GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review - Indian Female, Background in Design Strategy

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Profile Review - Indian Female, Background in Design Strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 08:50
Hello,

It would be great if someone could take the time out to review my profile below:

Background:
- Indian, Female, 28
- Working in the market research industry as an Innovation Consultant with Kantar
- Bachelor in Product Design and Masters in Strategic Design Management from Top Design Schools in India

Work Experience
- Total experience - 3 Years
- 1.5 years of setting up a Not for Profit that aims at bringing creativity to public school classrooms. The program I designed is running in 100+ public schools
- Have been selected as a finalist for Commonwealth Youth Worker Award from Asia
- 1.5 years of experience as an innovation consultant helping businesses conduct user research and design new products and services

Goal
- To continue working in the innovation industry - products and technology
- Get a business know-how to be able to implement my role as a consultant better

What is the score I should aim for to get into the top 20 B schools?

Thanks!
Admission Consultant
P
Re: Profile Review - Indian Female, Background in Design Strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 04:58
shwetaroyc wrote:
Hello,

It would be great if someone could take the time out to review my profile below:

Background:
- Indian, Female, 28
- Working in the market research industry as an Innovation Consultant with Kantar
- Bachelor in Product Design and Masters in Strategic Design Management from Top Design Schools in India

Work Experience
- 1.5 years of setting up a Not for Profit that aims at bringing creativity to public school classrooms. The program I designed is running in 100+ public schools
- Have been selected as a finalist for Commonwealth Youth Worker Award from Asia
- 1.5 years of experience as an innovation consultant helping businesses conduct user research and design new products and services

Goal
- Get a business know-how to be able to implement my role as a consultant better

Thanks!

Hi Shweta,

The rule with GMAT is - the higher, the better. Aim for a 730+ - the burden of high GMAT is a lot more on Indians who comprise an over-represented category for business school admissions.

I didn't quite get the details of your work experience, which would be important if you are seeking a profile evaluation. You can write back with a break down of your jobs, what you did there, what were your biggest achievements and how your career progress has been.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Our new book on AMAZON Kindle: THE MOST DEFINITIVE GUIDE FOR MBA INTERVIEW PREPARATION

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 22:52
Hello shwetaroyc

You have some positives going for you in terms of work ex and diversity.
Although Indians in general are expected to score high on the GMAT, so I will recommend you a 720+.
However, since you do not belong to a large pool of applicants (namely, IT) you application and uniqueness of experience could be exploited to compensate a marginally lower score.
That is provided you put together stellar essays and bring out a good story. But to be on the safe side 720+ definitely.
Remember that top schools will look at all 6 admission factors mentioned here to evaluate yourcandidature.
Beyond that the info is more on the 'quantitative' side and to assess your profile in detail it would be helpful to know your 'qualitative' side as well. That is- Career Progression, Achievements at work, Extracurricular activities etc.
Should you feel the need to discuss your profile in detail, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

shwetaroyc wrote:
Hello,

Background:
- Indian, Female, 28

Work Experience

Goal

Thanks!

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 23:06
shwetaroyc wrote:
Hello,

Background:
- Indian, Female, 28

Work Experience

Goal

Thanks!

Hello shwetaroyc,

Thanks for posting here.

While we do not have details about your professional role, career progression, and achievements, we would suggest that you aim for a GMAT score upwards of 730. This is because as an Indian applicant, you belong to an over-represented pool of applicants and the GMAT expectations will always be higher from you. Moreover, this is also because you are applying to top notch programs :-)

Having said the above, the GMAT is only one component of the applications process and schools evaluate profiles holistically. Hence, your overall profile, highlighted through your essays, will also play an important role in determining your chances.

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, feel free to reach out to us.

Good Luck!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 05:51
Adding our 2 cents to this Shweta.

There isn't really a magic GMAT number; read here. Indians do tend to score much higher than a given school's GMAT average - take that as a general guideline if you need a target. Beyond that, sky's really the limit.

Also push for more granularity on your post-MBA plans; see if the article here helps.

All the best!

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 00:27
Top Contributor
shwetaroyc wrote:
Hello,

Background:
- Indian, Female, 28

Work Experience

Goal

Thanks!

Hi Shweta

Your profile seems excellent. There is a lot of differentiation there by way of the function you are working in, and your leadership experience in setting up processes for the non-profit is outstanding as well. Aim for a score of 720+ (740+ if possible) for the top 20, and look at schools such as Rotman, Darden, Columbia, Kellogg, MIT, and Ross, as they are known to have specific focus on innovation, design thinking, and product design as part of the MBA curriculum.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Review - Indian Female, Background in Design Strategy &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jul 2018, 00:27

Profile Review - Indian Female, Background in Design Strategy

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap