GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Feb 2019, 13:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

February 20, 2019

February 20, 2019

08:00 PM EST

09:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. Wednesday, February 20th at 8 PM EST
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

February 21, 2019

February 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.

Programs designed to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Programs designed to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 05:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:35) correct 24% (01:48) wrong based on 146 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 88: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Programs designed to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that it will eventually be removed from endangered species lists.

A. to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that it will eventually be removed

B. to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that they will eventually be removed

C. to reintroduce condors into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that they will eventually be removed

D. for reintroducing the condor in the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that they will eventually be removed

E. for the condor to be reintroduced into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that it will be eventually removed

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Programs designed to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 09:45
Meaning: Programs have been successful in reintroducing condor into the wild
programs convince environmentalist that condor will be removed from endangered species list

Option B, C and D have pronoun "they" which may refer to environmentalists or far off programs which does not seem logical

E changes the meaning , programs designed for the condor to be introduced vs in A programs designed to reintroduce condor into the wild...into the wild as a modifier also is misplaced in option E

which makes Option A as correct

aragonn wrote:

Programs designed to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that it will eventually be removed from endangered species lists.

A. to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that it will eventually be removed

B. to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that they will eventually be removed

C. to reintroduce condors into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that they will eventually be removed

D. for reintroducing the condor in the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that they will eventually be removed

E. for the condor to be reintroduced into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that it will be eventually removed

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Programs designed to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 18:19
SIMPLE EXPLANATION

B. to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that they will eventually be removed (Incorrect, "they" who??, condor or environmentalists)

C. to reintroduce condors into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that they will eventually be removed ( incorrect, same as B)

D. for reintroducing the condor in the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that they will eventually be removed ( incorrect, designed for is incorrect and awkward)

E. for the condor to be reintroduced into the wild have been successful enough to convince environmentalists that it will be eventually removed ( Incorrect, awkward and distorts meaning)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 23:10
Reading the sentence you can gauge that if the subject is 'The Condor' then it will always be referred to as 'it'. So keeping this in mind, we go through the answer choices:

A : The right option. 'It' correctly references 'The Condor'. There is no ambiguity as to which subject 'it' refers to.

B : This sentence has a changed meaning now. It appears the environmentalists will be taken off the endangered list because the condors were reintroduced.

C: While this sentence now fixes the 'Condors' and 'It' issue, 'they' could still refer to the environmentalists. Still ambiguous.

D: This has the same issue as C.

E: 'Will be eventually removed'. I found this part of the sentence to be a bit off. 'Eventually be removed' is a better way to put it across.
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Programs designed to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 00:26
A very close call between A and C because both make sense according to me

In option C: -
* The pronoun "they" rightly refers to "Condors" .
* "They" doesn't make sense with "environmentalists" --> ...that environmentalists will eventually be removed from endangered species lists. Absolute garbage
* Hence "they" can only refer to "Condors"

In Option A: -
* "it" can only refer to "condor"

Hence I feel both are correct and there is nothing wrong in both the options.

aragonn GMATNinja - Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 04:10
pikolo2510 - Ofcourse grammatically both are right, but lets think the meaning of both options. So there is a list of endangered species, now what one should add in this list? 'The condor', which mean all species. while 'condors' means a bunch of condor :P. Obviously first one is only giving the intended meaning.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 04:31
aragonn wrote:
pikolo2510 - Ofcourse grammatically both are right, but lets think the meaning of both options. So there is a list of endangered species, now what one should add in this list? 'The condor', which mean all species. while 'condors' means a bunch of condor :P. Obviously first one is only giving the intended meaning.

Thank you aragonn . It makes sense now

I was actually surprised when everyone wrote pronoun ambiguity to eliminate option C

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 04:33
aragonn wrote:

Programs will be designed to introduce something, with this in mind, I eliminated D and E

Since animals wont be removed from a list, rather than a type of species will be removed from a list.(This was the main intent behind this sentence)

Out of A, B and C
It singular pronoun is correctly referring to the condor. ->Correct answer

They is referring to what here??, environmentalists plural is ok, but the intent of the sentence is talk about a species(singular) -> Eliminate

They is referring to what here??, environmentalists plural is ok, but the intent of the sentence is talk about a species(singular) -> Eliminate

If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 05:04
Between A and E.E is not correct because it is passive ,can someone explain more on the same?
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2019, 09:55
aragonn wrote:

Official Explanation:

This sentence is correct as written.

Since the underlined portion of the sentence contains a pronoun, check whether it agrees with its referent. The singular pronoun it clearly and unambiguously refers to the singular noun the condor. There appears to be no error in the original sentence, so keep choice A. Because there is no error in the original sentence, there are no obvious repeaters to look for, so evaluate the remaining answer choices individually, looking for reasons to eliminate each.

Choice B incorrectly uses the plural pronoun they to refer to the singular noun condor, so eliminate choice B for a pronoun agreement error. For choice C, the plural pronoun they is ambiguous, since it could refer to either condors or environmentalists, so eliminate choice C. Choice D incorrectly uses the plural pronoun they to refer to the singular noun condor, so eliminate choice D for a pronoun agreement error. Choice E correctly uses the singular pronoun it to refer to the singular noun condor, but the phrase for the condor incorrectly modifies designed, suggesting that the programs were designed for the condor rather than for reintroducing the condor into the wild, so eliminate choice E for a modifier error.

Choice A: Correct

Choice B: No. The plural pronoun they refers to the singular noun condor. Pronoun agreement.

Choice C: No. The plural pronoun they could refer to either condors or environmentalists. Pronoun ambiguity.

Choice D: No. The plural pronoun they refers to the singular noun condor. Pronoun agreement.

Choice E: No. The phrase for the condor incorrectly modifies designed. Misplaced modifier.

The correct answer is choice A.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

GMAT Club Bot
Programs designed to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2019, 09:55

Programs designed to reintroduce the condor into the wild have been

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap