It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: The pharmaceutical company conceded

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16970 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
QOTD: The pharmaceutical company conceded [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 11:30
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (00:56) correct 38% (01:24) wrong based on 211 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 80: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin rashes experienced by its users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused a sharp drop in the company’s share price.

(A) users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused
(B) users and pulled the drug off the market, causing
(C) users and had pulled the drug off the market, causing
(D) users, pulled the drug off the market, and caused
(E) users and has pulled the drug off the market, which has caused

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16970 [0], given: 1961

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1563 [2], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 11:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This one is all about parallelism and meaning. Several of the answer choices sound pretty good, but only one of them actually makes sense if you’re strict and literal with the meaning of the sentence.

Quote:

I don’t love the sound of “having pulled the drug off the market”, but I can’t be certain that it’s wrong. “Having pulled the drug off the market” needs to precede some other action – and “caused a sharp drop in the share price” seems to work fine. So I guess that part is OK.

But the parallelism is a problem. The word “caused” follows the parallelism trigger “and”, so something has to be parallel with “caused” – I guess that’s either “contributed” or “conceded.”

Neither of those options makes a lot of sense, though. “The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak… and caused a sharp drop in the company’s share price. Basically, that’s saying that the company directly caused the drop in the share price, and that’s not quite right – it was the combination of the skin rashes and pulling the drug off the market that caused the drop.

It makes even less sense for “caused” to be parallel to “contributed.” “The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak… and caused a sharp drop in the company’s share price.” That’s saying that the drug itself “may have caused” the drop, and that’s not right, either – again, it was the combination of the skin rashes and pulling the drug off the market that caused the drop.

So (A) is out.

Quote:

This is much better! The company “conceded… and pulled the drug off the market.” “Causing” is an –ing modifier (more on those here, and it modifies that entire previous clause. That’s great: the entire story (pharma company’s drug causes rashes, so the firm pulls the drug off the market) is causing the drop in share prices. Keep (B).

Quote:

Only difference here is the use of the past perfect “had pulled.” For this to be correct, the drug would have been pulled off the market first – before the actions in simple past tense (“conceded that its blockbuster drug may have caused skin rashes…”). And that makes no sense. (C) is gone.

Quote:

Now everything is parallel! So we have “The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak…, pulled the drug off the market, and caused a sharp drop…” That might sound OK, but it doesn’t actually make sense. Why would these three actions be parallel to each other? The pharma company didn’t directly cause the drop in the share prices – it’s the entire situation that caused it. (B) conveys this meaning much more clearly, so we can eliminate (D).

Quote:

This one is nice, because it’s so clearly wrong. “Which has caused” seems to be modifying “the market”, and that makes no sense. I also can’t really understand why “has pulled” and “has caused” are suddenly in present perfect tense; the mix of verb tenses and modifiers in (B) is much better. (E) is out, and (B) wins.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning

Kudos [?]: 1563 [2], given: 400

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 121

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: The pharmaceutical company conceded [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 11:46
After lots of brainstorming I came down to A.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 121

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 12:46
The Answer is B, for me at least.
Will post my explanation in the morning :)

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 99

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 17:34
souvik101990 wrote:

The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin rashes experienced by its users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused a sharp drop in the company’s share price.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

C should be the correct answer IMO.
1. "had pulled" is required to show that the action happened before "causing" the effect in the residual part of the sentence.
2. -ing modifier is aptly used to show the effect.

For others

Please tell me, if I'm wrong. :)

Will I get kudos for this? :o

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Last edited by rekhabishop on 11 Aug 2017, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 50

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 17:36
The option is B for me. Conceded and pulled should be parallel. That is my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 50

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 18:37
souvik101990 wrote:

Action 1 = contributed

Action 2 = pulled.

These 2 actions are supposed to be parallel.

[V - ing] modifer = causing, which shows combined consequence/result of the 2 preceding actions.

So, IMO B is the correct choice.

Thanks for the question. Have a good weekend :)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 02:03
The pharmaceutical company conceded that its blockbuster drug may have contributed to the recent outbreak of skin rashes experienced by its users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused a sharp drop in the company???s share price.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 120

GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 06:26
IMO B

(A) users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused - parallelism error
(B) users and pulled the drug off the market, causing - conceded & pulled are parallel
(C) users and had pulled the drug off the market, causing - parallelism
(D) users, pulled the drug off the market, and caused - parallelism
(E) users and has pulled the drug off the market, which has caused - parallelism

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 120

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 06:36
B

Sent from my ASUS_Z010DD using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 06:45

1. Here company did 2 things: accepted something and pulled the drug out of market. So "conceded" and "pulled" should be parallel.
2. We do not need a perfect tense since the actions are not done in a sequential order.
3. Since company did 2 actions, we need "and" in the sentence to join the two actions and link them with the company.
Thus, option "B" has to be correct.

(A) users and, having pulled the drug off the market, caused - the striked part in the sentence becomes non-essential information. Thus the meaning of the sentence is "company conceded something and caused the shares to drop". This is absurd. Company can't cause a drop in shares, the action of drug being pulled out of market led to drop in share price.
(B) users and pulled the drug off the market, causing -Correct as per aforesaid explanation
(C) users and had pulled the drug off the market, causing -We do not need a past perfect tense
(D) users, pulled the drug off the market, and caused -Same as option A
(E) users and has pulled the drug off the market, which has caused -which wrongly refers back to market. We need a participle which will explain the impact of removal of the drug from market on the share price. "has" is wrongly used. We do not need a present perfect tense. It should be simple past.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Re: QOTD: The pharmaceutical company conceded   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2017, 06:45

QOTD: The pharmaceutical company conceded

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap