It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 20:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17712 [1], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:48) correct 33% (00:39) wrong based on 281 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 120: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily bought directly.

(A) stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily

(B) stockbrokers are helping many people who are turning to them for help in buying stocks that they could easily have

(C) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help from them to buy stocks that could be easily

(D) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help to buy stocks that easily could have been

(E) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17712 [1], given: 1986

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1902 [0], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 12:47
Unless you’re brand-new here (and if you are, welcome to GMAT Club!), you probably know that “-ing” modifiers are a pretty common thing on GMAT SC (more on the GMAT’s various uses of “-ing” words here).

In this particular case, if we start the sentence with “not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities…”, we’ll eventually need to follow that phrase with a group of people that wouldn’t actually trust themselves to choose among those investment opportunities…

Quote:
(A) stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily

… and the “stockbrokers” probably aren’t going to make sense here. The stockbrokers presumably trust themselves to choose stocks. So (A) is clearly wrong.

You could also argue that the pronoun “them” is a problem in (A). The most recent plural is “people” – but we know that “them” should logically refer to “stockbrokers” (“stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to [stockbrokers]…”).

I’m not sure that the use of “them” is definitively WRONG, though: the antecedent “stockbrokers” isn’t so far away, and if “them” was referring to “people”, then it would probably say “themselves.” And as you may know, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule, anyway.

So you might be able to accept the pronoun “them”, but because of the “-ing” modifier, (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) stockbrokers are helping many people who are turning to them for help in buying stocks that they could easily have

This basically has the exact same error as in (A): literally, this is saying that the stockbrokers don’t trust themselves to pick stocks, and that can’t be right.

(B) also introduces an extra pronoun, “they” – and I think it’s more problematic than the “them.” It’s just getting messy and confusing now: “them” reaches back to “stockbrokers”, but then the next pronoun, “they”, refers back to “people” again? That’s truly confusing. (B) is gone.

Quote:
(C) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help from them to buy stocks that could be easily

We’ve fixed the logic of that “-ing” modifier, but now there are new problems. The biggest problem is that (C) is redundant now: “people are turning to stockbrokers for help from them to buy stocks…” There’s absolutely no reason to say “from them” here. It’s enough to just say “people are turning to stockbrokers for help.”

A much, much smaller issue: the GMAT seems to prefer the idiom “help in buying” over “help to buy.” (A similar official SC question deals with “aid in healing” vs. “aid to heal” – basically the same issue.) Personally, I don’t see any problem with saying “help to buy”, and I wouldn’t cross out (C) based solely on the idiom – but for whatever it’s worth, I suspect that the GMAT sees “help to buy” as incorrect in this question. I’m just not convinced that you’ll ever see this particular idiom ever again, since there are about 25,000 of them in English.

In any case, the redundancy thing is a pretty big issue. (C) is gone.

Let’s put the last two side-by-side, since the differences between them are pretty small:
Quote:
(D) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help to buy stocks that easily could have been
E) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be

There are really only two things going on here. First, we have the idiom: “help to buy” in (D), vs. “help in buying” in (E). As we mentioned above, the GMAT seems to prefer “help in buying” – but I again, I wouldn’t bet my life on that.

And in general, I don’t worry much about idioms, unless I’m CERTAIN about them. More on that here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html

But as we discussed in our beginner’s guide to SC, meaning is a really, really big deal on the GMAT. And the only other difference between (D) and (E) – at the end of the underlined portion – is the key to the question.

In (D), we have “stocks that easily could have been bought directly”, and that doesn’t completely make sense, since it suggests that the stocks could have been bought directly – in the past! Then why is it that people “are turning to stockbrokers” now – in the present progressive tense, which can ONLY be used for an action that’s happening right now?

(E) fixes that problem: it just uses the conditional tense “could easily be bought directly”, which makes much more sense with the fact that people “are turning to stockbrokers” now.

So (E) is the correct answer, even if you don’t pay much attention to the idiom.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1902 [0], given: 454

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 19

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.42
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 18:27
This post received
KUDOS
I say E. A and B are wrong as the second clause needs to refer to people instead of stockbrokers (or else the sentence doesn't make sense! "not trusting themselves to choose wisely, stockbrokers are...")

So now between C, D and E.
C is wordy and awkward with the "turning to stockbrokers for help from them to..."
D has a verb tense error "could have been" doesn't jive with the present tense in the sentence.
E is correct!

--

Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market, stockbrokers are helping many people who turn to them to buy stocks that could be easily bought directly.

(E) many people are turning to stockbrokers for help in buying stocks that could easily be

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 19

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '19, NUS '20, NTU '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 20:00
souvik101990 wrote:

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Will go with E
Pronoun ambiguity/antecedent problem in (a) (b) (c)
in E help in buying is better than help to buy in D

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 20:28
Should be E.
Trusting should modify people. And the correct usage is help in buying .

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 67

WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 00:22
souvik101990 wrote:

I think the Ans is E

A and B are incorrectly implying that stockbrokers do not trust themselves, as stockbrokers is right after the phrase 'Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market'.

C) the thing that's wrong with C is that turning to stockbrokers for help should be enough from them is a repetition, hence there is redundancy in the sentence

D)ideally its goes like this :i need your help in doing this.

Hence, 'many people are turning to stockbrokers for help to buy stocks that easily could have been' is wrong

E)All issues resolved

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 67

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 101

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 06:03
This question tests the use of modifiers. It boils down to D vs E. My take :

Option D : Makes use of "to - infinitive form". The meaning conveyed is - Many people turn to stock holders with an intention to buy stocks that could be bought directly. This meaning does not make sense. Why would people have an intention to buy stocks from brokers when they can be bought directly.

Option E corrects the aforementioned error. Hence Option E. Please correct me if I am wrong.

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 101

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [2], given: 61

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
Will go with E
A B can be easily eliminated because of modifier error.
Not trusting must modify people and not stockbrokers, because people are not trusting themselves.
C is wordy people are turning to stockbrokers "for help from them"
This can very well be written as turning to stockbrokers for help.
Between D and E there is no idiom error both help in buying/ help to buy are correct idioms.
D has the tense error. Present perfect have been is not correct as the whole sentence is in present tense.
Answer E

Sent from my SM-N9007 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Regards
SandySilva

Kudos [?]: 14 [2], given: 61

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9299 [2], given: 342

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sandysilva wrote:
Will go with E
Not trusting must modify people and not stockbrokers, because people are not trusting themselves.
Between D and E there is no idiom error both help in buying/ help to buy are correct idioms.
D has the tense error. Present perfect have been is not correct as the whole sentence is in present tense.
Answer E

Hello sandysilva,

You are the only one who has pointed the verb tense error in Choice D that is the real deal breaker.

Choice D uses the verb could have been bought. This verb phrase suggests a possibility of an action that could have happened but actually does not happen. This certainly is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Per the context of the sentence, the stockbrokers need help to buy those stocks that they could actually buy easily.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9299 [2], given: 342

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 10:57
egmat wrote:
sandysilva wrote:
Will go with E
Answer E

Hello sandysilva,

You are the only one who has pointed the verb tense error in Choice D that is the real deal breaker.

Choice D uses the verb could have been bought. This verb phrase suggests a possibility of an action that could have happened but actually does not happen. This certainly is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Per the context of the sentence, the stockbrokers need help to buy those stocks that they could actually buy easily.

Thanks.
Shraddha

For the colored portion above, I feel that the intended meaning of the sentence is exactly that -- a possible present situations that have not happened --- for which "could have been" appears to be correct phrase to use.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9299 [0], given: 342

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 11:02
sevenplusplus wrote:
egmat wrote:

For the colored portion above, I feel that the intended meaning of the sentence is exactly that -- a possible present situations that have not happened --- for which "could have been" appears to be correct phrase to use.

Hello sevenplusplus,

In my explanation of Choice D, what I meant to say is that per the context of the sentence, we need to present an action that will possibly take place. That is why the sentence uses the verb could be bought.

The verb could have been bought denotes an action that certainly had the possibility to happen but actually never took place ever.

Let me present an example here:

In the accident last night, I was lucky to have lost only the headlights of my car; the damages could have been worse.

The above-mentioned sentence clearly mentions the loss I suffered. I just lost the headlights. The latter part of the sentence suggests that there was possibility of more serious damages but nothing of that sort actually took place.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9299 [0], given: 342

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 07:11
Hi

Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among the wide array of investment opportunities on the market => In my opinion this part acts as a modifier. Now ask "Who don't trust themselves" (answer: Many People) not Stockbrokers.

Option A & B are out

Option C: Has a pronoun ambiguity - "them" could refer Stockbrokers as well as People

Option D: Tense Error. No need to use present perfect tense "have been" here.

Option E: Resolves all errors.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 44

Re: QOTD: Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2017, 07:11

QOTD: Not trusting themselves to choose wisely among

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap