GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jun 2019, 11:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (01:08) correct 44% (01:14) wrong based on 1175 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see them as they were during the formation of the universe.

(A) we see them as they were during

(B) we see them as they had been during

(C) we see them as if during

(D) they appear to us as they did in

(E) they appear to us as though in

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/05/06/science/powerful-source-of-gravity-detected-deep-in-the-universe.html

Since then several thousand such ''quasi-stellar radio sources,'' or quasars, have been discovered. Assuming the yardstick used to measure cosmic distances - the so-called red shift - is valid, many quasars are so far away their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth. They are therefore seen as they were during the infancy of the universe and may be galaxies in an early, extremely brilliant stage of development.

Originally posted by aikido_fudoshin on 11 Mar 2006, 12:12.
Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Jun 2019, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2010, 09:45
Good job working through the tricky verb tenses here! Those who have said that the past perfect is not necessary are correct. Remember, we use the past perfect when talking about multiple past events in order to indicate distant (past perfect) vs. recent past.

In this sentence, we have a present event and a past event, so we use the simple present and past tenses: "we see them (now, in the present) as they were (in the past) during the formation of the universe."

Answer choice D has a little logical glitch. It sounds as though we're saying, "they appear to us now as they appeared to us in the formation of the universe." We certainly weren't around to see what they looked like way back then! Additionally, I don't like "IN the formation of the universe." The formation is a process, not a place, so the construction "DURING the formation" is preferable.

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2006, 16:09
I am for A.
Correct
Had Been is unnecessary
during is wrong
Does not convey the correct meaning.
"though in" does not convey correct meaning.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2006, 08:18
i THINK a is correct

Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see them as they were during the formation of the universe.

(B) we see them as they had been during IMPROPER HAD BEEN USE

(C) we see them as if during NOPS!

(D) they appear to us as they did in I WOULD HAVE PREFERRED DURING INSTEAD OF IN

(E) they appear to us as though in THOUGH IMPROPERLY USED
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2006, 08:22
are -- present
has taken -- present perfect
were -- past

seems correct to me in "A"
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2007, 22:59
aikido_fudoshin wrote:

A.

we see them as they were during... kinda wierd but nothing really wrong.

B: past perfect not needed here. Only describing ONE past action

C: we see them as if during WRONG
D and E: wordy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2013, 08:04
My answer is A.

B. There is no need for Past Perfect because we don't have multiple past events
C. as if during is impossible because we weren't there during the formation of the universe
D and E are wrong because "they appear" as them being active doer is not as good as "we see" the quasars...

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2013, 16:25
why is there no pronoun ambiguity here ? They can refer to both lights and quasars right?
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2013, 09:23
Quote:
why is there no pronoun ambiguity here ? They can refer to both lights and quasars right?

pronoun after a semicolon refers to the first noun in the sentence,which is Quasars here.
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2018, 17:15
GMATNinja, Could you help to explain why D wrong?

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 08:01
hazelnut wrote:

Wrong meaning: In the part "as they did", the verb "did" is used to replace the already used verb "appear" (to avoid repition) - thus the meaning implied is that the way Quasers appear to us now is the same as they appeared to us when the Universe was formed. But, when the Universe was formed, we did not exist. Hence the sentence conveys an absurd meaning.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 11:20
sayantanc2k wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

Wrong meaning: In the part "as they did", the verb "did" is used to replace the already used verb "appear" (to avoid repition) - thus the meaning implied is that the way Quasers appear to us now is the same as they appeared to us when the Universe was formed. But, when the Universe was formed, we did not exist. Hence the sentence conveys an absurd meaning.

Hi

I agree with your interpretation. However, I have another question with regards to the use of "did". Is it legit to replace "did" for "appear"? "appear" is in present tense, and "did" needs a verb in simple past. Or I'm wrong? My decision was to eliminate D was precisely because of the tense mismatch.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 01:18
egmat daagh can you look into the question and share your approach to arrive at the correct answer??

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2019, 14:57
Is something bad with such POE?

(B) we see them as they had been during past perfect is unnecessary
(C) we see them as if during SEE AS requires clause/noun
(D) they appear to us as they did in APPEAR AS requires noun
(E) they appear to us as though in APPEAR AS requires noun

Thanks

sayantanc2k aragonn MikeScarn GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo hazelnut generis
Senior SC Moderator
V
Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 12:10
aikido_fudoshin wrote:

jawele wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

Hi

I agree with your interpretation. However, I have another question with regards to the use of "did". Is it legit to replace "did" for "appear"? "appear" is in present tense, and "did" needs a verb in simple past. Or I'm wrong? My decision was to eliminate D was precisely because of the tense mismatch.

Thanks

Hi jawele , no, "did" does not need to match the simple present tense "appear."

Do, does, or did can "stand in" for previous verbs that are written in simple tense and that must change tenses in the sentence.

Option D requires a verb tense shift, from simple present to simple past, this way:
(1) They appear to us now as they appeared in the formation of the universe.

We do not have to say appeared.
We can use did, simple past tense, to substitute for appeared, also simple past tense.
(2) They appear to us now as they [i]did in the formation of the universe.[/i]

Sentences (1) and (2) mean exactly the same thing. Did = appeared

Hope that helps.

What we do now echoes in eternity.—Marcus Aurelius
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 12:17
jawele wrote:
Is something bad with such POE?

(B) we see them as they had been during past perfect is unnecessary
(C) we see them as if during SEE AS requires clause/noun
(D) they appear to us as they did in APPEAR AS requires noun
(E) they appear to us as though in APPEAR AS requires noun

Thanks

generis

jawele , would you please explain the reasoning behind your "requires" statements? :)

What we do now echoes in eternity.—Marcus Aurelius
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 12:45
Hi generis

Thanks so much for responding to my query. Sure, but please note that my post was a question, so my explanations aren't water proof. Diving in ...

Manhattan prep provides a list of common standard English idioms, and one of the idioms in the list is "VIEW AS". It requires an object to complete the idea what is viewed although that's my reasoning, not Manh.p. Yet, the examples in the book seem to go in line with my idea. I can't quote any problem from OG/GMATprep now, but I'm sure that I have seen at least one. I feel that "SEE AS" can treated as analogous to "VIEW AS".

"APPEAR AS noun" and "APPEAR TO verb" again are two idioms from the list. If you take a stab at some Off problems, you'll realise that that's the case (such as in this one https://gmatclub.com/forum/combining-enormous-physical-strength-with-higher-intelligence-the-nea-87777.html#p1218844 or this https://gmatclub.com/forum/sunspots-vortices-of-gas-associated-with-strong-electromagnetic-79261.html#p1015216 (follow the comments in regard to this discussion), unless of course you will prove me otherwise.

Please let me know what you think or find out
Non-Human User
Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2019, 01:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2019, 01:25

Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics