GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 20:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation - Chemical Engineer

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q163 V157
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation - Chemical Engineer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 02:45
Hi,

I would really appreciate if someone can evaluate/review my profile. I am planning on applying to Alberta, Fuqua, Rotman, ISB, and Schulich so far.

GMAT - 710
GRE -320 (been 3 years)
TOEFL -109
GPA - 3.5 -4 (I am not very certain about the conversion scales available online but my college %age was 75.4 which is within the top 10% of my undergrad class)
College - Chemical Engineering major. Academics were solid all throughout except for a phase of illness where I could barely walk but took my semester exams to ensure I did not get a re-appear. As a result, I passed out of college with first-class honor. I was the "elected" Department Representative for my batch for a year and was the head convenor for the college fest and other intra-college activities like workshops/seminars.
Work Experience - ~ 6 years as Engineer/Project Manager in Oil and Gas licensing firm. I have extensive experience in dealing with customers/clients from all across the globe and frequently travel for customer interface meeting in the capacity of a Process Engineer during the early phase of my career and now as a Project Manager/Team Lead - leading a team of 3-4 engineers. I have 3 individual awards and two team awards at my current company and have always been the top elbow of the rating system. I have been promoted twice and have also worked as a coach/mentor for new engineers.
Co-Curricular/Community Service - Actively engaged in community service through Rotaract Club for about 3 years and eventually with the CSR initiative of my current employer. Captain of the company football/soccer team.

Vision - I have worked in the Petrochemicals and fuel sector of the energy industry and with the growing concerns on the unabated use of fossil fuels on the environment and the role of energy in dictating the world economies in the coming decades, I want to develop myself in a position where my decisions can help shape a more sustainable future. As a result, I am choosing schools which offer some sort of gateway to this future role.
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chemical Engineer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 04:02
Hi, please provide nationality, citizenship, gender, and age.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q163 V157
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 06:51
Hi

I am a 28 year old male from India.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2019, 23:52
A few thoughts on your profile evaluation Jalaj74:
  1. The academic arc looks decent; will be good to know the actual brand of your college. 75% is usually above average; if it was in top 10% of the class, make sure that adcoms know that. Do not convert - most schools do not ask for that.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, we don't speculate on school selection. What does the GRE score translate on the GMAT scale? 710 could be a bit modest - one can easily add 20-30 points to a given school's average to get a sense of the Indian GMAT average. For some of your current target schools, this could pose an issue.
  3. The work profile, and especially the managerial experience is great. Licensing however tends to be a middle office profile - so you'd have to make sure you bring out the impact of your work well. The future plans too should be crystallized further. O&G is not a big recruiter of international MBA grads; ditto for sustainability firms - have you done any research that shows otherwise?
  4. The Rotract and CSR bits sound good - do make sure you bring the right scale/impact for getting mileage though.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
VP
VP
G
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 03:31
Hi Jalaj74,

It is adequated for Indian aspirants to add 20+ points on schools average to have a firm grip to compete with similar profiles globally - it is good if you plan to take retake GMAT?
The academic cycle looks good, involving yourself as a head conveyor for the fest and intercollege has to noted in essays.
Working for energy sectors license firm, dealing with clients internationally and engaged activities like soccer and community service has to be put in picture for B schools adcom.

m:+91 9164157770
w: https://www.genedmba.com/
e: info@genedmba.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation - Chemical Engineer   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2019, 03:31

Profile Evaluation - Chemical Engineer

new topic post reply Update application status