It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 23:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Re: Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 294 [3], given: 103

Re: Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (00:59) correct 29% (01:10) wrong based on 642 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern Oregon, a fungus has for centuries been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees, to become the largest living single organism known to humans.

(A) has for centuries been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees, to become
(B) has slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, and so becoming
(C) that has been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees for centuries has become
(D) that has for centuries slowly woven its way through the roots of trees and has become
(E) that, having slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, to become
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Last edited by Zarrolou on 30 Jul 2013, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 294 [3], given: 103

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8363 [2], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 21:38
This post received
KUDOS
(A) has for centuries been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees, to become --- major problems are the split adverb and the inappropriate setting off the infinitive with a comma.

(B) has slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, and so becoming---- unparallel structuring; there is a sub-clause before and; there is a participial phrase after and

(C) that has been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees for centuries has become --- correct choice as other have pointed out, amending the errors in A and B

(D) that has for centuries slowly woven its way through the roots of trees and has become --- There is no main clause for the sub-clause to depend on. The split adverb is a pain in the neck.

(E) that, having slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, to become --- A plain fragment with no working verb anywhere in sight in the clause

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8363 [2], given: 366

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1492 [0], given: 543

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 01:22
Is A incorrect because there are 2 things going on and this sentence misses "and"

Is this correct?

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1492 [0], given: 543

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 2408 [0], given: 219

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 05:16
fozzzy wrote:
Is A incorrect because there are 2 things going on and this sentence misses "and"

Is this correct?

Do you mean that the sentence should look like this?

Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern Oregon, a fungus has for centuries been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees, AND to become the largest living single organism known to humans.

If this is it, then the answer is no, simply because the two verbs are not parallel.
And moreover, if I say "the fungus has been weaving (...), to become"<== that "to become" implies a voluntary action ("I studied hard to get a good grade").

Also A has a misplaced adverb as daagh says.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2408 [0], given: 219

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 07:14
fozzzy wrote:

Is this correct?

A uses the structure "to become". This is an "infinitive" and infinitives express "intent". So, a possible interpretation is that the fungus has "intentionally" weaved its way so as to become the largest living single organism.

This is clearly nonsensical. One should be aware of this, especially if there is an option with better meaning clarity (as option C here) is present.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 14

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Re: Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in easte [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 20:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member
Re: Re: Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 05:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2016, 07:06
BukrsGmat wrote:
Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern Oregon, a fungus has for centuries been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees, to become the largest living single organism known to humans.

(A) has for centuries been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees, to become
(B) has slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, and so becoming
(C) that has been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees for centuries has become
(D) that has for centuries slowly woven its way through the roots of trees and has become
(E) that, having slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, to become

Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern Oregon, a fungus <------that has been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees for centuries has become the largest living single organism known to humans.

" that " refers to the preceding noun – fungus and the entire part of the sentence after that modifies fungus.

So Correct answer is option (C)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1150 [0], given: 327

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 06:37
daagh wrote:
(A) has for centuries been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees, to become --- major problems are the split adverb and the inappropriate setting off the infinitive with a comma.

(B) has slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, and so becoming---- unparallel structuring; there is a sub-clause before and; there is a participial phrase after and

(C) that has been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees for centuries has become --- correct choice as other have pointed out, amending the errors in A and B

(D) that has for centuries slowly woven its way through the roots of trees and has become --- There is no main clause for the sub-clause to depend on. The split adverb is a pain in the neck.

(E) that, having slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, to become --- A plain fragment with no working verb anywhere in sight in the clause

But i am somehow not convinced with the answer choice because, the question stem has "to" which says intent or purpose. But the answer choice completely distorts the meaning of the sentence. Please explain.

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8363 [0], given: 366

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 07:31
Top Contributor
sumanainampudi
If the original has a purpose to become, then I am afraid it is wrong. No fungus is going to grow to become the largest living organism as if it is taking part in a competition. These phenomena occur as a matter of nature than intent.
Should we not amend a wrong notion found in the original?

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8363 [0], given: 366

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 121

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Re: Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 07:55
Is optional A wrong only because of meaning ?? I mean does it have an issues regarding grammar ?
Pls help .

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50LC using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 121

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8363 [1], given: 366

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
kumar

A) has for centuries been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees, to become --- major problems are the split adverb and the inappropriate setting off the infinitive with a comma.

By setting off the infinitive with a comma, you run the risk of making the main clause non-essential and render the whole choice a fragment with neither a subject nor a verb. This is a solid grammatical error.

Narendran 98845 44509

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 32

GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.16

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:

Hi,

The reason I shortlisted A and C is because, they use "has been", others use "has". Since, "has been" indicates an action that may be still continuing, and that seems probable for the fungus mentioned in the sentence. Then, I selected C, because A had the infinitive use. Let me know, if this is not right, or perhaps would not work in all scenarios.

Thanks,
Bhawana

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 32

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 21:16
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Bbhawini
your reasoning is not only correct but also focused. keep it up. Rest assured that such a selective POE will work in almost 90 to 95 percent of the cases, leaving aside a few topics with five splits.

Narendran 98845 44509

Verbal Forum Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1075 [0], given: 90

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 22:18

(A) has for centuries been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees, to become -- illogical -- the fungus has no intent to become the largest...
(B) has slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, and so becoming - parallelism issue -- clause and verb-ing
(C) that has been slowly weaving its way through the roots of trees for centuries has become - Correct
(D) that has for centuries slowly woven its way through the roots of trees and has become -- no verb for the subject fungus
(E) that, having slowly woven its way through the roots of trees for centuries, to become - same as D

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1075 [0], given: 90

Re: Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2017, 22:18

Re: Beneath the soil of the Malheur National Forest in eastern

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap