GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 08:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Ace the EMBA

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Learn how to create an outstanding application for top EMBA programs from an EMBA admissions expert.
  • Now accepting requests for consultations for 2019-2020!

February 22, 2019

February 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

The Vantage Point MBA team is now accepting requests for consultations for the 2019-2020 appplication season. We look forward to hearing from you!

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 02:01
Hi Everyone,

I am aspiring to get admitted into a top B-School in 2020 and need some consultation regarding the same. Here is a brief description of my profile.

GMAT (2016, 1st attempt): 750 (Q50 , V41, IR7, AWA5)
Undergraduate degree: Manufacturing Process and Automation Engineering, NSIT, New Delhi in 2016. GPA of 2.7/4.0; high extracurricular
During college time I worked with Red Bull as Student Brand Manager for 2.5 years, paid
Work experience: Axtria Consulting from 2016-2018 as an Associate in Gurgaon
2019 - joined MakeMyTrip as a Senior Executive - Online Product, data analytics on customer journey and engagement, will move to product manager profile in next 4-5
months

I would really appreciate if you could guide me regarding the schools i should aim at and things I should pursue that would increase my chances in landing a better college.

Thank you so much for the help.

Regards,
Akshit Khandelwal
Director
Director
P
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 09:53
Hello Akshit24

The good-
1. GMAT score- this is a good score for most schools and will help you prove your academic credential.
2. Years of Work Experience- by the time you begin the course, you will be in the sweet spot for most schools (~4-5 years). However, remember that work ex is not measured in just years, but rather the depth/quality of work experience.

The bad-
1. Undergrad CGPA look quite low and can be a deal breaker for some top schools. Your GMAT might be able to compensate for this in some schools though. This can be a factor in selection of schools, as you do not want to select schools that are finicky about undergrad scores.
2. As an Indian Male Engineer, you belong to a large and competitive pool of applicants and will need a lot of qualitative strengths to stand out and showcase diversity. This is what brings me to the next point.

The unknown-
1. Professional Experience- Unlike academics, work ex is not measured quantitatively. More than years, role and industry you will need to focus on impact Career progress and achievements at work.
2. Extracurricular- The Red Bull experience sounds interesting. But more than a bullet point, it will matter what sort of accomplishments have you had here. If done well this could help you showcase diversity. Sadly, no other extracurricular activities are mentioned. Get involved in some meaningful activities.
3. Career Goals- No mention of long term/short term career goals and why an MBA is the most logical step to achieve these goals. More importantly, you are already due to move into a Product Management role- one of the most sought after role post MBA. What are your other preferences in terms of geography, industry etc. Clear, specific and realistic career goals play the biggest role (by far) in selection of right schools.

You may want to read here to know what to focus on to build your profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Akshit24 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am aspiring to get admitted into a top B-School in 2020 and need some consultation regarding the same. Here is a brief description of my profile.

GMAT (2016, 1st attempt): 750 (Q50 , V41, IR7, AWA5)
Undergraduate degree: Manufacturing Process and Automation Engineering, NSIT, New Delhi in 2016. GPA of 2.7/4.0; high extracurricular
During college time I worked with Red Bull as Student Brand Manager for 2.5 years, paid
Work experience: Axtria Consulting from 2016-2018 as an Associate in Gurgaon
2019 - joined MakeMyTrip as a Senior Executive - Online Product, data analytics on customer journey and engagement, will move to product manager profile in next 4-5
months

I would really appreciate if you could guide me regarding the schools i should aim at and things I should pursue that would increase my chances in landing a better college.

Thank you so much for the help.

Regards,
Akshit Khandelwal

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Director
Director
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 05:33
Hi Akshit24,

Happy to help! We like to break different aspects of the application into the following buckets to make everything clearer.

GMAT – You have got 750 score. This falls above the median range for top B-Schools that you can target.

Work Experience – You have got a good amount of work experience. Since your an Indian male from IT background, it is important to not just reiterate the job profile that you have. It is imperative to showcase the achievements and the awesome things that you have done, the initiatives you have taken, the awards you have received etc.

Education – This is something that is written in stone and you cannot change. You have a GPA that is a bit below the average class statistics. The optional essay can be a good place to address this and tell some reasons that affected your performance.

Extra Curricular – You seem to have good extracurricular activities. Make sure you bring them out effectively in your essays. Make sure that you bring out your hobbies, voluntary work and achievements outside work in this area. This section tells the ADCOM about your overall personality and helps them relate to a person instead of a resume.
OR
It would be helpful if you can tell us more about your extracurricular activities.

Considering the details you have provided above, there are plenty of things missing out to gauge your chances of B-Schools to target.

Finally, we could help you in a better way if you can answer the following questions.
1. What are your post-MBA goals?
2. Are you targeting 1 year or 2-year programs?
3. Do you have any specific geography in mind?

Else, you can try our unique tool called " B-School Selector" to know your chances.

General Education
Empowering Intellect

Predict your admission chances at Top B-Schools

w: https://www.genedmba.com/

m:+91 9164157770
e: info@genedmba.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 20:48
Echoing some of the thoughts here Akshit24:
  1. The GMAT will be your clear strong point. However, that GPA looks worryingly low (?). If that be the case, analyze further on whether some action is needed there. Read here.
  2. The transition to MMT sounds good and into PM role will be even better - I am assuming some of your peers in that role will already be MBAs? If yes, that's always a good thing to showcase. You'd have to explain the reason for transition from consulting into this however to make sure you get sufficient mileage.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we don't speculate on school selection. However, given the fairly recent transition into MMT above, it may be worth thinking of whether you should invest another year and build a more coherent profile.
  4. Finally, the ECs arc looks absent after college? Read here on why it matters.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2019, 20:48

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap