It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question regarding Q164 in OG10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Question regarding Q164 in OG10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 02:31
This post received
KUDOS
The commission proposed that funding for the park's development, which could be open to the public early next year, is obtained through a local bond issue.

E) development funding for the park, which could be open to the public early next year, is to be

Now I know this is not the answer, but I have a question about the official explanation as to why this choice is incorrect.

OE:
"Choice E, which seriously distorts meaning, says that the commission proposed development funding and that such funding could be open to the public..."

I though the word "which" always refers to the noun right before it (in this case "park"). Why does the OE connect "funding" to "which"?

Someone plz explain!

Last edited by lionheart187 on 14 Sep 2008, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1013 [1], given: 1

Re: Question regarding Q164 in OG10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 03:00
This post received
KUDOS
well, to be honest, when I used to attend the prep classes at a princeton review institute, even the tutors sometimes disagreed with the OE of the official guide. I would have already disregarded answer choice A simply because of the "is." This is because "propose" is a subjunctive verb, which requires "be."

Either way, the descriptive phrase using "which" is a non essential clause, meaning that you can afford to skip this portion without ruining the overall structure and meaning of the sentence. So if I rewrite answer choice A while skipping the non-essential clause, it should sound as follows:

The commission proposed that funding for the park's development......BE obtained through a local bond issue.

hope this helps

Kudos [?]: 1013 [1], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 06:15
I understand that "which" is nonessential, but I want to know why the OE states that in answer choice E, "which" is connected to "development funding" rather than "park" (closest noun to "which")?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1013 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 06:46
i tried so hard to understand this concept as well, but I gave up because i've read so many different texts with conflicting opinions on this subject.

"...funding for the park's development, which...."

some texts I read would even say that "which" is referring to the entire prepositional phrase "funding for the park's development", other texts would say that "which" is referring to only "funding", and still other texts would say that "which" is referring to only "development."

So to eliminate this headache, I realized that the proper GMAT questions would only try to trick you by giving you such problems hoping that you get your mind busy in trying to figure this puzzle out; however, there are usually other problems in the sentence that you should rather focus on. Once you fix those other problems, then the issue of "which" will be solved automatically.

That's what I'm doing at least unless someone else has a concrete solution to share regarding this issue.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2008, 19:20
lionheart187 wrote:
The commission proposed that funding for the park's development, which could be open to the public early next year, is obtained through a local bond issue.

E) development funding for the park, which could be open to the public early next year, is to be

Now I know this is not the answer, but I have a question about the official explanation as to why this choice is incorrect.

OE:
"Choice E, which seriously distorts meaning, says that the commission proposed development funding and that such funding could be open to the public..."

I though the word "which" always refers to the noun right before it (in this case "park"). Why does the OE connect "funding" to "which"?

Someone plz explain!

Which always points to the noun just before it no doubts on this ... here also it points to clause just before it...consider following examples :

1)the architect suggested building luxurious multiplexes ,which according to him is beneficial to the city.

2)the architect built luxurious multiplexes ,which include all the kinds of facilities

now how do u find the clause being modified in the above sentences :

case1 -> which modifies building luxurious multiplexes ,i.e, any clause which succedes the main verb of the architect .
case2)similarly -> modified clause is luxurious multiplexes

hence i believe it should be clear now !!!
the teacher proposed buying new textbooks for the new class ,which according to her is a two day task

the teacher was recruited for the class,which is in the second floor

hence i think we should identify the clause before which rather than
applying it blindly on the noun before it

hTH

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 07:00
spriya wrote:
lionheart187 wrote:

OE:

Someone plz explain!

Which always points to the noun just before it no doubts on this ... here also it points to clause just before it...consider following examples :

1)the architect suggested building luxurious multiplexes ,which according to him is beneficial to the city.

2)the architect built luxurious multiplexes ,which include all the kinds of facilities

now how do u find the clause being modified in the above sentences :

case1 -> which modifies building luxurious multiplexes ,i.e, any clause which succedes the main verb of the architect .
case2)similarly -> modified clause is luxurious multiplexes

hence i believe it should be clear now !!!
the teacher proposed buying new textbooks for the new class ,which according to her is a two day task

the teacher was recruited for the class,which is in the second floor

hence i think we should identify the clause before which rather than
applying it blindly on the noun before it

hTH

I think you made a mistake with your analysis of case 1. In case 1, you said:

the architect suggested building luxurious multiplexes ,which according to him is beneficial to the city. ---->which modifies building luxurious multiplexes ,i.e, any clause which succedes the main verb of the architect

First of all, what comes after the main verb isn't a clause. A clause has both a subject and a verb. What comes after the main verb, which is "suggested", is a present participle "building", which is followed by "luxurious multiplex." So you're trying to say that "which" is referring to the entire present participle phrase. However, when we have a prepositional phrase such as:

1) funding for the park's development, which

which of the 2 sides does "which" here refer to? does it refer to the object of the prepositional phrase "the park's development", does it refer to the subject of the prepositional phrase "funding", or does it refer to the entire prepositional phrase "funding for the park's development"?

regards,

Re: Question regarding Q164 in OG10   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2008, 07:00

Question regarding Q164 in OG10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap