinja
So, in the highlighted part, the 'at the producer level' is an 'ellipsis', right?

Yes, given the context, it makes sense for the pronoun "those" to refer to "prices at the producer level" -- we are comparing prices at the producer level now to prices at the producer level a year ago.

Again, context is key, and we could easily have a similar sentence where the "those" should NOT include the prepositional phrase ("at the producer level"). For example:

"Prices at the producer level are higher than those at the distributor level."

Obviously it wouldn't make any sense to compare "prices at the producer level" to "prices at the producer level at the distributor level," so it's clear that "those" only refers to "prices" in this case.

thecoronafever wrote:
mikemcgarry, GMATNinja

Wanted to check one thing:
- Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago.
- Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than those of a year ago

Both are fine, right? I didn't find it wrong and thus, did not use this comparison as a split.

I agree that the following sentence will be incorrect:
- Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than last year.

Please guide.

Sorry for the late reply, but hopefully you stumbled across our earlier post addressing this very question!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 327
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V21
Send PM
Arlene0504 wrote:

GMAT® Official Guide 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 758
Page: 700

Producer Level

(A) Comparison (X higher than Y); Verb / Meaning (raised)

(B) CORRECT

(C) Comparison (X higher than Y); Structure / Meaning

(D) Comparison (X higher as Y)

(E) Comparison (X higher as Y); Structure / Meaning

First glance

The first word switches between than and as. The sentence will contain a comparison; should the comparison idiom use than or as?

Issues

(1) Comparison: X higher than Y; X higher as Y

The first three answers use than and the final two use as. Which should it be? Also, check that the comparison is an apples-to-apples comparison.

The correct idiom is either higher than or as high as. This sentence uses higher, so the correct pairing must be than. Eliminate answers (D) and (E).

Prices at the producer level are higher now

(A) than a year ago

(B) than those of a year ago

(C) than a year ago

What are the remaining answers comparing? Answers (A) and (C) compare now to a year ago. Answer (B) compares prices now to those (prices) of a year ago. While it can be acceptable to compare timeframes (as in OG 2017 #772 / OG 2016 #104 “this year” and “last [year]”), the more precise comparison in this problem is between the two prices: prices now versus prices of a year ago.

Answer (B) makes the proper comparison. Eliminate (A) and (C).

(2) Verb / Meaning: are hurting and therefore raised

The sentence is trying to convey a certain sequence of events: floods and drought are hurting crops and therefore causing something else to happen. This second event is caused by the first; therefore, this second event should take place at the same time as or later in time than the first event.

If crops are being hurt right now in the present, then it’s illogical to indicate that the consequence (raised prices) took place in the past. Eliminate answer (A).

(3) Structure / Meaning: and are hurting crops

Answers (C) and (E) both insert an and just before are hurting. What consequences does this have for the sentence structure?

Fix: The core sentences read:

(C) Prices are higher now than a year ago and are hurting crops…

(E) Prices are higher now as they were a year ago and are hurting crops…

In both cases, parallelism dictates that the subject prices must pair with the verb are hurting. In other words, the sentence indicates that the current prices are hurting crops. This is illogical. The floods and drought, not the prices, are hurting crops.

Eliminate answers (C) and (E) for faulty meaning.

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (B) makes a valid comparison between prices now and those (prices) of a year ago. It also clearly conveys the sequence of events: floods…and drought are…hurting crops now, and therefore (are) raising prices (also now).

*Note: the official explanation indicates that the word hurt, in answer (D), is in the simple past. The word hurt can also be simple present: floods and drought hurt crops (today or in general in the present) and therefore raise prices (again, today or in general). Answer (D) is still incorrect, but not for this particular reason stated in the official explanation.

Logical predication; Verb form

The sentence as written makes an illogical comparison between prices at the producer level and a time period (a year ago); surely the intended comparison is between such prices now and those of a year ago. The clause at the end of the sentence states that flooding and a drought are hurting crops, and as a result of this, they have raised prices of certain crops. Are hurting is in the present progressive tense, indicating an ongoing process; raised is in the simple past tense, indicating a completed action. It would be more appropriate to use the present progressive tense here as well, [are] raising.

(D) The comparative adjective higher requires the comparative term than instead of as; the tenses of the verbs in the latter half of the sentence, hurt (simple past) and raise (simple present), do not work together logically.

Though there are errors in other choices.
But in choice B when I fill the pronoun with prices it doesn't make much sense to me-

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now [u]than (were) prices of a year ago and are going down,......

Doesn't the later part read as prices of a year?
Or my understanding is incorrect ?

Please help
VeritasKarishma @e-gmat SaraiGMAT
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts