Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request. Urgent help required! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pawanbell1989 wrote:
I am an Indian Mechanical Engineer with 7 years of work experience. 2 years in factory automation and 5 years in Oil and Gas (Drilling).

GMAT 690, low gpa 3.0. I have extra curricular activities under my belt such as having been in a band (I highly doubtful if this would ount though) and have participated in many marathons and long distance cycling races.

I wish to apply for a Marketing specialization, preferably a 15-18 month course.

Could the experts here please help me with selecting a few colleges in
1. Europe
2. Asia
3. Canada
4. USA

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device

HI PAwan,

seven years is long enough work experience, but that necessitates knowing the details- your career progression, achievement and impact at work, your future career aspirations.
Also your function is not clear- what do you do at work and why marketing? are you in a related field?

Your extra-curricular activities sound at a minimal right now. B-schools generally appreciate activities where you were able to create an impact on others as well.

Fill in the missing details and we will be more helpful with our advice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
pawanbell1989 wrote:
I am an Indian Mechanical Engineer with 7 years of work experience. 2 years in factory automation and 5 years in Oil and Gas (Drilling).

GMAT 690, low gpa 3.0. I have extra curricular activities under my belt such as having been in a band (I highly doubtful if this would ount though) and have participated in many marathons and long distance cycling races.

I wish to apply for a Marketing specialization, preferably a 15-18 month course.

1. Europe
2. Asia
3. Canada
4. USA

HI PAwan,

seven years is long enough work experience, but that necessitates knowing the details- your career progression, achievement and impact at work, your future career aspirations.
Also your function is not clear- what do you do at work and why marketing? are you in a related field?

Your extra-curricular activities sound at a minimal right now. B-schools generally appreciate activities where you were able to create an impact on others as well.

Hello, thank you for your time.
Basically, I have always been a field engineer working offshore on the rigs. I have been promoted 3 times during my 5 year stint at schlumberger and also been cross trained to perform different roles on the rig (one of the very few). My profile includes critical operations on the rigs, the potential losses of which run into millions. Thus i am used to working in high pressure environments.
In my initial years as a Project engineer in the factory automation industry. This involved end-to-end solutions for clients and execution of projects onsite within stipulated time periods.
I also have some experience starting up and running a company which manufactures products for the civil and real estate industry (I did this as a secondary job, with some primary partners involved).
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
pawanbell1989 wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
pawanbell1989 wrote:

1. Europe
2. Asia
3. Canada
4. USA

HI PAwan,

Hello, thank you for your time.
Basically, I have always been a field engineer working offshore on the rigs. I have been promoted 3 times during my 5 year stint at schlumberger and also been cross trained to perform different roles on the rig (one of the very few). My profile includes critical operations on the rigs, the potential losses of which run into millions. Thus i am used to working in high pressure environments.
In my initial years as a Project engineer in the factory automation industry. This involved end-to-end solutions for clients and execution of projects onsite within stipulated time periods.
I also have some experience starting up and running a company which manufactures products for the civil and real estate industry (I did this as a secondary job, with some primary partners involved).

Hi Pawan,
That sounds like a pretty awesome profile. I wish you all the best and would add that the higher you aim in terms of b-school ranking and reputation, the higher your GMAT
expectation would be. If you can retake with some more preparation, then its gonna definitely be worth it.

I am still wondering though, what is the trigger for seeking a marketing specialization. We will need to understand your post-MBA goals.
You will need a lot of clarity on your professional strengths and related career choices. The MBA goals essay is probably the most important essay you would have written in your entire life. MBA programs whether one year or two year long are highly rigorous and you are on a sprint from the first week itself. Knowing what you want from the MBA and beyond is crucial to spending your time productively while at the program. Therefore most adcoms ask the career goals question.

Feel free to reach out for a one-on-one discussion. It will help us understand your thought process better.
GMAT Club Bot