GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 09:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Profile Evaluation - 690 GMAT, 26 year old, Insurance/Sales background

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 690 Q40 V44
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.14
GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation - 690 GMAT, 26 year old, Insurance/Sales background  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 08:08
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my profile.

Work experience:
-Currently work 1.3 years for Marsh (MMC) as an Insurance Broker - place Financial and Professional Liability insurance for Fortune 100 companies; analyze their financial metrics on a daily basis (may use this to combat low GMAT Quant score); compile presentations and proposals to present to client's CIO, Risk Manager, CFO, etc.
-Previous: 2.8 years for small insurance broker firm in similar insurance lines; multiple promotions; interviewed/hired/trained assistant(s)

Undergrad: Duke University - Public Policy Major, Markets and Management Certificate
GPA: 3.1
-During undergrad, worked as RA for 3.5 years at Fuqua School of Business working with Marketing professors on their research projects. So have personal relationships with various marketing professors --> could this be beneficial towards Fuqua application?
GMAT: 690 (Q40, V44)
Leadership/engagement: Memeber of steering committee at work for Young Professionals Consumer Reserach Group - Activities Chair responsible for collaborative-culture building and commraderie within company
Previous: Activites Chair in Fraternity responsible for organizing and leading social recruiting events
Volunteer monthly; Participate in year-round basketball leagues as team orgranizer/captain.

Goals: Shift in career trajectory to new career in Marketing/Consumer Behaviour. Possibly within academia.

Target Schools: Duke, UNC, UT-Austin, Kellogg, Emory.

Adverse to re-taking GMAT, so initial thoughts are to apply with current submission and then assess whether it is necessary to re-take GMAT.
MBA Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Profile Evaluation - 690 GMAT, 26 year old, Insurance/Sales background  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2016, 16:03
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your information. How many times have you taken the GMAT? If you've only taken it once or twice, I'd encourage you to give it one more shot. Your GPA is low for your target programs, so you'll need to do more on your GMAT and a 690 just won't cut it - especially at Kellogg and Duke. Texas and Emory are also somewhat stretches with your academic profile, so a 700/710+ will really help you out.

Your work experience is pretty good, but I'm not seeing your leadership capacity. I know we're in a forum, so it's not ideal to share everything here, but note that demonstrating (not just saying) your leadership capacity is absolutely crucial. Your involvement seems to be in a good spot. Finally, I'm glad that you're thinking about your goals, however I think you can be a bit more clear about what you want to do. Your application is a vehicle to convince the AdComm that an MBA from their school is the ticket you need to accomplish your goals. Without specific goals, you will fall short of this task.

Hope this information helps. Also, feel free to check out our free resources to get you started. Best of luck this season!

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let us know!

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 690 Q40 V44
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.14
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation - 690 GMAT, 26 year old, Insurance/Sales background  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 07:25
Thanks for the feed back.

I have only taken the GMAT once, but am not totally opposed to taking it again. The preperation and actual test taking the first time was very stressful/difficult for me.

I took numerous practice MGMAT tests and was mid-600s every time, so although I only need 30 points better, I think that may be very tough to do. If I was to take it again, I'd most likely opt for a course that offers a money-back higher score guarantee. I'm sure if I better-figure out some of the math strategies, I can get a few more points in Quant.

Do you think the fact that I had an RA job at Fuqua for 3 or so years in undergrad (and thus, an existing relationship with some professors there) help me out any? I may be able to sell the why Duke question in my essays, as that is where I'm from, where I went to undergrad, and where I met/created relationships with great professors who sparked my interest/curiosity in pursuing an MBA.
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 11:15
It's definitely something that could work to your advantage. At the same time, schools like diversity in their classroom, so they can't just take everyone who has the benefit of existing relationships from a Duke undergrad. Essentially, others from a Duke background become your competition. The best thing for you to do at this stage would be to reach out to those you have a relationship with, express your interest and desire to pursue your MBA at Fuqua, and bounce ideas off of them in terms of how you see Fuqua playing a role in achieving your goals. Hope this helps! Let us know if you'd like to talk details about crafting your story. Best of luck!

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let us know!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation - 690 GMAT, 26 year old, Insurance/Sales background &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jan 2016, 11:15

Profile Evaluation - 690 GMAT, 26 year old, Insurance/Sales background

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap