It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 06:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 49

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 04:19
souvik101990
Option B contains a comma before "and" that is incorrect, confirmed with OG 2017 SC no 758.
This comma leads to option "B" be deemed as incorrect because preposition "and" doesn't link two independent clauses.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 49

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 274

Premium Member CAT Tests
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 22:44
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

1) Prices.........are and are going down
2) floods in the Midwest and drought in the south ..........are hurting

Meaning:
Prices are higher this year and are now going down even though floods and drought are hurting crops. This has raised corn and soybean prices.

Error:
Use of 'raised is wrong as this is simple past tense whereas the whole sentence is in present continuous tense. It does make sense.

Option B corrects this error.

Note: 'As' is used to show an extent or degree of something while making comparison. So using 'as' here is non-sensical.
Even though and despite can be used interchangeably.

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Director
Director
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 23:05
Alexey1989x wrote:
souvik101990
Option B contains a comma before "and" that is incorrect, confirmed with OG 2017 SC no 758.
This comma leads to option "B" be deemed as incorrect because preposition "and" doesn't link two independent clauses.

Hi GMAT Ninja and other experts
It would be great if you could answer this.

Why the correct sentence uses a comma before and? As far as I know, this construction is used to connect two independent clause.

Here they can be:
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than those of a year ago.

Prices at the producer level are going down.

The subject prices has two verbs are and are going down. And we use just a conjunction 'and' to connect verbs of the same subject. Then why a comma?

Also can this be a correct version of this sentence?

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago.

Thanks

Director
Director
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 23:07
Hello experts

I have posted my query and need some clarity on use of 'comma+and' construction in this sentence.

Thanks

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 205

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 10:27
I have in my notes that we don't have to use comma to connect two clauses when the subject is the same, although I did not write down the source. Someone should confirm this :)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 205

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1238 [1], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The simple answer is that the GMAT is not consistent on this. Keep in mind that comma usage is generally not tested directly. The one absolute rule you *can* rely on is that you can't join two independent clauses with *only* a comma, as in "I like pie, it is tasty." You always need a conjunction or a semicolon.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1238 [1], given: 29

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1903 [0], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 11:04
Expert's post
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Shiv2016, I think part of the confusion is that there's a typo in the OP: there's no comma before the "and" in the OG version of this question. Here's the corrected version:

Quote:
Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised corn and soybean prices.

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised
(B) than those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising
(C) than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising
(D) as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south hurt crops and therefore raise
(E) as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising

So (B) is correct, and the comma is a non-issue. :)

Quote:

In real life, your sentence would be completely fine, in my opinion. But if we're being really strict and literal with this particular OG question, it's definitely not ideal: it sounds like we're comparing the prices themselves to last year, and that's not logical. More importantly, there's a better alternative available that makes the comparison much clearer: "Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than those of a year ago..." The correct version sharpens the comparison between old prices and new prices.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1903 [0], given: 454

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 236

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 09:29

(A) than a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raised
(B) than those of a year ago, and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising
(C) than a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising
(D) as those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south hurt crops and therefore raise
(E) as they were a year ago and are going down, despite floods in the Midwest and drought in the south, and are hurting crops and therefore raising

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 236

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 124

Schools: ISB '18
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 12:38
GMATNinja wrote:
Shiv2016, I think part of the confusion is that there's a typo in the OP: there's no comma before the "and" in the OG version of this question. Here's the corrected version:

Quote:

(B) than those of a year ago and are going down, even though floods in the Midwest and drought in the south are hurting crops and therefore raising

So (B) is correct, and the comma is a non-issue. :)

Quote:

In real life, your sentence would be completely fine, in my opinion. But if we're being really strict and literal with this particular OG question, it's definitely not ideal: it sounds like we're comparing the prices themselves to last year, and that's not logical. More importantly, there's a better alternative available that makes the comparison much clearer: "Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now than those of a year ago..." The correct version sharpens the comparison between old prices and new prices.

GMATNinja Can you please explain why is the below mentioned answer choice of the official question correct, although it uses the structure which seems to present a comparision between prices and last year.

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last because refiners are paying about $5 a barrel more for crude oil than they were

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 124

Re: Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2017, 12:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

Prices at the producer level are only 1.3 percent higher now

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap