GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4935
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 08:54
Expert's post
4
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:17) correct 53% (01:27) wrong based on 236 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 253: Sentence Correction


Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here


Since it has become known that several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank, the bank's depositors, who had been worried by rumors that the bank faced-impending financial collapse, have been greatly relieved. They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false. Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.

(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.

(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 1593
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 08:56
5
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Since this is a Bold Face question, let's start by ignoring the BF and focusing on the conclusion and argument. The conclusion is that "[the reasoning of the bank's depositor's] might well be overoptimistic." Now let's breakdown the argument (again, ignore the BF for now):

  • First, there were "rumors that the bank faced-impending financial collapse." These rumors made the bank's depositors worried.
  • Then, it became known that "several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank." This news made the bank's depositors relieved (i.e. made them stop worrying).
  • Why were they relieved by this news? "They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false." - If several of the bank's top execs have been buying shares in their own bank, they must have faith in the bank's financial soundness. Thus, according to the depositors, the actions of the execs shows that the rumors about financial collapse must be false.
  • Why does the author believe that the depositors are being overoptimistic? Because "corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health"

According to the depositors, the execs actions are evidence that the execs have faith in the bank's financial soundness. The author suggests an alternative explanation for the execs actions. The execs might be buying the shares NOT because they have faith but because they want to dispel negative rumors about the company's health. Obviously such rumors, true or not, would be bad for the company, so it makes sense that execs would want to dispel those rumors.

Now that we understand the argument, let's see how the boldfaced portions fit into that argument:

    1) "several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank" - The depositors took this as evidence that the execs had faith in the bank's financial soundness. According to the author, this evidence does NOT necessarily support the depositors' belief.
    2) "since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health" - In other words, "BECAUSE there's another possible explanation," the author questions the depositors' logic. The 2nd boldfaced portion is the reason why the author questions their logic

Which answer choice best describes the boldfaced portions?

Quote:
(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

The depositors believe that the first BF portion is evidence that the execs had faith in the bank's financial soundness. Thus, the first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting the conclusion of the depositors. The first half looks good.

The second BF portion explains WHY the author questions the depositors' logic. The 2nd includes an alternative explanation for the execs actions. So perhaps those actions do NOT support the conclusion of the depositors. Thus, the 2nd gives a reason for questioning whether the 1st actually supports the depositors' conclusion. (A) looks good.

Quote:
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.

As described for (A), the first part looks good. But the second part is not the author's conclusion. The author's conclusion (the contrary conclusion) is that "[the reasoning of the bank's depositor's] might well be overoptimistic." The second BF portion supports the author's conclusion, but it is not the conclusion itself. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.

The first is evidence in support of the depositors' conclusion, not the main conclusion of the argument. Again, the second is not the main conclusion. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

The author does not claim that the execs are buying shares because "corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health." In other words, the 2nd portion is not presented as an explanation itself. Instead, it is the reason the author questions the depositors' explanation.

Also, the author's goal is not to explain why the execs are buying shares. The author does not pretend to know the motives behind the execs actions. All the author wants to show is that the depositors' reasoning might be wrong. So the first half of (D) does not accurately describe the purpose of the argument as a whole. Eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

The author is not necessarily trying to establish that the execs were buying shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health. The author simply wants to present this possibility to show that the depositors might be wrong.

Also, as described for (D), the first half does not accurately describe the purpose of the argument as a whole. Eliminate (E).

(A) is the best option.
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- Wednesdays, February 14 - April 4!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 469
Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 10:04
GMATNinja wrote:
Since this is a Bold Face question, let's start by ignoring the BF and focusing on the conclusion and argument. The conclusion is that "[the reasoning of the bank's depositor's] might well be overoptimistic." Now let's breakdown the argument (again, ignore the BF for now):

  • First, there were "rumors that the bank faced-impending financial collapse." These rumors made the bank's depositors worried.
  • Then, it became known that "several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank." This news made the bank's depositors relieved (i.e. made them stop worrying).
  • Why were they relieved by this news? "They reason that, since top executives evidently have faith in the bank's financial soundness, those worrisome rumors must be false." - If several of the bank's top execs have been buying shares in their own bank, they must have faith in the bank's financial soundness. Thus, according to the depositors, the actions of the execs shows that the rumors about financial collapse must be false.
  • Why does the author believe that the depositors are being overoptimistic? Because "corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health"

According to the depositors, the execs actions are evidence that the execs have faith in the bank's financial soundness. The author suggests an alternative explanation for the execs actions. The execs might be buying the shares NOT because they have faith but because they want to dispel negative rumors about the company's health. Obviously such rumors, true or not, would be bad for the company, so it makes sense that execs would want to dispel those rumors.

Now that we understand the argument, let's see how the boldfaced portions fit into that argument:

    1) "several of a bank's top executives have been buying shares in their own bank" - The depositors took this as evidence that the execs had faith in the bank's financial soundness. According to the author, this evidence does NOT necessarily support the depositors' belief.
    2) "since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health" - In other words, "BECAUSE there's another possible explanation," the author questions the depositors' logic. The 2nd boldfaced portion is the reason why the author questions their logic

Which answer choice best describes the boldfaced portions?

Quote:
(A) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second gives a reason for questioning that support.

The depositors believe that the first BF portion is evidence that the execs had faith in the bank's financial soundness. Thus, the first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting the conclusion of the depositors. The first half looks good.

The second BF portion explains WHY the author questions the depositors' logic. The 2nd includes an alternative explanation for the execs actions. So perhaps those actions do NOT support the conclusion of the depositors. Thus, the 2nd gives a reason for questioning whether the 1st actually supports the depositors' conclusion. (A) looks good.

Quote:
(B) The first describes evidence that has been taken as supporting a conclusion; the second states a contrary conclusion that is the main conclusion of the argument.

As described for (A), the first part looks good. But the second part is not the author's conclusion. The author's conclusion (the contrary conclusion) is that "[the reasoning of the bank's depositor's] might well be overoptimistic." The second BF portion supports the author's conclusion, but it is not the conclusion itself. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second states that conclusion.

The first is evidence in support of the depositors' conclusion, not the main conclusion of the argument. Again, the second is not the main conclusion. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second gives the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

The author does not claim that the execs are buying shares because "corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health." In other words, the 2nd portion is not presented as an explanation itself. Instead, it is the reason the author questions the depositors' explanation.

Also, the author's goal is not to explain why the execs are buying shares. The author does not pretend to know the motives behind the execs actions. All the author wants to show is that the depositors' reasoning might be wrong. So the first half of (D) does not accurately describe the purpose of the argument as a whole. Eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) The first describes the circumstance that the argument as a whole seeks to explain; the second provides evidence in support of the explanation that the argument seeks to establish.

The author is not necessarily trying to establish that the execs were buying shares in their own company in a calculated attempt to dispel negative rumors about the company's health. The author simply wants to present this possibility to show that the depositors might be wrong.

Also, as described for (D), the first half does not accurately describe the purpose of the argument as a whole. Eliminate (E).

(A) is the best option.


Thanks for the explanation !!
_________________

" The few , the fearless "

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Mar 2018
Posts: 45
Re: QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 12:14
A, but this one is tricky. If the entire last sentence had been bolded the correct answer would be B. But since the part of the sentence that actually represents the conclusion "Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic" is NOT included in the sections we are comparing, we can eliminate B and conclude that A is correct.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 885
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 03:59
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

I was able to correctly identify main conclusion of argument as :
Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic

The think that tricked me is to catch purpose of however
that followed main conclusion.

Also, in typical bold face question, do we not link bold face to
main conclusion than linking it to a conclusion (say conclusion of
depositors in this eg as in (A)
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2018
Posts: 3
Re: QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 04:34
A. Simply focus on “however” and “questioning “


Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8028
Location: Pune, India
QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 01:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

I was able to correctly identify main conclusion of argument as :
Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic

The think that tricked me is to catch purpose of however
that followed main conclusion.

Also, in typical bold face question, do we not link bold face to
main conclusion than linking it to a conclusion (say conclusion of
depositors in this eg as in (A)


Look at the entire sentence:
"Such reasoning might well be overoptimistic, however, since corporate executives have been known to buy shares in their own company..."

"however" is the connector for "such reasoning might well be overoptimistic" with the part of the argument before it.
You could just as well place it before like this: "However, such reasoning might well be overoptimistic,"
"However" shows contrast with the argument before it.

The connector "since" and what follows gives the reason for why such reasoning may be overoptimistic.

The role played by the sentence in bold depends on the argument. If the argument has a main conclusion and a sub conclusion, a sentence in bold could support either, be against either or be either.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2018, 01:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

QOTD: Since it has become known that several of a bank's top

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.