GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 11:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

QOTD: Hyperkalemia is a potentially fatal condition found

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Hyperkalemia is a potentially fatal condition found  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 09:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:57) correct 41% (02:17) wrong based on 679 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 32: Critical Reasoning

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Hyperkalemia is a potentially fatal condition found most often in patients on kidney dialysis, who have lost over 80% of their kidney function. The condition, which causes pain, severely erratic pulse, and tissue swelling throughout the body, stems from extremely high levels of potassium in the blood and, in an emergency, can be treated with an injection of calcium chloride. However, since calcium chloride destroys surrounding tissues if it escapes from a vein, doctors overwhelmingly prefer preventative treatments. Nonetheless, recipients of a donated kidney are not monitored for hyperkalemia after a successful kidney transplant.

If the statements above are all true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?

(A) Most patients on kidney dialysis have high levels of potassium in their blood.
(B) Kidney failure is likely to cause severely erratic pulse and tissue swelling.
(C) The kidneys are at least partially responsible for maintaining adequate levels of calcium chloride in the blood.
(D) Patients who have lost 50% of their kidney function are not likely to develop hyperkalemia.
(E) Proper kidney function most likely involves the removal of excess potassium from the bloodstream.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 09:30
Inference questions can be a pain in the butt, just because there may or may not be much structure to the argument. Ultimately, all we're trying to do is find four wrong answers that aren't supported by the passage. But that can be tricky, because sometimes it's hard to really make sense of the passage before moving on to the answer choices.

In this particular question, we're not directly asked to explain or identify a discrepancy, but it seems like we have a discrepancy in this passage: despite the fact that doctors prefer treatments to prevent hyperkalemia, kidney transplant recipients are not monitored for hyperkalemia... why not? Here's what we know:

• Hyperkalemia is found most often in patients on kidney dialysis--patients who have lost over 80% of their kidney function.
  • Hyperkalemia is potentially fatal and causes pain, severely erratic pulse, and tissue swelling throughout the body.
  • Hyperkalemia stems from extremely high levels of potassium in the blood.
  • In an emergency, hyperkalemia can be treated with an injection of calcium chloride.
  • Since calcium chloride destroys surrounding tissues if it escapes from a vein, doctors overwhelmingly prefer preventative treatments for hyperkalemia. In other words, doctors prefer to prevent the condition rather than letting it develop and then having to treat it with calcium chloride in an emergency. We can infer that doctors would want to monitor patients who are likely to develop hyperkalemia in order to provide preventative treatments and avoid using calcium chloride.
  • However, recipients of a donated kidney are NOT monitored for hyperkalemia after a successful kidney transplant.

At first, this might seem like a discrepancy. Kidney transplant recipients clearly have had kidney problems, so wouldn't it be better to monitor those patients for hyperkalemia rather than waiting until the condition develops and then having to use calcium chloride in an emergency? But if those recipients are actually NOT likely to develop hyperkalemia, then this information makes sense. So, which of the choices can properly be inferred based on what we know?

(A) We are told that hyperkalemia is found most often in patients on kidney dialysis, but that does not necessarily mean that most patients on kidney dialysis have hyperkalemia or high levels of potassium in their blood. In other words, patients on kidney dialysis are more likely to have hyperkalemia, but we don't know exactly how likely those patients are to have the condition. (A) can be eliminated.

(B) Hyperkalemia is found most often in patients who have lost over 80% of their kidney function. As explained for choice (A), this does not necessarily mean that those patients are likely to have hyperkalemia or the associated symptoms. (B) can be eliminated.

(C) Calcium chloride can be used to treat hyperkalemia in an emergency, but that does not necessarily mean that levels of calcium chloride in the blood have anything to do with the development of the condition. Thus, we cannot infer that the kidneys play a role in maintaining adequate levels of calcium chloride in the blood, and (C) can be eliminated.

(D) As explained for choices (A) and (B), we don't know exactly how likely it is for patients with kidney failure to have hyperkalemia. If most patients with 80% kidney failure develop hyperkalemia, it is certainly possible that patients with only 50% kidney failure are also likely to develop the condition, but we don't know one way or the other. So choice (D) can be eliminated.

(E) Hyperkalemia stems from extremely high levels of potassium in the blood and is found most often in patients who have lost over 80% of their kidney function. This suggests that kidneys play a role in keeping potassium levels in the blood from getting too high. Thus, choice (E) is the best answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

General Discussion
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: Hyperkalemia is a potentially fatal condition found  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 09:46
My Answer => E

Hyperkalemia is a potentially fatal condition found most often in patients on kidney dialysis, who have lost over 80% of their kidney function. The condition, which causes pain, severely erratic pulse, and tissue swelling throughout the body, stems from extremely high levels of potassium in the blood and, in an emergency, can be treated with an injection of calcium chloride. However, since calcium chloride destroys surrounding tissues if it escapes from a vein, doctors overwhelmingly prefer preventative treatments. Nonetheless, recipients of a donated kidney are not monitored for hyperkalemia after a successful kidney transplant.

If the statements above are all true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?

(A) Most patients on kidney dialysis have high levels of potassium in their blood. -Maybe true. We can't be sure. Because Hyperkalemia is caused mostly in those cases in which kidney's functionality is reduced to 20% or less.
(B) Kidney failure is likely to cause severely erratic pulse and tissue swelling. -Maybe true. We are not talking about kidney failure cases in this argument.
(C) The kidneys are at least partially responsible for maintaining adequate levels of calcium chloride in the blood. -Irrelevant
(D) Patients who have lost 50% of their kidney function are not likely to develop hyperkalemia. -Can't say from the given information. All we need is a high level of potassium. Kidney's percentage loss of functionality is merely an indicator.
(E) Proper kidney function most likely involves the removal of excess potassium from the bloodstream. -CORRECT ANSWER. In a properly working kidney system, hyperkalemia is not found. The cause of hyperkalemia is excessive potassium. Thus, normal kidney function most likely involves the removal of excess potassium, thus helping prevent hyperkalemia.

Please correct me if i am going wrong anywhere in my thought process.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 09:49

Type- Inference
Pre-thinking - If post a successful kidney transplant, one is not monitored for hyperkalemia --> he/she does not have extremely high levels of potassium in the blood

(A) Most patients on kidney dialysis have high levels of potassium in their blood. - Incorrect
(B) Kidney failure is likely to cause severely erratic pulse and tissue swelling. - Incorrect - some other cause might cause these symptoms
(C) The kidneys are at least partially responsible for maintaining adequate levels of calcium chloride in the blood. - Incorrect - Calcium chloride may not even be present in blood in a normal person
(D) Patients who have lost 50% of their kidney function are not likely to develop hyperkalemia. - Incorrect - we are only given that people who have lost 80% of kidney function suffer from hyperkalemia
(E) Proper kidney function most likely involves the removal of excess potassium from the bloodstream. - Correct

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jun 2017, 11:42
souvik101990 wrote:

(A) Most patients on kidney dialysis have high levels of potassium in their blood.
(B) Kidney failure is likely to cause severely erratic pulse and tissue swelling.
(C) The kidneys are at least partially responsible for maintaining adequate levels of calcium chloride in the blood.
(D) Patients who have lost 50% of their kidney function are not likely to develop hyperkalemia.
(E) Proper kidney function most likely involves the removal of excess potassium from the bloodstream.

I picked C by POE. Here is how..

(A) Most patients on kidney dialysis have high levels of potassium in their blood. We are given a case of 80% failure of Kidneys. We have no data for a level less than that.

(B) Kidney failure is likely to cause severely erratic pulse and tissue swelling. These are the symptoms of 80% failure. No data is given for symptoms of a level less than that.

(C) The kidneys are at least partially responsible for maintaining adequate levels of calcium chloride in the blood. I picked this one by POE

(D) Patients who have lost 50% of their kidney function are not likely to develop hyperkalemia. We don't know that. This condition is found most often in 80% failure.

(E) Proper kidney function most likely involves the removal of excess potassium from the bloodstream. High Potassium levels in hyperkalemia may occur because of a thousand reasons. There may be a possibility that the Potassium does not reach the blood at all unless Kidneys are failing. So, there is no need to remove it at all. Long story short, we have no data about normal kidney function.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Originally posted by umg on 13 Jun 2017, 10:50.
Last edited by umg on 13 Jun 2017, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 11:28
Hi,

I got stuck between D and E but I chose D because in the passage it states patients who give their kidney are not monitored for Hyperkalemia which means if a person loses 50% ability of his kidney then he is not in danger of getting Hyperkalemia which is stated in option D.
Although option E was close but in passage it says Hyperkalemia is found in people who are on dialysis then may be the dialysis is the reason for high potassium level which is not normally observed in the body.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 19:42
selected E by PoE.

A) Most patients on kidney dialysis have high levels of potassium in their blood.

- Not supported by passage, kidney dialysis only helps to find hyperkalemia present in Ppl. who have lost 80% of kidney function.

- The word kidney failure is not mentioned in passsage

-Not supported by passage. CaCl is only used during emergency and is a corrective treatment.

(D) Patients who have lost 50% of their kidney function are not likely to develop hyperkalemia. -

Not supported by passage.

- Excess potassium causes pain during hyperkalemia, which occurs when kidney looses 80% of its function. hence a proper kidney function should remove potassium.
Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 03:03
The answer must be option E. My take :

This is an inference type question where we are presented a set of facts and asked to draw a conclusion.

Pre-think - The paragraph states that when healthy kidney is transplanted , chances of Hyperkalemia come down. On the contrary a kidney effected by Hyperkalemia will fail to flush out excess potassium. So one inference could be that healthy kidney needs to flush out excess potassium.

POE -

Option a - Not implied by the passage
Option b - Kidney failure not mentioned
Option c - Not supported
Option d - Not implied
Option e - On the lines of our pre-thinking.

The answer has to be option E.

" The few , the fearless "

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:01
arpansamal wrote:
Hi,

I got stuck between D and E but I chose D because in the passage it states patients who give their kidney are not monitored for Hyperkalemia which means if a person loses 50% ability of his kidney then he is not in danger of getting Hyperkalemia which is stated in option D.
Although option E was close but in passage it says Hyperkalemia is found in people who are on dialysis then may be the dialysis is the reason for high potassium level which is not normally observed in the body.

Option E is right because the stimulus says that Hyperkalemia is found on people on dialysis, who have lost 80% function of their kidney. This implies that some people on dialysis who have not lost 80% function of their kidney may not develop
Hyperkalemia. Dialysis isn't the cause. That's how you misinterpreted option E.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:28
This is not gmat official. This level of vague inference is not tested on gmat.

Posted from my mobile device

Migatte no Gokui

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 23:53
The problem with answer choice D is we can't say for sure as it is nowhere explicitly mentioned. Always choose the answer choice which can be properly substantiated only from the information given.

Cheers!

arpansamal wrote:
Hi,

Stuck in the 600-700 score bracket? I welcome you to read my four-step course of action to a modest score.
I also invite you to critique and help me find flaws in my modus operandi. Thanks!

Re: QOTD: Hyperkalemia is a potentially fatal condition found &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jul 2018, 23:53

QOTD: Hyperkalemia is a potentially fatal condition found

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap